More Coupe leaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still half way there!
    It was foul yesterday with heavy rain and driving winds so was quite expecting to find dampness! However the N/S was still dry althought there was a little bit of water the wrong side of the seal that hadn't dripped down. The O/S had been leaking, the paper towels soaked and an obvious pool of water sat in the seal.
    Normally with leaks you can trace the path. There does not seem to be an obvious trickle from anywhere which is frustrating to say the least or a tell tale wet patch. It does seem its the lowest section of the seal which is wet. The only other coincidence is that water being trapped in the side seal of the tailgate on the wet side. Perhaps that is funneling water down when the tailgate is shut just as it spills out the top when the tailgate is opened.
    Other than making some Tena Audi, sort of running out of ideas! OOPS!
    Last edited by twoqu; 7 December 2011, 20:45.

Comment

Tena..does that mean you'll be a more confident driver too
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
        Tena..does that mean you'll be a more confident driver too
        Well if I use the discrete ones, If my tailgate is lifted, nobody will notice the Coupe is wearing them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNABjf3sLc0
        Last edited by twoqu; 7 December 2011, 20:46.

Comment

sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

****!
            It looks like those seals on the tailgate itself are not available individually. They are part of a kit if I have read it correctly - 895 845 517A Cover section for heated window glass 4 pieces.
            So sanity check! Sonic seal replacement didn't work therefore unlikely to be the seal. The water must get by the seal in order to pool the interior side. The O/S appears to be worse than the N/S. S2driveruk thinks its via the interior trim which may have merit. I have noticed a slight kink in the seal at the top on the O/S but no evidence of water ingress.
            The seal on the tailgate appears to have a drain in it and does hold water that why I am a bit suspicious of it!
            Audi gave up and provided a bucket and a drain on the O/S!

Comment

Robin,

I checked my car again yesterday as we've been having all this nasty weather. It's still bone dry throughout. Obviously the answer is a garage and don't take the car out in the rain
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

mine is fogged up at the back again
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                  Robin,

I checked my car again yesterday as we've been having all this nasty weather. It's still bone dry throughout. Obviously the answer is a garage and don't take the car out in the rain
                  You'l be getting a covered trailer next in case you want to take it out the garage

On the plus side the condensation appears to have gone! Not surprising really considering the amount of water removed.

Another observation is the cars attitude. Mine does not sit level, it is higher at the rear than the front. Whether this is playing a part or not is open to debate.
                  Bad weather on the way so will have another look tomorrow! Although the only way to find out is to sit in the car whilst it rains and observe. Too cold for me!

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post

Another observation is the cars attitude. Mine does not sit level, it is higher at the rear than the front.
                    This changes when you have people and luggage in the car

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Chaps, we need to pull all of our threads together and do a definitive thread on leaks and where to lok

Mine's lower at the rear, due to the special coupe HnR springs
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        This changes when you have people and luggage in the car
                        You allow people and luggage in your Coupe
                        It's just a thought. If it was more level perhaps the water would just drip of rather than run back.
                        It hasn't rained much yet, but you can see that the top of the seal from around the side buffers down is wet on top, so thats about a 1/3 of the seal in effect. If it was doing its job, then it should be dry methinks! Perhaps that other seal is out of the equation as its well outside of the tailgate seal.
                        The interior is smelling better. Think I even got a whiff of the reassuring aroma of petrol fumes instead!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Chaps, we need to pull all of our threads together and do a definitive thread on leaks and where to lok

Mine's lower at the rear, due to the special coupe HnR springs
                          So do you have the same problem at the rear. If so we can rule out something as fundemental as gravity!
                          We would need another Forum if we "pool" all the Coupe leaks together!

Comment

Mine does leak a little into the back but I checked the seal today and it's not got any water in it. I'll have to do some more investigations on the rear of the old girl and find out what's playing up...

New thread started with lots of links and things to check. Please add anything I've forgotten
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Hmm.. missed this post:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=28

That is interesting as its effectively inside the car and in the right place to dump on the seal at the bottom. I believe that none of these window seals are available individually. I have aked Ben what the situation is with regard to availability and cost.
                              It would also explain why replacing the tailgate seal is not the cure.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                                Hmm.. missed this post:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=28

That is interesting as its effectively inside the car and in the right place to dump on the seal at the bottom. I believe that none of these window seals are available individually. I have aked Ben what the situation is with regard to availability and cost.
                                It would also explain why replacing the tailgate seal is not the cure.
                                Mmm, I didn't read that right first time either, so leaking between the glass and the hatch frame..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X