Recaro Subframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaro Subframes

Right, spoke to Capital Seating this morning and they mentioned that Recaro have made the Audi 80 SF discontinued (as we already knew). The guy I spoke to was really helpful and will contact Recaro to see what they can do. In the mean time I spoke to Demon Tweeks and they said, yes, no problems getting one... so I've ordered one from them and se what happens.

The other option is the mk.3 Golf subframes. Can anyone confirm whether the runners fit? There are 2 subframes, one for the sports range and one for the Ergo range and Pole Position, the differences being the height. CS have these subframes in stock and are located in Leicester... anyone nearby fancy popping down and seein gif they fit?

I'll update the thread when I find out if I've got one through DT, I'm 50/50 with it. Have to see if I get a call later on or not
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

golf 3 do fit, but with minor cutting and rewelding...
    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

In what way?
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

one leg, i think the outside, is set too high, so the the frame must be dropped on one side.
        Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Ah, thanks.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I thought that CS might be mistaken also, so i emailed Demon Tweeks. They never replied

I'm 5 minutes away from Leicester so could nip down if you think it's worth it. I am going to York tonight to see if my mate can weld me up a frame out of a standard subframe. Will update when it's done...

Comment

Cant some kind of frame be made from scratch guys, out of interest?

Are they that complex at the end of the day?

Not saying as in make an OEM type one, but something universall to suit the floor pan supplied with bracketry to suit or something?
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

My seat came with a universal subframe, so i could bolt it straight to the floor but i don't wanna drill holes in the floor

I reckon making one out of a standard subframe from a mutilated coupe seat should work fine.

Comment

this is how i made mine:

Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Well I've paid a deposit to DT so wait and see. Waiting for CS to phone back and I'll have to wait and see what DT say if anything...

@ Stiggy, If you're near to Leicester then perhaps arrange to pop down there and try it out? mk.3 Golf ones, be interesting to see what happens and what the mods described by Skull are exactly.

@ Mr. Wolf, yes a frame can be made from scratch BUT the Recaro frames are as close to OEM as you're going to get from a shop. If there was a nice supply of frames to butcher from front seats with the height adjustability then I'm sure someone could get a batch made. The non-adjustable frames are too high as standard.

The Recaro frames could be used as a base for a new design. There's only one thing wrong with them, the plate where the handle mounts is too flimsy and can bend if you get a bit over excited. Simple fix.

If you get 2 frames from height adjustable seats, remove all but the lower frame and then have a framework welded to that base to support your chosen seat then you're quids in. Will cost about the same as the Recaro ones by the time you're done with the OE seats, material, fabrication and powder coat. Loads of effort too, I'm still pretty much house-bound so phone and credit card are easy, getting to a scrap yard, fabricators etc. isn't.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Spoke to CS, they defo can't get them. Just have to wait for a call back from DT now

Anyway, CS are happy for someone to pop by and try a mk.3 Golf frame in the car and see how it sits. Give them a bell on 0116 266 4112.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post

If you get 2 frames from height adjustable seats, remove all but the lower frame and then have a framework welded to that base to support your chosen seat then you're quids in.
                        Thats exactly what I plan to do. I have maybe 2 pairs of height adjustable (I didn't know you could get non-adjustable ones?) so I've got a few to experiment with!

Will see if I can get down to Leicester next week.

Comment

By off chance do you have the part number to hand,Andy? I emailed CS and i haven't got a reply as of yet. As you never know the passenger one i have might be the right one?????????????
                          Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Coolio

Yeah, you can get them in a poverty spec 80 (like my Dad had )
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Im still thinking sod it, and chopping the seat post out of my S2 and just bolting a fixed frame to the flloor when it comes to seat time on mine, lot less hassle

http://www.cobraseats.com/mounting_hardware.htm
                              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X