No announcement yet.

GROUP BUY INTEREST - Fluidampr Harmonic Dampner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested for sure, but need to decide more about my v-belt vs. serp. on my AAT stroker.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
    1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

This is my version with fluidampr.
      Works very good up to 8200upm

Comment

I'm running a custom ATI setup on my AAN. So far so good, up to 9000rpm.

I do need to point out the fact that at least AAN is externally balanced, which means that a part of the crank's balancing is done in the original damper, so you simply can not put a zero balanced damper in the system without balancing the crank to zero as well! Do take this into account when applying another damper to the engine. Even another OEM damper will alter the balance slightly, although that's not even close to what a zero balanced damper will do.

Comment

could a summary of the FB page (or simply make a pdf) be put here for info?

Comment

Also, when you have a price for the Fluidampr setup, please let me know and I can ask for a quotation on the ATI system.

If there's enough interested, I can look into the external balancing possibilities so it could be mounted bolt-on into a stock setup.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
              I guess I should have been a little clearer in my first post. I made an assumption that most of you knew that this can only be used on an inline-5 motor if you have zero balanced the internals. When Audi built the 7A/AAN/3B/ADU/NM etc motors , they balanced the crankshaft accessory pulley with the complete rotating assembly hence why when most of you ran the 1.8T 551201 Fluidampr unit noticed an increase in engine vibrations and subsequently short term engine failure (fried bearings).

Having spoken with Fluidampr yesterday , I am afraid the v-belt system will not be doable. Everyone will have to convert to serpentine belt due to the smallest diameter v-belt OD overlaps the smallest ID the Fluidampr can be.

That being said , I will answer your questions below.

Originally posted by ringbearer View Post
              Are these best suited for high rpm use? I am interested but not building a revver motor. Any clearance issues or bolt in for UrS aan?
              This is best suited for any of the inline-5 motors. Most if not all of your OEM rubber dampners are cracked and a replacement unit from Audi is insane money. There will be no clearance issues on an AAN as this is designed around the AAN 6PK serpentine OEM unit in mind.

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
              I'd be interested for sure, but need to decide more about my v-belt vs. serp. on my AAT stroker.
              You will need to convert to serpentine complete.

Originally posted by AudiS2Turbo View Post
              This is my version with fluidampr.
              Works very good up to 8200upm
              OEM AAN Pulley = 054 105 251 C = 4558g
              FLUIDAMPR 551201 (1.8T) = 2758g
              I assume you did not just bolt this on but rather did a full engine balance job. Whatever the case , that dampner is underweight for your motor.

Originally posted by kenax View Post
              I do need to point out the fact that at least AAN is externally balanced, which means that a part of the crank's balancing is done in the original damper, so you simply can not put a zero balanced damper in the system without balancing the crank to zero as well! Do take this into account when applying another damper to the engine. Even another OEM damper will alter the balance slightly, although that's not even close to what a zero balanced damper will do.
              See above.
              Once completed , the Fluidampr ring should not be balanced with the rotating assembly. If you want to balance a component with your rotating assembly then you will need to balance the hub adapter shown below:

Also, when you have a price for the Fluidampr setup, please let me know and I can ask for a quotation on the ATI system.
              Considering my involvement with Fluidampr , I am going to have to decline involvement with ATI (nothing personal against ATI).
              If there's enough interested, I can look into the external balancing possibilities so it could be mounted bolt-on into a stock setup.
              This would be almost impossible to get right. Speaking with JP@JNL about this in length and we would pretty much have to get the hub adapter spot on in the weight department in order for this to have a 0 negative effect with respect to the bolt on affair.
              Issam N. Abed
              iABED Industries
              iABED Email | Facebook
              The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
                Considering my involvement with Fluidampr , I am going to have to decline involvement with ATI (nothing personal against ATI).
                Ok, this clears it a bit

This would be almost impossible to get right. Speaking with JP@JNL about this in length and we would pretty much have to get the hub adapter spot on in the weight department in order for this to have a 0 negative effect with respect to the bolt on affair.
                Obviously it will be very hard, if not impossible to get it precisely right, as they've drilled balancing holes in the OEM dampers as well. I have very precise 3D scan of the oem damper so I know pretty well where the offset center of mass is at. This can also be verified and inertia tested in a tester I have access to.

Just out of curiosity, if someone is ready to go the length to balance the crank to zero, can they not address the damper OD-related issues by growing the V-pulley on the alternator etc to suit the minimum needed OD for the damper? Or could the damper be moved towards the engine so that the V-pulley would be in front of the damper itself?

Comment

I have very precise 3D scan of the oem damper so I know pretty well where the offset center of mass is at. This can also be verified and inertia tested in a tester I have access to.
                  0.0001X" precise?
                  Just out of curiosity, if someone is ready to go the length to balance the crank to zero, can they not address the damper OD-related issues by growing the V-pulley on the alternator etc to suit the minimum needed OD for the damper? Or could the damper be moved towards the engine so that the V-pulley would be in front of the damper itself?
                  The issue with the v-belt is that it will not work with the hub adapter AND dampening ring. As it is right now , we are 8mm infront of the OEM AAN pulley for a dampening ring. Any further and it will not fit.
                  Issam N. Abed
                  iABED Industries
                  iABED Email | Facebook
                  The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD View Post
                    0.0001X" precise?
                    Doesn't need to be that precise, as the machining needed will be done at 0,01..0,02mm (roughly half a thou to a thou as you call it). We do have a DEA Mistral coordinate measuring machine if you want to get silly and really go that precise (MPEe = 3.5+4 x L/1000). That machine is capable (in theory) to go below 0,1mju (that's a tenth of a thousandth of a millimeter, which at that level is already 25,4 times more accurate than your request). Although at that level the isolated concrete slab under the machine will receive vibrations from the sand below so the measurement is not really accurate after all.

The 3D scan I have is at around 0,1mm accuracy range (four thous in the Joe-land scale) and it gives accurate enough reading for the stock cast iron blob.

Either way, I can deliver what's needed if someone wants to pay.

Comment

Doesn't need to be that precise.
                      ...it was a joke.
                      0.001" is how precise the CMM both INA and to a point Fluidampr have access to. Don't need more than that.
                      Let me know if you are interested in one.
                      Issam N. Abed
                      iABED Industries
                      iABED Email | Facebook
                      The build thread

Comment

I love this in theory.

But I hesitate with the difficulty in sourcing new replacement serp. belt tensioners.
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                          I love this in theory.

But I hesitate with the difficulty in sourcing new replacement serp. belt tensioners.
                          If you are not running A/C then I have a set up that will work for you. It uses the MK4 2.0 8V / 1.8T belt tensioner ....oh about $3 at your local breaker.
                          Issam N. Abed
                          iABED Industries
                          iABED Email | Facebook
                          The build thread

Comment

Doesn't a fluidampr already exist for the AAN? It's been on 034 for awhile. You can purchase it on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by orignalS60 View Post
                              Doesn't a fluidampr already exist for the AAN? It's been on 034 for awhile. You can purchase it on their website.
                              That was designed for a 1.8T 4 Cylinder engine in mind. It is also the incorrect OD for the AAN motor.
                              Issam N. Abed
                              iABED Industries
                              iABED Email | Facebook
                              The build thread

Comment

So even though they market it for the AAN it's the wrong pulley?
                                Also how much would you need for this one you're trying to have
                                made? Also with the fluidampr you have to get it balanced with
                                your rotating assembly correct? I was reading your posts above.
                                So no bolt on affair. If it's better than whatever else is out there
                                you can put me on the list for one. What's the wait time on these?

Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X