No announcement yet.

Who has winter rubber fitted already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o and to be honest the Quattro has no tlet me down yet even with silly alloys..

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
      There was snow here on Monday. Just on the top of the hills but still. I changed to my m+s tires today just to be sure...
      We have had snow on the hills here in June before. My winter wheels are still on the shed for now. I learnt the hard way when running winter tyres too early. You need to make sure you still have tread left for when it properly snows.

Winter tyres are an original option on most German cars I know, so I don't think the insurance companies can get away with that one.
      Also my insurance companies have never been interested in which make of brake pad I use. That is quite an important component too.
      When you think about the number of people that just fit the cheapest brake pads, tyres, suspension joints/bushes, body panels, and so on to their cars. I bet they don't inform their insurance company either.
      SS

Comment

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
        o and to be honest the Quattro has no tlet me down yet even with silly alloys..
        We ran Summer rubber (Toyo T1R's) all winter on the S2, sheet compacted snow and Ice on a decent hill, as with 'pix', never felt it was overly stressed... And, apart from our Land Rover, it was the only car to make it up our road, daily, for well over a week.

The rest, miserably (for them!), parked at the bottom and walked home....
        85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Fitted mine today as it happens, I had to though as my fronts were about on the limit and not safe in the wet.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

That's a very interesting link. I haven't actually got mone fitted yet, I got a second set of S2 Avus alloys so am getting the winter rubber swapped over to my original ones (quite scruffy) this week. I'm glad I dodn't now as we have had an unseasonably warm November here so far.
            1996 Audi S6 Avant.
            1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Uk are in EU why there are still no law - that cars need winter tyres from 01.12 till 1.04 , as it's mostly in all europe.
              You can't even drive out from Uk without winter tyres as police will stop you and you will get fine.
              I have set of 17" alloys prepared with winter tyres and patiently waiting snow.

Comment

I drove to Wagner's place in Germany one March in my S8 on 18" BBS CHs, shod in Michelin PS2s. It was during a period of warm weather, but when I was sat in a Stau on an Autobahn, as you very often do, I looked around at all the other cars on black winter steels, and realised how much I must have stood out as a law breaker. I didn't get busted by the Polizei though.
                SS

Comment

^^^ Chancer!! I'd get caught
                  Shane

Comment

I was in and out pretty quick, mind. It was only a day trip out in the S8.
                    I still laugh about the customs officer looking in the boot, after we told him where we were headed, asking "Where's your luggage?"
                    Luckily they didn't check on the way home. :mischeif:
                    SS

Comment

Avus alloys refurbished in gunmetal grey with new winter tyres.
                      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322435979.521813.jpg
                      Not on a S2 but fitted to my golf instead of the monza 2 alloys it normally wears.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322436311.738335.jpg
                      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322436340.805970.jpg
                      Still putting my S2 back together so hopefully this will allow the golf to be useable through the winter, was a bit worried that the 18" alloys with 40 profile rubber together with FWD and DSG would be quite rubbish when the snow/cold/wet weather turns up this winter.
                      First impressions, much improved ride quality and so much less tyre noise. Grip seems good but a bit early to give a full report.
                      Temperatures round here are getting close to freezing in the mornings and evenings when I do most of my travelling so good time for the cold weather tyres to go on. Hopefully it won't be as cold as last winter, minus 23 deg. C was the coldest I saw, far to cold for us softies in the UK, especially when we also get a few feet of snow at the same time. Fingers crossed not to much snow this year.
                      1988 ur - weekend toy...
                      1994 S2 avant - weekday toy... gone... in many pieces...

MK7 Golf GTI

Comment

Had the golf MOT'd last week and needed a set of tyres so trying some winter tyres on the front this year, especially since its FWD and DSG so will see how I get on. I dont do many miles these days so should last til mid next year at least
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                        X