No announcement yet.

More Coupe leaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am calling the plastic bit that the screws secures a drip tray!
    Half the battle is identifying where the water comes in, so you are half way there.
    This drip tray should sit on some gaskets that sort of surround the holes. Mine had detiorated but were not the source of a leak. Its possible that water is getting in around the cap and it then has a nice well to lay in as it wicks down the screw! Like John, I made some "washers" from the sealant and used them undeneath the metal washers. I then rolled a thin string of sealant and ran it round the cap. Bit of a fiddle but belt and braces. Pop the cap and see whether its got water in it. If its dry, its probably getting in underneath so you will have to remove it to attend to the problem!
    Good luck!

Comment

Right I'm with you now, mine only leaks under the drip tray so tomorrow instead of dumping a load of mastic in the bolt hole I'll make some sealant washers and see how it goes.
      For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Yep sounds like those gaskets are kaput. Obviously if you were organised you could have got some, they are not expensive!
        However, as a stop gap, just roll some of that sealant up into a ball and then flatten it into a pancake. Poke a suitably sized screwdriver through it so that the screw doesn't grab it when tightening.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Pull these plugs out and take off this trim and seal round the screw holes with some non-setting mastic - water gets in here too!

I've been trying to fix my boot leak today and I need to remove this piece of trim, I've removed the four screws under those caps but what else holds it in place??

I have water running down the channel on the left and under that trim and onto the top of the light cluster. I figure if I can remove the trim I'll see where it's getting through

sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Andy,

I think there are another two screws under the rear reflector. More work!

Comment

Its almost certainly getting through the holes that the screws go into which means the rubber washers/gaskets around them are not working. Unless you have a seam which is not sealed like the one I had in the plenum on my coupe. I'm pretty sure the trim should come out if you take out the 4 screws, it's a long time since I did it though

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                Andy,

I was going to remove that next but couldn't find what held that on either
                sigpic

Comment

Andy,

Ah, that rings a bell!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

I am struggling to remember but aren't there two rear light sized 8mm nuts inside the boot either side of the number plate fixing holes. It is also stuck on with some of the sealant. Well mine was!

Comment

Another job for next weekend!
                      sigpic

Comment

Yea, better to wait and find out than break something struggling to work out how its attached! I think I left my reflector dangling on the number plate wiring. Not ideal.
                        However it does give you the opportunity to get those gaskets I mentioned. They might be contributing to leaks. Then follow the advice about sealing up the screws and the covers (in my opinion).

Comment

From memory, the rear number plate reflector is held in with two screws (as already suggested) and it also has some sticky black sealant or tape behind there too. HTH

edit: My humble aplologies, I see this advice has already been offered. So consider my post a confirmation of the above.

Comment

Andy,

Yup two more hidden behind the numberplate surround / reflector.
                            This reminds me to add mine to the list of niggles that want sorting while the coupe is SORN

EDIT: Can anyone find the page for this rear tailgate trim in the FA? Can't see it anywhere Was hoping for a p/n for the seals

EDIT: Found it - same page as the rdiator grill strangely

861 827 365 for the little gaskets
                            Other bits should you need them:
                            N 0141405 for the bolts (M6 x 15mm)
                            N 0115476 for the washers (6.5 X 14 X 1.6mm)
                            895 853 455 - Plastic caps
                            Last edited by Error404; 5 February 2012, 19:19.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I have removed the (4) bolts that hold the drain tray and made some sealant washers for underneath. Drain tray slots into the tailgate seal then bolted back down and the ****** still leaks

As per the 2nd pic in post #79 water is dripping down onto the trim on that inside corner then pooling in the bin This I may add with the tailgate open !

BTW I've had the rear number plate panel off as well and before sealing up these holes as well I noticed the 4 little widgets that sit (2 top and 2 bottom) on the rear of the panel which I would assume steady the whole thing and help re-align with the rear lights
                              For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Working...
                              X