Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can email me your address stu? i may ask my brother to wrap it up and send it to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
      how much to actual do the reconditioning as well?
      Not sure, but I shall ask them when I go in for you.
      1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• brilliant!cheers

Comment

• Got it pressure tested here http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/ this morning and its all good, tested up to 1100psi! I even got offered a job haha

Info for all - it would be £125 + vat to get it serviced here. They had a few on the shelves they're working on now. Top service, top guys! I would highly recommend!

I also chatted to them about the difficulties people have with getting the end caps off. He said it was due to the indents that you put into the casing. To get around this, apparently you just drill them out slightly and it relieves the cap and will come out without damaging the thread. If you leave them in, it will take some thread off the cap as you take it out and also damage it as you put it in. When its under pressure, this cap can then fly out doing mucho damage!

Comment

• Damn. Only 1100psi? Not as much as the hydraulic pump generates then. I guess that means it doesn't leak though.

Interesting about the end caps. I haven't had any trouble removing or refitting them, but it's good to know.

I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.
            SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
              Damn. Only 1100psi? Not as much as the hydraulic pump generates then. I guess that means it doesn't leak though.

Interesting about the end caps. I haven't had any trouble removing or refitting them, but it's good to know.

I'm glad you got it sorted in the end.
              Not quite the 140bar but plenty to see if any fluid is going to leak Apparently the guy has seen end caps fly like bullets across the workshop even at that pressure all from dodgy threads on end caps!

the end cap tip is always one to remember just in case!

Thanks for all your help!!! Couldn't have done it without it!

one step close...

Comment

• A note to all re-building your steering rack...

Make sure you mark the position of the mount to the steering wheel with the steering wheel centred...or like me you'll have to take it apart again!!

I simply measured the centre of the rack and ensure the flat side of the steering rack output shaft was in the correct position for the wheel to be centered!

I didnt realise there was a flat side to the output shaft...opps!

Comment

• or you could save yourself some back pain and just remove the steeering wheel and centre that to the rack
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• dont know if its true but sheffield audi told me the kit is nla can any one shed any light on this please.

Comment

• When I got mine they said there was only 3 left and maybe no more.

Contact the rack service company from Birmingham mentioned in an earlier post, they may be able to help. Cheap service if you want it too. Also zf do a kit.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

• ok thanks does any one have any contact info where i can get a zf kit

Comment

• Thought I'd update on this if anyone was thinking of doing their own steering rack.

Audi are officially out - they were quite some time ago.

http://autosuppliers.co.uk/ supply a kit (AS13715) for these racks. They don't come supplied with the steel rings that are seen in the original kits (but they aren't really needed as not wearing parts) but they do include all of the PTFE seals that the original Audi kit didn't. Cost is £52 inc VAT so slightly more expensive.

Comment

• Nice bit of learning to share on this subject - having just rebuilt a steering rack for Kit, the leaky rack end seal seems to have returned whilst it was getting pressure tested. The company that tested it kindly changed the seal for me and retested and all was ok. Now, apparently it's a common issue with these racks and is caused by a sharp edge on the rack where it transitions into the larger diameter where the seals run. They put the rack on a lathe and machine a very small relief chamfer into this part so when it's installed it won't damage the seal. Using the tools which Audi previously supplied in the kit doesn't guarantee that this won't happen either apparently. There's also a knack to getting the seal in without creasing it too. So a nice little tip there!

Comment

• Originally posted by willg54 View Post
                              Thought I'd update on this if anyone was thinking of doing their own steering rack.

Audi are officially out - they were quite some time ago.

http://autosuppliers.co.uk/ supply a kit (AS13715) for these racks. They don't come supplied with the steel rings that are seen in the original kits (but they aren't really needed as not wearing parts) but they do include all of the PTFE seals that the original Audi kit didn't. Cost is £52 inc VAT so slightly more expensive.
                              I bought a rebuild kit for a pump of these guys and it was cheap pattern **** with some dodgy chinese lip seal. I would steer well clear (if you pardon the pun).
                              Get a genuine ZF kit - my 2c.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Any tips on where to get a kit for the ps pump?
                                Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                                X