Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Coupe leaks!

Thought I would add to the list!
    Getting a bit fed up with the amount of condensation. On a positive note, I can turn one drop of water into litres of condensation. So if I cannot cure it, I will use the vehicle as a drought prevention measure.
    The cause appears to be the tailgate seal and the inner trim which is secured via those push in pins. Its a bit of a head scratcher as I cannot see how water is actually getting into the seal itself, as squishing the seal causes a fountain of water to spurt out in the corner. Perhaps it is just pooling up there and effecively overflowing into the seal via the ventalation hole. As this seal is opposite the trim, it then must pool up and seep between the seal and the plastic boot trim.
    Like others I have struggled to understand the drain arrangement. I guess the only seal between the tailgate seal and the inner trim is provided by the tension of the clips. Having examined the clips themselves it doeslook like that perhaps they have been damaged. Should they have barbed ends? Otherwise I cannot see how they are able to secure the trim adequately.
    It would seem that if those holes in the seal were on the other side of the seal, then the water would be able tickle away without problem!

I'm struggling to understand what you mean mate. The tailgate seal is a push-on type that fits onto the panel lip around the edge of the opening. I don't know what clips etc you're talking about? Pics would help a lot
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Agreed! A pic or two might help!
      The clips are the fixings holding the plastic trim inside the boot. They secure the trim panel to the back of the car. There are 4 on the rear. That trim also seems to act against the seal so obviously need to be held tight.
      I still can't work out why effectively the water is trapped on the inside of the seal rather than kept outside it!
      Pics to follow!

Comment

OK, there is a ridged black trim that runs horizontally across the hatch with 4 plastic plugs which cover the mounting screws underneath. These can and do cause a leak so worth investigating.

If you mean the plastic trim inside the boot which covers the boot lock mechanism and attaches with clips vertically into the rear apron then this does not have any effect on the seal
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Johne provides a good explanation of the drainage function in this post.

Comment

Hopefully this helps!
            This seems to be the problem area. Although I have dried it as much as possible, you can still se some moisture where the trim butts up against the seal. Normally that hole in the seal is filled with water.
            The clips are below. They are two parts. The serrated part I understand. The other part appears to be damaged.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
              Johne provides a good explanation of the drainage function in this post.
              Originally I thought it was the rear light so I resealed that and those bungs. The ingress is definately between the seal and the boot trim.
              It might be as simple as those clips not providing any tension. Certaintly a good place to start replacing things.
              I am still struggling to understand how the water gets there in the first place. Having said that, it looks as though Audi expected water to be present as there are further drains through the plastic trim.

Comment

Robin, that's the pleasure of owning a coupe

I fixed mine completely some years ago and it was actually very straight forward.

Solution:

The car is now parked in the garage and hasn't been on the road for 5 years and there hasn't been a single drop of moisture in the boot during this time

Sorry couldn't help myself!

I fixed my leaking boot seal by adjusting the latch so it pulled the bootlid down tight. It now requires a little push down on the spoiler to assist with unlocking. I also smeared silicone grease on the lips of the seal and in the joints. That definitely helps to discourage moisture ingress. Probably wont help much when I spray the car next month though.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve!

That is sound advice. In fact I think the S2 is the only Audi I have that might possibly fit in the garage without taking the front end off! However I would have to get a container for the other vehicle that curently resides there, not to mention the accumulation of Audi "that will come in useful one day" spares that have filled the voids!
                  Besides the only reason I bought an Audi in the first place was that they were galvanised so that I could leave it outside for years without any rust problems.

It may well be that the seal has had its day as the water is effectively on the inside of the seal. I think I read that they were unavailable.
                  The clips are I think 811 863 905D.

Comment

I think putting the car in a garage is actually the only solution. After many attempt to stop my rear leaking, i've finally given up
                    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Have any of you tried running a bead of silicon sealant round the seal and the panel joints and around the insides of the rear lights?

I did this on my coupe when I had one before the avant and I think it fixed it or atleast it stopped the puddle in the boot from forming. I then sold the car quite soon after that before it started raining loads to fund the avant purchase however my mate who purchased it never complained about a leaky boot and he used to sleep in the car after a night out too!

Comment

Yes.

The leak is quite obvious on mine - water runs down edge of the boot, pools in the corner, and then flows over the rubber, into the car, down the back of the light cluster, and collects in the water-bin... seems convenient that it's been placed there by Audi when they designed the car

A new rubber didn't work, neither did adjusting the height of the lid, or sealing up the rear light clusters and plastic trim.

Comment

Oh well I guess what works for one person doesnt always work for another.

I always wondered what the technical name or reason for having that there was. Makes sense now I know its called a 'Water Bin' haha

Comment

It's supposed to leak, that's why the grommet in the floor pan down there has a drain valve in it

I also keep mine in the garage for this very reason!
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              It's supposed to leak, that's why the grommet in the floor pan down there has a drain valve in it
                              Yep that as well.

The water leak for me is a bit like the 996 brake squeal - the cause remains a mystery, fixing it elusive, and what works for one wont work for another

Comment

Working...
                              X