Who has winter rubber fitted already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    You know you're on the turn when you don't take a quattro out in winter!
    Oh matron but seriously I don't want to end up like topsparky rather leave it at home safe from other drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
      Not yet, they're still waiting to be fitted. The temperature is still to warm... maybe in a couple of weeks

Was just going to say...

For the last couple of years i've been charged because they're classed as a modification. No amount of arguing or explaining helped, and in the end i just gave up and paid it, figuring that my excess in the event of a crash would be far higher...

Completely bonkers
      It's madness isn't it. It got me to wondering, The winter tyres are perfectly road legal tyres in the UK, if you're using the same rims and aren't changing the factory size of tyre is this much different from changing tyre brand? Say a car somes off the production line with Dunlop and when they're done you fit Michelin is it classed as a mod? If not what's the difference in winter tyres?

Worse still if you changed from Michelin (for example) to a cheap brand or a remould, still road legal but crap in comparison.
      1996 Audi S6 Avant.
      1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

IME All Season tyres are what you want to run now and in the spring, once the temps are between 5°C and 15°C.
        Otherwise run your old winter tyres that have <4mm of tread.
        You need to keep your fresh >4mm tread winter tyres for when it really is icy and snowy.

Originally posted by WabTheKing View Post
        i never got round to taking mine off my 80 quattro so im fully prep'd for snow
        Not if they're bald Wab.
        SS

Comment

I should also add that the 'Mud' part of M+S is the important part for me at this time of year. The roads are covered in the stuff now.
          SS

Comment

Extra premium to pay ?????

Originally posted by gunman View Post
            Never mind making it compoulsory, my insurance company told me I have to phone them before fitting winter tyres as there may be an extra premium to pay. Why the hell would thay charge me more to make my car safer. I couldn't believe it! Would they prefer me to drive around on summers and end up having to claim off them?
            IS THAT CORRECT
            insurance are legal rip off....!!!!!!

Comment

There was snow here on Monday. Just on the top of the hills but still. I changed to my m+s tires today just to be sure...

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                IME All Season tyres are what you want to run now and in the spring, once the temps are between 5°C and 15°C.
                Otherwise run your old winter tyres that have <4mm of tread.
                You need to keep your fresh >4mm tread winter tyres for when it really is icy and snowy.

Not if they're bald Wab.
                lucky i only do 4miles a day in it then i dont use the 80 all that often otherwise they would indeed be bald

Comment

Hot off the press; some common sense (at last....)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259734/
                  RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                    Hot off the press; some common sense (at last....)
                    At last. I was surprised at the stupidity. In Canada, there are no such issues. In fact, some provinces, e.g. Quebec, make it manditory to run snow tires between certain dates, e.g. Nov. 1 and March 31. When this came into effect a few years ago, it affected the availability of snow tires across the entire country as demand exceeded the then current supply. All is good now.

I live in Vancouver which has winter weather much like Britain, lots of rain with the occasional snow fall (unless you drive up to Whistler or the local ski hills which will definitely have snow). As a result, I need a winter tire that is good in both the snow and the rain. I am now running Hankook W409 Winter iPikes. Great in the wet and snow. Decent in the dry too. (But soft so you want them off when the weather gets warm in the spring).

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thought this might be of use to everyone, if it worked DOH!
                      http://www.driving.org/campaigns/rwinter-tyres that's better

Comment

Stuck mine on, was really surprised even when fitting them, how soft and rubbery they felt.
                        Obviously not had any severe weather as yet but the difference on a wet cold morning is awesome. !
                        Quite looking forward to trying them in the snow!!!!

Al

Comment

New Nokians WRG2 205/50/17 fitted this morning on the RS2

Now I have all my vehicles with Nokians winters tires.

Ducato Maxi Van
                          Stilo Wagon
                          Audi Cabriolet
                          Audi RS2
                          http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Italy it's a notorious country for it's nosense laws n rules but your insurance issue with winter tires it's......:corey:
                            http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Temps in the civilised parts of the country are still far too high... not seen it lower than 7C in swindon yet and daytime temps are often 14-15C... crazy for mid november!

As soon as we get morning frosts I'll be getting mine put on. Here's a good test to compare winters vs summer (and all-season) on ice:

Comparion Winter vs Summer tyres
                              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I agree a absolute joke i have to do it to about 10 cars at work because they all go to Germany. Insurance company still will not tell me if this is allowed or not as they dont know...

Comment

Working...
                                X