Who has winter rubber fitted already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has winter rubber fitted already?

Just interested to hear who all has winters tyres fited already. I have a set on spare rims and am in 2 minds whether to fit them today or not.
    1996 Audi S6 Avant.
    1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Not yet even though it's fairly chilly. Usually put them on in the first weekend in November.

Comment

I've decided no quattro driving this winter only the daily saw too many accidents last year outside my old flat by a BMW garage to risk it
      Really BMW drivers don't half flap in winter conditions

Comment

I'm going to delay finishing my car so it can stay warm and dry in the garage

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
        1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

You know you're on the turn when you don't take a quattro out in winter!
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I will be switching over to winter tyres in a couple of weeks.
            - They really do make a difference.

I was chatting to a friend last year who works in car insurance (underwriter) and I was amazed to hear that they get more claims by four wheel drive than other car types. His reasoning was that they start and accelerate very well in the snow and ice but of course can't stop any better than other FWD or RWD cars. False sense of security etc...

I would like to see UK car insurance companies taking tyre type into consideration when investigating winter accidents. Load up on those who do not use winter tyres, just as they do in Germany.
            RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post

I was chatting to a friend last year who works in car insurance (underwriter) and I was amazed to hear that they get more claims by four wheel drive than other car types. His reasoning was that they start and accelerate very well in the snow and ice but of course can't stop any better than other FWD or RWD cars. False sense of security etc...

I would like to see UK car insurance companies taking tyre type into consideration when investigating winter accidents. Load up on those who do not use winter tyres, just as they do in Germany.
              Thats interesting info regarding the insurance claims, makes sence. Based on the last couple of winters and the forcast for the one on it's way I agree that fitting winter tyres between November and March should be encouraged if not mandatory.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I'm holding off fitting them until I need to. I don't want to destroy them on dry roads and relatively warm weather.
                Shane

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                  Thats interesting info regarding the insurance claims, makes sence. Based on the last couple of winters and the forcast for the one on it's way I agree that fitting winter tyres between November and March should be encouraged if not mandatory.

Never mind making it compoulsory, my insurance company told me I have to phone them before fitting winter tyres as there may be an extra premium to pay. Why the hell would thay charge me more to make my car safer. I couldn't believe it! Would they prefer me to drive around on summers and end up having to claim off them?
                  1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Originally posted by gunman View Post
                    Never mind making it compoulsory, my insurance company told me I have to phone them before fitting winter tyres as there may be an extra premium to pay. Why the hell would thay charge me more to make my car safer. I couldn't believe it! Would they prefer me to drive around on summers and end up having to claim off them?
                    Christ, I give up

That make no sence at all, I hate insurance companys!!!
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I think there is often some confusion as just saying 'winter tyres' to an insurer could mean studded tyres, full winters or just the relatively mild m&s (mud and snow), hence the insurer asking for more information and potentially warning of a fee.

IMHO M&S tyres are perfectly sufficient for most of the UK and can easily be used all year round. Many people do just that. Once average temperatures drop below 7 degrees summer performance tyres should be changed for m&s to ensure best performance.
                      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

i never got round to taking mine off my 80 quattro so im fully prep'd for snow

Comment

Not yet, they're still waiting to be fitted. The temperature is still to warm... maybe in a couple of weeks

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post

Was just going to say...

For the last couple of years i've been charged because they're classed as a modification. No amount of arguing or explaining helped, and in the end i just gave up and paid it, figuring that my excess in the event of a crash would be far higher...

Completely bonkers
                          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Not winter tyres but my Michelin Primacys were fine last year. Although not as good as proper winter rubber, they will last better in the warmer bits either side...
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Not winter tyres but my Michelin Primacys were fine last year. Although not as good as proper winter rubber, they will last better in the warmer bits either side...
                              Same tyres as I have currently fitted. I think I'll leave them a few weeks then as most reckon it's a tad early.
                              1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Working...
                              X