X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    i did the same¡¡¡

because i have a 3B cam cover and i had 3 coils failure

i am using the same coils in a ABY engine with of course ABY cam cover and for the moment they works better
    I wonder if it's different with an AAN cam cover, I know that Hamish had to machine the 7A cam cover down so the coils would sit further down and fully click into place.
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
    Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
    2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
    Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
    Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
    Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
    2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

Originally posted by lcsmith View Post
      Has Hamish done away with the oil cap on this 7A cam cover?

Where / how does he get the oil in?
      Sure has, looks good ehh?

Not too sure, mabie got something set up with the dry sump system??

Big funnel, small funnel, dipstick?

Comment

If the cam cover is machined properly and the right coils are installed they
        should lock in place.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lcsmith View Post
          I wonder if it's different with an AAN cam cover, I know that Hamish had to machine the 7A cam cover down so the coils would sit further down and fully click into place.
          I had to do the same. I used a 7A cam cover and had do machine down the "rings" for the oem sparkplug wire and also make the OD of the hole bigger. The coil now sits perfectly on the spark plug top and is as thight as a virgin.

Comment

I also have a 7a cam cover for my project and plan to do the same with the coils, easy enough. Personally think its by far the best looking setup to grace a 20v head.

Anyone made there own loom for them? Can't be that hard, anyone got one from 034 or prj?

Comment

Originally posted by quattrofrank View Post
              I had to do the same. I used a 7A cam cover and had do machine down the "rings" for the oem sparkplug wire and also make the OD of the hole bigger. The coil now sits perfectly on the spark plug top and is as thight as a virgin.
              to what diameter did you enlarge it? Got some pics of the work involved?

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                28mm springs to mind, and he machined down the rings to flat on one side so the coils could go all the way down and click into place, it's all detailed in Hamish's thread.

With the 7A cam cover does the coils HAVE to sit at a 45 degree angle due to the oil cap?

Hamish's coils sit across the cam cover but obviously the oil caps not in the way
                Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
                Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
                2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
                Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
                Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
                Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
                2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

who is Hamish?
                  RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                  BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                  LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

it looks like they must be at an angle to clear the oil cap, but it seems they could be facing backwards aswell instead of forwards like in the pics above.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                      who is Hamish?
                      the guy who built the awesome white SQ, see the project threads mate.

Comment

I can try to see if I can find some pictures. Anyways I will be out in the garage today and will take some pictures of the final product.
                        When I say machined, I really mean "machined"... in other words I used a dremel and grinded down the ring to get the coil all the way down on the plug. To enlargen the hole I used a dremel and took away whatever needed. In other words I dont have any measurements but its self-explaining once you have the cam cover in your left hand and the coil in your right hand

Comment

The main mans thread!

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...Hamish&page=25

Comment

that's it, thanks.

So 28mm. it is, but not all the way through it seems.

Comment

I do like Hamish`s loom, very sexy!
                              1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
                              1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
                              BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

it looks like they must be at an angle to clear the oil cap, but it seems they could be facing backwards aswell instead of forwards like in the pics above.

If you install the the coils Backwards at that angle the last coil hits the throttle body mechanism, Also Seemed abit extreme to go drysump just to remove the oil cap to fit the coils straight
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X