opinion on following tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on following tyres

hi guys. I am looking for some rubber for my newly acquired Fuchs. Due to the low weight on the forged Fuchs, I have decided to go with premium only to keep unsprung weight down. My choice is between these 3 tyres. Any input. personal experience (good or bad) is greatly appreciated. Maybe someone can add to the list? Personally I like the looks of Continentals due to low weight, but they're noisier and more expensive. Dunlop seems to be best all round tyre, but what I've read they wear much quicker than other 2.

CONTINENTAL ContiPremiumContact 5 225/55/16 95 W Fuel: C Wet: A Noise: 71dB Weight: 9 kg Price (4x): £420

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 XL 225/55/16 99 Y Fuel: C Wet: A Noise: 69dB Weight: 10.6 kg Price (4x): £372

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 225/55/16 95 Y Fuel: C Wet: A Noise: 67dB Weight: 10 kg Price (4x): £372
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Hi mate I like the dunlop sports I have them on my A6 Le Mans Quattro and I use to have them on my S2 excellent tyres and fantastic grip softer compound tyre but worth every penny IMHO

Comment

What sort of mileage you got out of them?
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

On the A6 I got about 15000 miles for a Quattro I thought was good on the S2 I got only 5000 but that was my fault as the tracking was way out!

Comment

of the three - Dunlop.

or Michelin Pilot Sport if you want one a bit better.

Photos when they're fitted ?

Thanks.

Comment

Depending on your driving style/habits, I'd go with the widest Pilot Super Sports you can fit. Fantastic tyre. They grip almost as well as the Dunlop Direzza Sport Star Specs I used to have and last at least twice as long.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I had the Dunlops you listed on Merc c220 cdi and the rear ones wore out in 10k miles. Was not driving it particularly hard or at high speeds, but from experience and owning other Dunlop tyres, they grip really well, however do wear out fast.
              I feel that Continentals are always the overpriced tyre for what it is, but never had it and I'm just expressing my opinion from what I've read.
              I currently have Toyo Proxxes T1Sport on my Coupe 2.6. Only done few thousand miles on them but they feel really good. Definitely the best price for performance tyre that I have seen and this is what I was looking for.
              So I would recommend you to consider the Proxxes, however if you feel that you don't like them, my second choice would be the Michelins or as others said, Michelin pilot sports.

Comment

Michelin only supplies Primacy in 225 55 16 unfortunately, and my pockets are not deep enough for Porsche speck size 245 45 16. 225 55 seems to be the most widely supplied size and the most economical for premium rubber.

I've heard Toyo Proxys are good in dry, but once it's wet they're ditch finders? Though I think I am referring to T1-R.

15000 miles isn't much mileage from a premium rubber is It? That's year and a half the way I drive :/

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Running the contis on my s2 and my octavia estate. Wear and grip very well in my opinion and good wet and dry. Seem to test well both in uk and german motoring press. Maybe i was lucky but didnt pay over the odds versus other brands. You wont go wrong with any premium rubber these days...just stay away from anything called triangle or other dubious far east rubbish lol
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I was gonna go for arrowspeed just trying to get best all round tyre really, I am kind if put off Dunlop due to wear, can't afford set of 4 every year unfortunately.
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Try LingLongs, they must be good
                      As for the proxxes, i had toyo proxxes CF1 before on this car and it did understeer quite a bit, however with the T1Sport its much better, but it still understeers if I accelerate hard during cornering while wet, otherwise excellent. dry grip is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                        I was gonna go for arrowspeed just trying to get best all round tyre really, I am kind if put off Dunlop due to wear, can't afford set of 4 every year unfortunately.
                        I wouldn't touch them for that very reason, waste of money if they wear out that quick as the difference in performance wet and dry between the top premium branded tyres is so small !! There are many folks on here who haven't pipped up yet but have the Goodyear Assymetric 2's on their pride and joys.Thinking of a very low mileage Cricket green S2 Coupe thats for sale. Superb all round tyre even more so when you look at it's stats for fuel economy, A wet grip and A dry grip and favourable price. Mine on the S6 are wearing very well still loads left after 11K miles.
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

i used to run assyms on my s2. fantastiv tyre. wear was very good. dry or wet the held. the cheaper f1's were good but not in same league as assyms.

if i was after premium tyres they would be my choice.

proxi i found not great but bout 1/2 the cost.

Comment

Dunlops are off the list simply because of horrible wear rate. Now I need to choose between noise and weight
                            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Assymetrics are very good

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...