• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

current set
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc View Post
      If you install the the coils Backwards at that angle the last coil hits the throttle body mechanism, Also Seemed abit extreme to go drysump just to remove the oil cap to fit the coils straight
      should be no problem as I'm going for the short intake path anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc View Post
        If you install the the coils Backwards at that angle the last coil hits the throttle body mechanism, Also Seemed abit extreme to go drysump just to remove the oil cap to fit the coils straight
        I dunno it does look a lot better.....

Nah your right it is a bit extreme for daily's, shame they couldn't sit straight though....

Does anyone have a pic of the ABY cam cover with coils installed?
        Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
        Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
        2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
        Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
        Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
        Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
        2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

Originally posted by lcsmith View Post
          I dunno it does look a lot better.....

Nah your right it is a bit extreme for daily's, shame they couldn't sit straight though....

Does anyone have a pic of the ABY cam cover with coils installed?
          not many run like that due to the excess heat...what with running the risk of overheating the coil packs.....

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
            not many run like that due to the excess heat...what with running the risk of overheating the coil packs.....
            My question wasn't greatly worded, and I think that you've answered with your picture above anyway.....but what I meant was what layout do you have to go with using an ABY cam cover / rocker cover (not including the old spark plug tube cover with 20v turbo written on it)?

Comment

a picture paints a thousand words...

Comment

My question wasn't greatly worded, and I think that you've answered with your picture above anyway.....but what I meant was what layout do you have to go with using an ABY cam cover / rocker cover (not including the old spark plug tube cover with 20v turbo written on it)?
                Laying out/arranging the 1.8T/2.0T/2.5TFSI in an AAN, ABY or ABY cam cover with the 20V Turbo plate removed (and left off because of heat issues) depends on whether you use rubber boots on the hard plastic coil connectors OR the OE hard plastic boots. I did the first documented DIY in 2005 and since I had no guidance, I went with the OE hard plastic boots. This meant that the Cylinder 5 coil pack had to point back to the front of the engine and Cylinder 1 coil pack had to point back but to the exhaust side of the head (because of the oil filler cap area). If you go with the flexible rubber connector boots, then it is possible to point all five coils to the rear, to the exhaust side of the head.

Here is a photo from 2005 of the first conversion that I did (note how the 1.8t (115Ls back then) sit down nicely with their rubber and hardplastic trimmed correctly):

Here is a photo of my current set-up (its still not pretty. I removed the chrome plastic tubing and wrapped the harness in self-sealing silicon rubber tape - still the 2005 harness with no issues) (Coils needed no trimming because they sit taller than the 1.8t coilpacks)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  ..........If you go with the flexible rubber connector boots, then it is possible to point all five coils to the rear, to the exhaust side of the head.
                  Could you elaborate on this.....?

I want them all to point in the same direction in a nice neat fashion....must be my slightly autistic side coming out

Comment

I did mine like so...

And covered it with a carbon cover plate that is spaced little more from the front to add cooling.

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

Could you elaborate on this.....? I want them all to point in the same direction in a nice neat fashion....must be my slightly autistic side coming out
                      Well, even with the rubber connector plug boot, it is tough to get No.5 pointed to the rear, but it can be done. Here is one example (not mine, but somebody in the US who followed my DIY back in 2005):

Attached Files
                      Last edited by UrS4boy; 18 December 2014, 02:11. Reason: Fixed the photo

Comment

Originally posted by europeanme View Post
                        current set
                        Mike: Correct me if I wrong but I think the rubber boots on the 4 pin coil pack connectors in your photo are 4A0906102A "grommet"

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                          Well, even with the rubber connector plug boot, it is tough to get No.5 pointed to the rear, but it can be done. Here is one example (not mine, but somebody in the US who followed my DIY back in 2005):
                          I get you now - the rubber connector plug boot.

Comment

For my URQ project, this angle (30 deg) will work on a 7A cover as well...

Machined...and kept very snug for OEM fit

...and shaved...for cleanliness

...a model based on the 7A cover used to set feature dimensions/clearances and set up the CNC programming...

Last edited by Wheeljack; 13 June 2012, 00:07.

Comment

Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
                              For my URQ project, this angle (30 deg) will work on a 7A cover as well...

Machined...and kept very snug for OEM fit

...and shaved...for cleanliness

...a model based on the 7A cover used to set feature dimensions/clearances and set up the CNC programming...

YES!!!! i had always wondered what it would be like with those ribs machined away, thought it might not look as good,, i was wrong, a great improvement

Comment

Originally posted by campbellWS View Post
                                YES!!!! i had always wondered what it would be like with those ribs machined away, thought it might not look as good,, i was wrong, a great improvement
                                See, I always wondered what it would look like without the ribs and now I know. Hate it. IMO the ribs look great, especially when given something to make them pop, like this:

Comment

Working...
                                X