S2 understeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 understeer

I have one of the early 93 ABY coupes with the factory 5 spoke alloys. I want to put on a set of after market 17" or 18" rims for every day use to try and improve the handling and hear that its pos to fit slightly wider wheels to the front to get rid of the understeer without over stressing the torsen diff. Has anyone got any experience of this, or can any one recommend a good rim size / offset / tyre combination that fits a standard setup and works for UK roads

18" S8 rims or similiar are Perfect for what your after...I have 19" rims and they are tooo big IMHO and make for an uncomfy ride...

A few folks on the forum run or have run these and they are good to go on a stock setup with no mods iirc.
    Will also allow an upgrade to a big brake kit in the future if required.

Username BRY has some for sale on the forum at the minute for a decent price.
    Theres a thread at the top of the for sale section iirc

Last edited by s2dude; 7 December 2006, 09:27.

Comment

Lee did this on his green goddess, I can't remember the wheel sizes now but it was at least 18" and he had significantly wider rubber up front. Obviously also helps with braking performance too. Search the forum.

You could also stick a stiffer ARB on the back?
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Shameless plug i have some 18" avus for sale as well.

Comment

I get understeer with my 18inch 40 225 tyres but i do have a rs2 arb and a whiteline rear. Its not bad understeer just enough to let you know your pushing it. Oh and each time its been damp or wet. hth
          Chef

Comment

What setting do you have the rear arb on?

Comment

my rear arb is on the hardest, is that right martin?
              Chef

Comment

Yeah, thats what i ran mine on, some people have it on the middle or lowest thats all.

Comment

If i still had mine i'd drill another hole in it to make an even stiffer setting.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, could not get back on before......office internet police . I was looking at a set of 8Jx18 OZ super turismo with 225/40R. Sounds like that may work. I understand 32mm offset works well.

Comment

@ Robins. I know what you mean, the car can do so much more but the understeer is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. another way (tho not practical) is just go sideways in (understeer the car earlier in those corners :mischeif. not very cost effective on the front tyres tho
                      AudiManDan

Comment

That's what started all this, misjudged it at a roundabout early the other morning, almost caught it but just ran out of road, clipped the curb on the way out and the back end came round. I missed a lamp post by not a lot and had a front nearside wheel that was looking in the opposite direction to the offside. Realised then that if Im going to keep taking on these modern reps cars with all that electrickery I need more grip.

Comment

i run 1' toe in on the front, bit sketchy in a straight line at high speed but turns in well, tends to over stear rather than understear,

this is an A4 quattro by the way but intend to try this on my coupe when its finnished

this set up does pull you about a bit tho so be careful if you decide to try it!!

Comment

Originally posted by WabTheKing
                            i run 1' toe in on the front
                            1' toe in???!?!?!?!!! you mean 1" surely?
                            Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                            S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I think I had about a 1' toe out after I bounced off the curb. Does not handle at all well like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X