Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's latest with Clarkson/BBC/TopGear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, CHris evans eh. My first reaction was oh no. but after a minute or 2 to ponder that actually might just work.

Comment

Doubt he would do it he's mates with JC
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

just have JC as SIARPC every episode

Comment

Originally posted by c4S6 View Post
          I can't believe how much money he makes as a radio show host... I know he owned a production co, etc... But, the guy owns MULTIPLE $10MM Ferraris. Radio hosts (minus Howard Stern) don't make squat here in the US.

I think he's an overpaid knob, but I can't blame him for doing well for himself.
          I find him irritating but there's no doubting his charm. He also pocketed the lions share of ÂŁ75 million when he sold his media company. Then he went off and got a bit debauched for a while, married, divorced and then woke up and went back to what he loves doing. I'd be pretty safe suggesting he's not doing the R2 job for the money.

However he won't be losing on those Ferrari's either.

Comment

Chris said he wouldn't do it, he's my boss actually a really nice guy
            Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
              Chris said he wouldn't do it, he's my boss actually a really nice guy
              Isn't he friends with May too? I saw an episode when Chris Evans let May drive his $12m California Spyder around.
              Glorious sounds!

Scary to drive a car that expensive, but it will be sad if they all just become museum pieces.

Comment

And he's gone.
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                  And he's gone.
                  http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarkson-...ear-1693551101
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
                    The general reporting of UKIP is a good example. Last week Farage was shown saying that he thought people should be able to discriminate in favour of British people for jobs. Yet all the press turned this into a question of race. This BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31846453 is fairly neutral overall but the headline reads:
                    "Nigel Farage would axe 'much of' race discrimination law"

So they start off by implying with the headline that he wants to allow racism. This fits nicely with how too many people like to bracket UKIP as racist so they can ignore the actual issue of mass immigration from Europe. Anyone giving the news a casual glance just sees another example of UKIP being racist which wasn't the case. As soon as you put a biased headline on something you have swayed readers toward that bias.
                    Define British! as I can guarentee what you think you are defining as birtish at is not what he is getting at, I can't be arsed to debate stuff like this as to be honest most of you have lived in ivory towers and not experienced what it's like for those outside the gates.

If you want to stop immigration into this country then should never have joined the EU but then you would still have immigration from the common wealth.

Bottom line is I'd rather have immigratoin and a united europe than the ancestors of 100 years ago at war

Comment

This whole situation has been like watching a serious car accident in slow motion.

Comment

At the outset Clarkson was at fault.

And here's the but, why would a producer stand there infant of him for 20 mins while JC rants, builds up a head of steam and then stays within range to be assaulted for 30 seconds ? Just sayin.....

What were the other members of the crew, including Hammond and May, doing while this was all going on ?

I know none of us were present, but surely a producer is supposed to deal with / be involved with those types of issues, i.e. food after filming etc. When the situation demands it, do whatever has to be done to get the matter sorted and across the line, regardless of demarcation of responsibilities.

Clarkson was the fire that burned the building, but who was the match that ignited the fire that burned the building ?

The BBC should have been looking after their golden goose who was laying the golden eggs for them. I'm sure football clubs assist their star players if they have alcohol or drug issues. Star presenters should be chaporoned in the same way for their own good, regardless of whether the star likes it or not. It goes with the territory. You can't collect such a good salary and not have to make a few compromises.

Anyway what's done is done, no winding the clock back. The next version of Top Gear while it can't be the same, could turn out to be better, as in the last few seasons there were comments that the show was slipping, especially with the stupid set pieces and childish messing. Still watchable most of the time because like the audience, am a petrolhead, and can't access the cars, locations and the crack that they have, but didn't watch it with quite the same enthusiasm.

Going forward, and assuming May and Hammond depart with JC, then the presenters in Fifth Gear line up are very good, in fact Fifth Gear might get a extra boost in attention it wasn't expecting, but which would not be undeserved.

Maybe Chris Harris could get a go as guest presenter with a couple of others, a bit like they way they do guest presenters on "Have I got News For You".

I feel sorry for the people who work behind the scenes on Top Gear - the programme, the magazine, the live shows.

Just my tuppence. Will be fascinated to see what happens to the three presenters and what the BBC do with the Top Gear programme / brand. They get to find out if their disaster planning is any good. They had foretaste of it with Hammond's high speed accident.

Just my own tuppence, which counts for nothing in the bigger picture, but just idly curious what others on here think.

Comment

You're missing something - that Clarkson has a responsibility, as we all do in the eyes of the law, to manage his behaviour responsibly. He didn't do that and that's why he's been fired. Nothing more complex than that, from what I see.

Top Gear will be a shadow of its former self but I suspect both TG and Clarkson will benefit from exploring other options.

Comment

Sorry, you're right, I agree JC has the ultimate responsibility for his own actions which were above and beyond....

I should have included these sentiments into the previous post, thanks for keeping me honest.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              At the outset Clarkson was at fault.

And here's the but, why would a producer stand there infant of him for 20 mins while JC rants, builds up a head of steam and then stays within range to be assaulted for 30 seconds ? Just sayin.....

What were the other members of the crew, including Hammond and May, doing while this was all going on ?

I know none of us were present, but surely a producer is supposed to deal with / be involved with those types of issues, i.e. food after filming etc. When the situation demands it, do whatever has to be done to get the matter sorted and across the line, regardless of demarcation of responsibilities.

Clarkson was the fire that burned the building, but who was the match that ignited the fire that burned the building ?
                              You are joking right? Or maybe you did not read back what you had written before pressing submit.

I would suggest that Clarkson is the match. He is also the firestarter and therefore the person to be burned. Loving the notion that the producer is at fault because he stood within range to receive a slap.

Your post is the funniest thing I have read in ages.

Comment

Glad to be of service.

Comment

Working...
                                X