• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mate. Good luck!
    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

You got lucky with the exhaust manifold studs then?
      Quite often they break.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Yep all came loose without any issues.

Think it was the amount of releasing spray and that the car has only done 64,375 mile / 103,000KM. Even the DP still looks new. Must say this car is in a very good condition.

Hope the new nuts go on just as easy.

I was very tempted to get a stud extractor and replace them. Will see how the fitting goes, if I break one then I will take the head off and give it a full overhaul including new studs.

Most likely be next weekend before I put the manifold back on.

Comment

So the old 7000 turbo and manifold are off.

Just setting the correct positions on 7200 the hot and cold sides ready for fitting.

Replaced the engine mounting under the turbo it was compressed by 10mm compared to the OEM replacement. And the old one had some damage on the rubber. Happy I decided to replace the mountings.

On the first fit of the new manifold it looks like 8 studs need to be made shorter. I thought only three needed to be made shorter.

More pics will follow when I start to refit the new stuff.

The green one is a friends car. Name that car for 1 point.
          Attached Files

Comment

When I took the oil pipes off the turbo there was no gaskets fitted, is that normal?

Comment

You’ve got me on the name of the green one, but there should be a gasket on there
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Gerg_S the green one is the Allard J2X.

As for the oil line gaskets. My S2 has never had any work done to the turbo etc so stripping it now is the first time its been done and there was no gaskets fitted.

Looking at the parts drawings they do show gaskets. My oil lines never leaked, I will fit gasket but it does not explain to me why it never has any from the factory.

Comment

7 studs cut short by 5.5 mm, tested if the turbo fitted correctly it did. Turbo has all new nuts.

Everything ready to be fitted.

Unfortunately the pipe under the rack is leaking and I don't have an 11mm open ring brake spanner. Will get one shortly.

High pressure clean to get rid of the steering fluid and then everything goes back on.

Comment

There are gaskets and crush washers on the oil and water lines where they meet the turbo and the adaptors are fitted.

Be careful with the WG Flexi as your manifold will move the turbo forward about 8mm, so you'll likely need to get it all modified or custom fabricated.

All worth it though

Have you got the rest of the parts ready to go?
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I have everything for the engine power upgrade and I have some other bits to stop it ready to fit.

I am however looking for a reasonably priced RS2 AIR BOX if anybody has one. Not sure if it matters but an RS2 MAF would also be nice. Both parts will not stop the upgrade.

R8 coils and conversion harness, a ready to fit spare S6 ECU upgraded and modified by Prj for 440cc Green Bosch injectors. To finish off the support for the engine and gearbox I have two new gearbox mountings.

I have new front Porsche calipers and discs ready to fit. (still need to get the new pads) Not sure what to do with the rears, not even sure they need doing.

WG will be fitted to suit the upgraded manifold, I saw the difference when I measured the manifold against an original RS2 manifold, thanks for mentioning it.. The top cast section has been modified to accept a 76mm DP, all of which will be custom fabricated once turbo has been fitted.

My plan is to take it on a trailer to Powerflow exhausts in Durban South Africa. They will remove the cats and complete the DP fabrication. The existing new exhaust boxes will remain for now but the pipes to the first box will be replaced with two 76mm ST/ST 409 pipes. The upgrade on the exhaust system is all 409 material.

Can anyone advise if the original ABY DP can that be removed without taking anymore parts off the car?

It looks impossible to get it off the car without removing the engine.

Having a hard time fixing the leaking power steering pipe that sits under the steering rack. Turbo etc upgrade is on hold until the leak/weep has been fixed.
                      Last edited by orsum; 9 October 2017, 05:54.

Comment

Found the compression seals and gaskets on the old turbo.

I have a full head set which came complete with the seals and gaskets needed

Comment

Think the DP can be taken out from under the car; you'll need to remove the heatshield from the CV joint and cross your fingers, toes and balls...
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thinking to just cut it off, had everything crossed for quite some time

Comment

It definitely comes out from under the car, I can't remember exactly but I think I dropped the back of the subframe a few inches.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Looks like I will just have to cut it out if that's needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X