Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended ball joints for lowered suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended ball joints for lowered suspension?

Bored at work, got thinking about my suspension setup. Wandering what more I can do to further improve the handling besides ARBs and coilovers.

One thing has really been bugging me for a while since I lowered the Coupe. The fact that, in simple terms, my geometry is all messed up. It definately handles better since lowering but it's obvious there are some serious flaws as a result. For example, i'm 70% sure the outside wheels are actually gaining positive camber when I corner hard, which is the opposite of ideal That plus the body roll means i'm running on the rims!

If I owned a scooby doo or an MR2, no problem. I simply buy some specialy extended ball joints which kinda look like this and hey presto my wishbones are back at the angle they were supposed to be before i messed around with it.

Anyone heard of anything like this for the S2 suspension? How hard would it be to fabricate something like this? Or am I thinking too much?

Only thing I'd say against that is the bigger offset load on the track rod end.

(edit: and the bigger offset load on the lower balljoint end)

The better solution is a strut with the wheel bearing housing raised, but that's expensive.
    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Not heard of that but I'm sure that if you had some tubular wishbones made up then that would enable you to massage out the problem!
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You'd still need to extend the ball joint positions downwards to alter the angle from the inboard to the outboard ends.
        Martin Cutting

Comment

Yeah thats right. It's easier just to keep the standard wishbones although that would be an awesome excuse for tubular wishbones

I'm gonna ask around but the more i think about the more i reckon it's probably excessive.

Comment

Nah, you don't need a car that handles! You're already too fast
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I had some extensions made to lower the wishbone from the strut a few years back as for the reason above mentioned, it did work but I had a few snap off due to the addional loads, you have to be careful how they are made and what material. I do not know how far you want to go and how long but i can tell you that mine were about 2" long. I would advise to have new wishbones made to cater for it and I would move away from any extentions. You have to consider the position of the steering and you should also lower them by similar amount
              Aelred

Comment

I correct myself, I might be wrong on the extentions snapping if memory serve me right it was the lug where the pinch bolt goes through that snapped, this is the weak part.
                Aelred

Comment

Or move the inboard point upward...

The thing to understand is that new wishbones with the same centre-to-centre distance, will not change the position of the joints up or down. That can only be done on the strut.
                  Martin Cutting

Comment

we've had many convosations about this and i totally agree, but i didnt think it was possible, actually never thought of looking into extended ball joints...good idea, i have found this website...http://www.pmwltd.com/products.php....scroll down to volkswagen ball joint extender and bobs your uncle......mine will be on order within the month...

P.S. they look like this...

Ant
                    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                    KW V2s and other goodies
                    now gone
                    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

found these images on the motorgeek forum when searching for the same thing:

and for what the differance in in-corner....

of course these are all copied from the thread over there found here
                      91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
                      KW V2s and other goodies
                      now gone
                      03' BMW 330CI - Sold
                      08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
                      57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

Aelred - Did you notice any handling difference with the extensions? How much was your car lowered?

Cheers Anton i'll give it a gander...

Comment

Extensions

They were close to 2" so quite a lot. As above mentioned really the way to go if possible would be to shorten the strut. Handling was no problem with them.
                          Aelred

Comment

Been looking into this further and i reckon there is real potential to vastly improve the handling here.

I'm confident my Coupe is pushing out on corners due to obscene positive camber on the front (and probably the rear too, but i'll get to that later). Would explain why it's so progressive on the limit, even with 235 wide boots. I'm fairly confident that with a set of ball joint extenders, i will not only reduce body roll but increase my camber compensation. Only concern is if my Coupe will start "snapping" at the limit. Only one way to find out!

I've emailed that company in the States linked above to see if they will ship abroad

Comment

This is very interesting, the same thing has always bothered me. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.
                              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X