GB:- K24R Offset Top Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB:- K24R Offset Top Mounts

Following on from this thread, it's time to start looking in to prices for a batch of these.

These were designed to be the ultimate top mount, as I couldn't find what I wanted and had had less than satisfactory results with other brands, so I designed my own.

I fitted these last week and will be testing them over the next few months, with track tests next year.

I'll say it now: these will not be cheap - do not expect much change from £300 a pair with bearings, more for the rears with brace bar mounts.

The bearings that I use are nearly the same price as the compbrake mounts and are made to the highest mostorsport standards. They are maintenance free and are fully sealed -

http://www.fluro.de/index.php/en/pro...dgxsw2040druck

As recommended by a UK motorsport supplier. Yes, these have a radial load rating of 13 tons!

Cheaper bearings in the same size are available and I am considering supplying the mounts without bearings, so you can get the best deal and choose the type. They are heat fitted by putting the bodies in the oven and the bearings in the freezer and are then secured using 3x M5 bolts, although these should never be needed. I found this to be very simple but it does mean that a bearing failure may result in a new body being required - I'm looking in to making bearing removal possible though.

There we go. If you're still reading and you want a set, then please post up below and I'll get a price for a batch. Please indicate:
    • Front
    • Rear
    • Front with strut brace brackets
    • Rear with strut brace brackets
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I am interested Andy, but can't do anything until I've got my engine in so realistically it will be spring time for me at the earliest
    Clearly a failure is unlikely but all the same but I'd want to be able to remove the bearing without damaging the housing - a very slight interference fit would be preferable so it can be pressed out with ease.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The bearing should press out fine, I am considering adding threaded holes to enable it to be removed without additional tools though...
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Should press out fine. If you heat the whole lot up the aluminum housing will expand more than the steel and give enough for it to be pressed out. Do it all the time on aircraft wheel bearings.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
        1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Good point.

I was thinking of putting 3x M3 tapped holes in the body so that they could be used to press the bearings out.

There are already 3 holes on the underside that could support a bracket or be used to press in the bearings without a big vice.

Going to need 4 or 5 people after a pair of mounts to make this work.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I've bought compbrake's pair...They died after a couple of hundred miles. So now I need another ones.List me mate, please!

Comment

List:
              1. Error404
              2. Frusciante
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

A few questions, if I go down this route, I would only like to spend this kind of money once (maintenance aside).

What is the warranty on the mounts? (unlikely to have any issues I guess)

What is the warranty on the bearings? Would this be through you, or the bearing manufacturer?

When is the more extreme castor version going to be available?

What are the drawbacks of the extreme version, other than coilover only?

What is the estimated cost of the extreme mounts?
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

As I'd not be making much money on each set, I cannot offer a warranty as such but I do always strive to deal with any problem as I would expect it to be dealt with and I hope that 99% of people who have contacted me with an issue would testify to this. Obviously, if there is a fundamental manufacturing or design issue, then I would deal with this differently to damage from incorrect installation or abuse etc.

Again, due to the tiny profit margins on these and my desire to keep costs as low as possible, these are designed for the bearings to be purchased and fitted by the user, so the bearing warranty would be with the place you bought them from. If I was to buy, fit and warranty the bearings to each set, then the cost would be significantly larger to cover this.

The more extreme version is very much on the drawing board at the moment but will use the same bearings, so these could be swapped over with the aid of a press and oven.

The main drawbacks are to do with the packaging of the mount. Firstly, it will move the strut further rearwards and this is untested as yet. Secondly, the top nut will have to be removed and a threaded insert used with an extended hexagonal section to enable a spanner or socket to be used, as the strut will be recessed under the strut top. Finally, the mounts need to be taller, to recess the bearing and top cap, so this will mean that the rideheight balance front and rear will be affected by up to 10mm over stock.

HTH
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

That sounds fine/reasonable.

So are we about £200 for the mounts with no bearings?

Where did you source your bearings from?
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Something along those lines. I'll know more once I get a small batch quote together.

I got mine from http://www.autosport-bearings.co.uk/ , Fluro GXSW 20.40 but any bearing with the same dimensions will work. Mine are the above, which are motorsport-sepc, PTFE sealed for harsh environments and maintenance free but they do offer lower spec bearings at a cheaper rate. My bearings were £140 delivered for 4 and that was over 3 years ago...
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I like the sound of the extreme versions
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Interested in a front set w/ strut brace bracket and rear set w/ strut brace bracket
                          Justin
                          1990 Audi Coupe Quattro= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46309
                          1991 Audi 200 20VTQA= http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54410
                          1987 Audi Coupe GT

Comment

Just spoken to autosport bearings and the bearings are £31 each + postage.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Got batch prices through for these... brace yourselves...

Excluding bearings but including hardware and postage:-
                              • Offset Mounts - £250 / pair
                              • Offset mounts with Brace Brackets (no brace supplied) - £350 / pair

Bearings are between £50 and £70 / pair delivered, depending on spec.

I will need 5 pairs minimum to make an order.

Lead time is 8-10 weeks.

These can be combined with the offset subframe bushes that I developed as part of Projekt Kastor, prices TBC.

Please post your interest below.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X