• Show
Clear All

blimey, thats some leak going on there :shock:
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

More Coupe leaks

You take the biscuit for the boot leak
      you can get a new seal from here if you don't want to go the dealer route http://www.automobiletrim.com/trunk-seal.html

..... or speak to these guys http://www.stapeleywg.com/department...garden_centre/
      Audi S2 Coupe 1995
      VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
      VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
      Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Holy leak Batman!

I'm in the middle of some de-leakification at the moment - I think I've just had a bit of a breakthrough but that's now jinxed it... so maybe not
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
          You take the biscuit for the boot leak
          you can get a new seal from here if you don't want to go the dealer route http://www.automobiletrim.com/trunk-seal.html

..... or speak to these guys http://www.stapeleywg.com/department...garden_centre/

First step is to see whether the boot seal is still available.
          Clearly having a tailgate on it for 20 years means its not in the best of shape. Makes sense to address that first. Will have to do the light as well. Then it will be a watching brief to see where else it comes in.
          Thanks for the links. If its a regular profile seal then its nice to have an alternate source.
          On the second link, I'm not certain whether I have a water feature or a pond!

Comment

Actually thinking about it now, when I got the car it had two different clusters, an amber and red. I replaced the amber one with a red to match the other and did it properly - hence no leaks! Of course the red one must have been a replacement in the first place so its quite possible they just stuck it in without replacing the sealant.
            The other issue is that the bin (bucket) that Audi thoughtfully supply is actually raised of the boot floor by a round protrusion. Had it not had a bit of moisture in it, I wouldn't have bothered removing it! If that grommet/grill thing in the well is supposed to be a drain then that also needs to be cleared.
            Be interesting to see how much if any condensation appears overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
              Actually thinking about it now, when I got the car it had two different clusters, an amber and red. I replaced the amber one with a red to match the other and did it properly - hence no leaks! Of course the red one must have been a replacement in the first place so its quite possible they just stuck it in without replacing the sealant.
              The other issue is that the bin (bucket) that Audi thoughtfully supply is actually raised of the boot floor by a round protrusion. Had it not had a bit of moisture in it, I wouldn't have bothered removing it! If that grommet/grill thing in the well is supposed to be a drain then that also needs to be cleared.
              Be interesting to see how much if any condensation appears overnight!
              Was the odd light cluster replaced after an accident ?? - maybe something else is damaged/missing ?? - It was on the news before that, parts of Britain will be facing a drought next year
              Audi S2 Coupe 1995
              VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
              VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
              Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Certaintly a possibility! Unless he was trying to start a trend with mismatched clusters!
                I'll see how easily it falls off.

Comment

I got a new seal a while ago to try and fix mine, which is as bad a leak as yours, although generally concentrated into the collection bucket... i was told at the time it was one of the last ones available, whether true or not i don't know!

One thing i can say though is the new seal didn't fit the problem.
                  S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Just found the photo's of my convenient winter leak-test which clearly identified how the water gets in

S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Bit worrying that a new OE seal didn't solve the problem.
                      I did as suggested and put a slight slit in the seal more or less in line with the drain in the drip tray. It must have rained last night, so was expecting to see some water in the usual place. Strangely there was none! The usual amount of water within the seal was absent and none was spilling from the vent hole in the seal.
                      It's too early to say that was successful, but I'll keep an eye on it.
                      Not having enough sealing cord, I settled for just removing the drip tray. It did look like the outer screw on the O/S had been allowing water in. Had to remove the rear reflector to access the other two screws. So thats what Lazer Red is supposed to look like!
                      It was evident that all the gaskets surrounding the hole were badly detiorated. They was also a lot of debris/dead insects etc which might have been preventing the water running away as quickly as possible. Strangely they was a big gollop of what looked like silicone sealant right in the corner, effectively damming it up. Didn't look right so I removed it! Unfortunately, this is one job where the only sensible thing is to try and source all the parts necessary beforehand, take everything off, replace every gasket/grommet and sealant and put back together.
                      As I did not have enough sealant, I figured I would try and drain the light. In the end I used a small syringe and some small bore plastic pipe. Managed to get another 1/2L of water out!
                      So the car must be drier than its been for a while, which hopefully will mean less condensation. Need to organise as many replacement bits as possible for a total reseal. Other than that its a watching brief on the source of the leaks.
                      Should add that I removed the interior trim that abuts the seal just in case thats relevant!
                      Last edited by twoqu; 3 December 2011, 16:54.

Comment

Pull these plugs out and take off this trim and seal round the screw holes with some non-setting mastic - water gets in here too!

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've got one of these in our dog van, as it used to get pretty steamed up where the beast has spilled his water bowl etc.
                          Works well, you just nuke it or leave it on the radiator once a week to "recharge it".

Try slinging it on the parcel shelf to stop the condensation
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yep! Done that.
                            Very thoughtfully Audi made a nice little well there too!

Comment

Twoqu, sounds like you're getting there!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

As it bucketed down yesterday, thought I would have a look.
                                Curiously, the N/S which I was originally investigating is now bone dry. I put some paper towels on top of the rear light to mop up any ingress, but they were dry. Nothing in the well either.
                                Different story on the O/S. The paper towels on top of the lights was soaked!
                                So not sure whether the slit in the seal or removal of the interior trim has helped on the N/S. There was no sign of the usual amount of water pouring out through the ventilation hole in the seal. On the O/S there dosen't seem to the same proplem of the water entering from the vent hole in the seal. Although clearly water is entering over the seal!
                                Water does seemingly get trapped in the other seal on the tailgate as when you open it, it drains out from what appears to be a purposely made opening in the seal. Need to have a closer look at those and their function. I can see they are held by two small screws.
                                So half way there!

Comment

Working...
                                X