No announcement yet.

More Coupe leaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahahahahahahaha. I also think if the water level becomes to much for the drain valve the top gear style of drain with a shot gun can be used in this application to aid the reduction of water levels. Although if we didnt drain it and fitted and perspex cover you could keep a gold fish in the boot? Maybe Audi were offering free goldfish to every owner who purchased a Coupe? If so i fel jibbed that the previous owner kept my gold fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
      I think putting the car in a garage is actually the only solution. After many attempt to stop my rear leaking, i've finally given up
      You mean your garage is dry
      Thats another issue I haven't quite got round to sorting!
      Tis a bit frustrating as the seal acts as a reservoir for the water due to the ventilation hole. Trying to seal the lip between the trim and the seal might help although the answer is to stop the water collecting there in the first place.

Comment

where is water getting into the seal? You sure its not split?
        Why not pull the seal off and re position it is so the holes are higher up the sides of the tailgate or something?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Too be honest thats what I was expecting. Certaintly if it was split higher up that would explain it. The seal would act as a hose until it exited at the hole and spilling it into the gap between the seal and trim. However there dosent appear to be any defect in the seal.
          I beginning to think that the ridge in the middle of the seal has been flattened after nearly 20 years of use so there is no longer an effective seal against the tailgate. Water that trickles over the tailgate then breeches the seal rather than it being transported by the seal.
          It is curious that Audi put the drain there isn't. However they should have left the interior out of that side too!

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
            Hopefully this helps!
            This seems to be the problem area. Although I have dried it as much as possible, you can still se some moisture where the trim butts up against the seal. Normally that hole in the seal is filled with water.
            The clips are below. They are two parts. The serrated part I understand. The other part appears to be damaged.

This is indeed the problem area - It's not the inside trim though, the boot seal needs two little nicks cutting into the outside bottom corners, to let the water drain out. The lamp clusters are the usual suspects though, the mastic type "cord " fails after a few years - It's still available from the dealers ÂŁ30 for 4 rolls - 1 roll will do the two rear lamp clusters - My boot is bone dry (drivers footwell is a different story though)
            Audi S2 Coupe 1995
            VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
            VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
            Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Ok, thanks!
              I was wondering whether a hole on the drain channel side might help or hinder. Judging by your experience, it might be useful. If you get time, might be worth sticking a pic up on this thread on what/where you modded the seal.
              I know the rear lights get the blame. having resealed mine with the correct mastic strip, I was confident that I had done it properly. Was a bit miffed to find water in the well after. On closer inspection/testing it was evident that the water was coming from above the lights.

Comment

I don't know how water gets into the seal but it collects at the bottom & when you shut the tailgate it squirts out of the round holes into the boot Also the spoiler holds a large amount of water which gets dumped in the boot when you open the tailgate
                Audi S2 Coupe 1995
                VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
                VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
                Carrera Subway 8

Comment

Water can also leak through the ridged plastic trim on the outside of the seal (not the one mentioned which is held on by the plastic clips and is actually inside the boot)
                  The trim is held on with screws and the water leaks down past these. I took the screws out and wrapped some of the mastic strip around them and screwed them back in. This and the sealing of the rear light clusters with the correct mastic strip completely cured my soggy boot syndrome Driver's footwell issues are dealt with elsewhere here. My coupe and avant are both now dry inside.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

John,

When I resealed the light, I also sealed the screws and indeed the covers! I was confident I had cured it. However the water ingress was higher up.
                    In my case and indeed in others, it does seem that its the seal/inner trim thats the problem.
                    Clearly these vechicles can't have exhibited this when new as they were expensive and bought by discerning people before falling into our hands! So the origin of the fault must lie with the detioration of the seal. Therefore a new seal might be the ultimate cure if such a thing was available but I fear iits NLA! Perhaps if there was enough demand an alternative could be sought. Would have thought every Coupe owner would want one!

Comment

ok, so nice to know I am not alone on this one and have the exact same issue and Monday was the first real reminder of the fun of coupe ownership through the winter with a completely condensated rear screen...cant wait for the frost to form inside too soon

The way that water gets in (at least in mine) is that somehow it defeats the seal on the drivers side c pillar, trickles inside the plastic tailgate trim and exits in true gavity fashion as the lowest point which is the corner of the boot seal. because the water is already the cabin side of the seal, it just pools in that small void between the black rigid trim lip and the boot seal itself - filling up, or at least appearing to fill the seal and then overflows behind the black boot trim and falls on the light cluster and onto the boot flap/carpet....eventually filling the bin.

I need to reposition the seal somehow to get a better overall seal on the c-pillar and I've drilled 4 small holes in the base of the bin to allow any water pooling there to fall through and straight out the drain in the floorpan

i F U G G I N G hate the coupe in the winter when it comes to moisture
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

As it bucketed down, I thought it would be a good idea to look again. As expected the usual water ingress. I took these pretty pictures. If you look carefully you van just make out the water droplet in the centre of the second pic!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Of course I had been concentrating on the N/S!
                          Decided to run my hand around the O/S rear light. Hmmm... thats damp as well. Removed the bulb holder to find about 25mm of water in the lamp! I did not reseal that one so accept no responsibility! Another job to add to the list.
                          Sticking my hand further down revealed more dampness. So nothing for it but to remove the carpet so that it can be dried out. Wrestled the carpet out and removed the plastic bin.. I wasn't prepared for what I saw next!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by twoqu; 1 December 2011, 17:27.

Comment

you could farm trout in that!
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Wow that's a water feature Alan Titchmarsh would be proud to add to his product range.
                              Were you able to find the grommet in the floor pan down to drain the water?

Comment

Ha! Fooled you!
                                Actually thats my stealth water injection reservior. I know people like AndyP have gone to all the trouble of building a special tank.. but why bother when Audi have already provided one!
                                It also holds at least 5L, well thats what I sucked out of it! I did notice the grommet after though!

Comment

Working...
                                X