No announcement yet.

Fluidampr Crankshaft Damper - All I5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know of anyone who repairs these units. I would stick with your stock item for the trip and use the Fluid damper when you get back. The old one isn't likely to totally fail. I don't think I've ever heard of one falling to bits. I think this is the only realistic option given your timescales.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• I have phoned a balancing machine shop and they have said that they suggest I buy a second hand unit. It could still fail, but the chances are lower. If I run the old one it is likely to fail. If I fit the new fluidamper It wont be balanced and they said that could fail also.

That was their advice. If I run this for 1 - 2 years as I was thinking, then be the time to engine out, balance (rebuild at same time - plus mods time).

Comment

• Don’t forget to sell me your old one Chris
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Don’t forget to sell me your old one Chris
          Hey Error! don't worry I havent forgotten! my main mission is to get S2 back on road and to the ring in just under 2 weeks! , now my rear caliper bleed nipples are seized for the bleeding of the brakes argh!!! have got a lot of work on next week. I'll deffo get it over to you once the new one is on and working first.

I had a call from a machine shop and he said even fitting a second hand one won't be balanced and he said I should take the 2nd hand one along with my one to him asap and see if he can alter the new one to match the balancing of my old one. So for me thats a drive to norfolk 2hrs - then a drive to nswindon .. then back to norfolk , then the rest of the car to be tended to. Am I jumping through so many hoops or what???? my money is flying out the door :/ there goes my deposit for a house.

Comment

• You don’t need to balance another OEM part - they are designed & manufactured to be within tolerance.
            At the factory they did not individually balance each and every bottom end, the individual components themselves are designed and manufactured to be part of an externally balanced assembly. This is why you can buy & fit the components individually as a spare part - damper, pulley, crank, rod, piston, pin, rings, big end bearings, flywheel etc ​

Edit:
            It’s because Issam’s damper is a totally different design with different geometry and most importantly mass-centring, this is why you cannot just fit & forget - because is it not matched to the balance tolerances of the OEM part.
            Hope that helps.
            Last edited by Error404; 21 August 2020, 21:18.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Error404 Its the same for diesel engines? Or if you change piston/rod , then you need to rebalancing whole rotation assembly?
              Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

• Just like to say I got my aby fluidampr from issam today it was worth the wait very nice engineering like my aan version I have on my stroker engine.

Comment

• Let us know how you get on with it, fitting & balance etc. Mine is still in the box.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• When installing the damper check your block casting for clearance. I had some excess material in my ABY block that needed grinding for good clearance (shown in pictures). Also check the clearance between the new alternator pulley and intercooler. My intercooler got in contact with the wider 6rib pulley, so had to shim the front bumper bar.

Have been driving with the damper for some time and seems that engine and driveline vibrations got much smaller.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5hxahgwac...a%201.mp4?dl=0

Mika,

Last edited by Vauhtiveikko; 25 March 2021, 15:10.
                    S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

• Originally posted by Vauhtiveikko View Post
                      When installing the damper check your block casting for clearance. I had some excess material in my ABY block that needed grinding for good clearance (shown in pictures). Also check the clearance between the new alternator pulley and intercooler. My intercooler got in contact with the wider 6rib pulley, so had to shim the front bumper bar.

Have been driving with the damper for some time and seems that engine and driveline vibrations got much smaller.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5hxahgwac...a%201.mp4?dl=0

Mika,

Thanks for the info! Did you just change the damper or did you rebalance your engine?

Comment

• My engine was zero balanced earlier when I did full rebuilt and changed rods and stuff. So now I just changed the damper and timingbelt parts.

S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

• Ive got mine on my bench. I was going to use it on my current build but decided to wait. Its a good product. Well designed. I also noticed a small clearance issue for AAN.

Comment

• Hi, I ordered a Fluidampr for my ABY from Issam and received it today. It looks well thought out and engineered i'm looking forward to getting it fitted.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
                            1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                            2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                            1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

• Just wondering how this Fluidampr setup fits into RS2 with Wagner intercooler ...
                              Maybe somebody did that already ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vauhtiveikko View Post
                                ....Also check the clearance between the new alternator pulley and intercooler.
                                My intercooler got in contact with the wider 6rib pulley, so had to shim the front bumper bar.

Mika,
                                What 6-Rib serpentine belt you have used ? Can't identify from your photo .....

Comment

Working...
                                X