Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't mind Vas, that would be great. I'd love to see/know what exactly the problem was first hand.
    SS

Comment

sure no problem. ill try and wrap it up for you so you can have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
        I got the seal kit direct from ZF but it does not come with the fitting sleeves. . . does anyone still have these and doesnt need them?
        From memory, these are the parts you need

Can anybody else who has done the re-build confirm this?
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Those are the ones.
          Are they from a non-Servotronic rack kit, Andy?
          SS

Comment

if anyone wants a stock coupe non-servotronic rack to play with i have one here FOC
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
              Those are the ones.
              Are they from a non-Servotronic rack kit, Andy?
              Thats a point, these were from my 3B Servotronic kit. Are the non-servotronic ones different?
              sigpic

Comment

The Servotronic rack kits I got only had the larger sleeve. The last kit I got for the RS2 rack had both of them, which made more sense. At some point the kits may have changed.
                Did you rebuild a Servotronic rack? Did it leak? Or not leak?
                SS

Comment

The Servotronic rack kits I got only had the larger sleeve. The last kit I got for the RS2 rack had both of them, which made more sense. At some point the kits may have changed.
                  Did you rebuild a Servotronic rack? Did it leak? Or not leak?
                  Yes I did rebuild my servotronic rack and it did leak Chris did his too with the same result. They both leaked from the main end seal, luckily I didn't get as far as fitting it to the car, I filled it with fluid and wound it backwards and forwards on the bench. The fluid was leaking out before it even got under any pressure. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but I didn't want to risk getting it on the car and under pressure and finding it still leaked so I got a re-con ABY rack.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah-ha. We may be getting to the bottom of this then.

Next question: Did the main seals (M and R) come all pre-assembled as in the picture?

SS

Comment

I can't remember if R did but M definatley didn't, I had to put it in the steel holder. It was this one that leaked.
                      sigpic

Comment

That sounds the same as the RS2 rack I did then. 'M' was the problem seal in that case. The seals looked the same as the old batch, apart from 'M' wasn't pre-assembled on the later seal kit, and the extra sleeves were supplied.

I remember the last kit I got was on back order, and seemed to take ages to arrive. Something has obviously happened to the main end seal in that batch, and it seems as if it common to both types of rack.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                          From memory, these are the parts you need

Can anybody else who has done the re-build confirm this?
                          They are the bits I was thinking of - I didnt get them in my ZF kit. mine is a non-servotronic rack but it looks like you have two pairs of sleeves of different size.. did you use them all? or is one for pair 3b and one for ABY?

Comment

One sleeve is for the main rack end seal 'M' in the picture. The other is for the main pinion seal 'R'.
                            It seems that in the old kits supplied by Audi only one was supplied, as in my original picture. The larger sleeve is definitely needed, and the smaller one is a good idea.
                            SS

Comment

I ordered my kit from a site but not sure what is, but its Rennbay inc. shipped to me (There is a tone of autoparts ont the net and lot of them has the same supplier).
                              The kit is about 55$ and has only the basic seals. NO MNPR parts.

I have all Seal ABCD and the Nylon(mine are blue) that match them but not MNPR. I m pretty sure servo kit has basically the same without the servo seals.

I would take the spare non servo rack. I m in Canada.

I did not change the M since I was able to remove it and I dont have the part to replace it if ever I use the right puller to extract it....

There is my write up on MotorGeek.com:
                              http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36763

I have read somewhere last 2 weeks the rack might leak after rebuilt but not under pressure.

Mine has small leak at the main shaft end..... mmmmmm Since did not change the metal/O ringed one I m not confident I solved the leak problem..

Also the rack grounded when I turn to the right ONLY. The car is left driver. Canada.
                              Nickel_5000tq on forums ;Denis

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                                Thats a point, these were from my 3B Servotronic kit. Are the non-servotronic ones different?
                                One sleeve is for the main rack end seal 'M' in the picture. The other is for the main pinion seal 'R'.
                                @AndyP - Looking at pics of racks and seals and comparing to the ABY ones I have the bits the sleeves go in look to be the same in 3b and ABY racks... I'd risk it anyway and would still be keen to get those sleeves off you if don't need them. Also your PM box is full.

Comment

Working...
                                X