• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be tempted to ali weld it if at all possible
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Yes if you can send it to me i can probably repair the original intercooler by tig welding any hole's or cracks.

Comment

Slight update my garage can’t remove the intercooler from the cross member at all. They’ve tried everything so looks like the route left is Wagner full kit. Which is the correct one to go for? Alex has been kind enough to quote me for custom IC but no point if old one can’t come off with everything else being damaged? Anyone else recently gone with Wagner please and thoughts please.

Comment

That’s really weird, it just plugs in with an O ring, should just pop out if the bolts are undone. I wonder if someone has glued it in with sealant at some point?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            That’s really weird, it just plugs in with an O ring, should just pop out if the bolts are undone. I wonder if someone has glued it in with sealant at some point?
            Was thinking the same, it should just fall apart ?

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

Was thinking the same, it should just fall apart ?
              We need pics!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

The full Wagner kit (which I have on my coupe) includes the reverse manifold and quite a lot of work which is completely unnecessary on a standard car. You need to take the crossmember and IC off in one and separate them so you can re-use the crossmember. Or get the IC welded while still attached to the CM. It’s probably just corroded in place and needs a bit of plus gas and heat and a wiggle.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

It doesn't sound like you mechanics are being very creative with the work!
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I’ve just got a couple of poor pics on my phone probably don’t show much. Am going back up this morning to speak to them I was also going to speak to a company called Advanced Radiators based in Newcastle as they might be able to assist with repair. But everyone is right it should easily dismantle. Bloody frustrating tbh.

Comment

After speaking to Anthony's mechanic, it sounds like the intercooler and cross member has been messed wiht before, because they said the tube inside the cross member is 100% made of sime kind of plastic and not joined with a slip joint and o-ring as I told them if should be. I suspect whoever has messed with it before has bonded the cooler to the tube which is why they can't separate it.
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        After speaking to Anthony's mechanic, it sounds like the intercooler and cross member has been messed wiht before, because they said the tube inside the cross member is 100% made of sime kind of plastic and not joined with a slip joint and o-ring as I told them if should be. I suspect whoever has messed with it before has bonded the cooler to the tube which is why they can't separate it.
                        Thanks Alex. Appreciate your help. I have dropped both IC and CM off at Advanced Radiators to see what they can do next. If it can be repaired without dismantling from CM then happy days lol. If not back to square one again and going into lockdown on Thursday could really slow down any progress.

Comment

Pleased to report picked up what looked like a brand new IC from Advanced Radiators yesterday and dropped off at my garage. They did say it was a proper pain to remove crossmember but they did separate. Hopefully picking up the S2 next week.

Also have to say a big thank you to Alex as well for his huge offer of help

Comment

Another update..... The joys of owning these cars put everything together took it for a road test and same issue. They did tell me the part required and was only available on German eBay so that’s now on order. Pain in the **** lol!!

Comment

Have you done a proper boost leak test?

Which part did you need to get?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I’ve got a smoke/boost leak tester if you want to borrow it..

Comment

Working...
                                X