This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servotronic Steering Rack Service.

I finally got some time to dismantle my 3B Servotronic steering rack today.

Here it is.

I then set about working out which parts of the seal kit (P/N 895 498 020) go where.
    Here’s my picture labelled.

And this is what each part is:

A - 60x2mm o-ring.
    B - 44x2.5mm o-ring.
    C - 36x2mm o-ring.
    D - 27x2.5 o-ring.
    E - 46x1.8 round plastic seal.
    F - 2.5x6mm pin.
    G - 12x1.5mm o-ring.
    H - 9x2mm o-ring.
    J - Strainer.
    K - 8x2.5mm o-ring.
    L - 7x1mm o-ring.
    M - Seal 36mm OD, 25mm ID with 33x2mm o-ring
    N - Plastic bush (24/26-22mm OD with radius end, 11mm ID).
    P - Plastic sleeve (26/30mm).
    R - Seal 37/26mm OD, 20mm ID with 33x2mm o-ring.

Not listed:

S - 19x1.5mm O-ring.

Some of the sizes seem a bit odd to me, but I’m no o-ring expert.
    SS

This is where the various parts go.

SS

Comment

I got stuck with this circlip. The tabs it has seem to be making it hard to get out, and I’m a little nervous poking around the rod with a pair of circlip pliers. I’m assuming part ‘M’ is just behind it.

The parts I’m not sure what to do with are ‘N’ and ‘P’, are they just some kind of fitting sleeve?
      I'm also not sure where 'E' goes.

SS

Comment

Also, here are the rack preload wedges. They have a part number on them, 893 422 148 A, but they don’t come up on my copies of the FA. I guess they are NLA, but I'll check with the stealer anyway.

They go in here.

SS

Comment

total respect Stu in taking that task on Great write up and pictures, just what we need on here

How much was the seal kit out of interest?

Good luck

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
            I got stuck with this circlip. The tabs it has seem to be making it hard to get out, and I’m a little nervous poking around the rod with a pair of circlip pliers. I’m assuming part ‘M’ is just behind it.

[/IMG]
            Looks like an anti-tamper tab? No way to withdraw the main pushrod from the other end is there?
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

do you know of a repair kit for non servotronic steering rack?

Comment

A non-Servotronic rack seal kit is P/N 8A1 498 020. Not listed for the RS2 though, but it is for whole range otherwise 80/90/Coupé/Cabrio.

I'm not sure what the kit cost, as I got it with a load of other parts. I'm sure it wasn't expensive, a lot cheaper than a new rack anyway.
                The rack itself seems fine, with no play in it. Fluid was just weeping a small amount through some of the seals.

I looks like you can buy the seals individually anyway, but it's quite a job taking the steering rack out to change one seal.

You can see the preload wedges and spring just below part #7b. It seems strange that they have a part number on them, but they aren't listed as a replacement part.
                It also looks like a I wasn't supposed to dismantle the Servotronic converter, hence no o-ring to replace 'S' in my pictures.

It's a strange one on the circlip. I'm not sure you can get the rod out without removing the pinion.
                I'm not sure about dismantling this section.

SS

Comment

Nice one Stu!!!

Thanks for the idiot prof guide. That will save me all the trial and error. lol
                  91 S2 coupé - RIP
                  98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

you have to remove the pinion and then remove the rod!
                    Is no problem with removing pinion. Onli note the position at 1 end of the travel and take care at that small pin on top of the pinion. Dont punch him to much, will block the distributor!!!
                    All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                      you have to remove the pinion and then remove the rod!
                      Is no problem with removing pinion. Onli note the position at 1 end of the travel and take care at that small pin on top of the pinion. Dont punch him to much, will block the distributor!!!
                      All the best!
                      Might have known you would have dismantled yours Eugen...

Great guide Stu, and something I will probably need to have a go at in the near future.... not looking forward to it though....!
                      Chris
                      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

not dificult. I learned from my mistakes, the pin i punchet to hard and i didint know wy my car was puling only to left. Not nice. Dont fit that pin back! The P part is for the rod seal to fit over a sharp edge. otherways you can damage the seal trying to push the rod in! Verry carefull!
                        Eugen

Comment

hmmmm I paid £268 delivered for a new old stock ABY/RS2 rack looking at that job, it seems a good price afterall

Thinking about it i should have kept my old rack then you could have dismantled mine first before doing yours
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

is it possible to get the rack out without taking the engine out first? I've had a look at mine and don't fancy it now that the engine is in there.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            1990 CQ20v
                            2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

no way i could see to remove it to be honest hence why embarked on my project back in the summer. If you removed the IM, distributor, radiator and airbox you could try that way but you need some space to work in really.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X