This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll go turn it upside down now

i'll have to pick some proper stuff up tomorrow and flush it out!
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

does any one know the best place to get a kit any links or names of places

Comment

I got mine from the dealers, about £35 IIRC.

autosuppliers do a kit aswell which I just got through, but I think its the wrong kit but they're sure they have one for my rack, think i gave them the wrong numbers. Thats £20. or they can supply a ZF kit from Germany for about £74.

Comment

Originally posted by willg54 View Post
          Talk about embarrassing....I took another look at the rack today and the old rack end seal. I then realised, hiding under the plastic bush is an oring...the one I couldn't find a place for!

Quick rebuild and it appears to be holding fluid! I'm going to see if I can get it pressure tested somewhere this week.

Hopefully its all good!

So people understand my ramblings...here's a pic to explain (not to the quality of other pics in this thead so i apologies!)

To make the rack end seal, seal A goes on the outside of the metal ring, C sits in the groove inside of the metal ring, then the bush B sits on the inside of C so you can't see oring C any more.

I had forgotten o-ring C basically....

Otherwise it's all the same as before. (note this a non-servotronic kit so a few seals are missing when compared to the picture on the first page)
          ...... So is the seal kit from the dealers safe to use now ?
          Audi S2 Coupe 1995
          VW Passat GL5 (hatch) 1986
          VW Passat GL 1.8 (saloon) 1986
          Carrera Subway 8

Comment

all i can say mine isn't leaking like previously witness by others but i'd like to pressure test it before i put it in the car.

The £35 for the kit is a small price considering you'll be looking at £200 for a recon rack, worth a try?! Or maybe dont change the rack end seal if you dont have issues with it?

Comment

I bought the rebuild kit ZF servotronic 8A1-498-020 to my supllier AUDI and i did not the piece R too.
              Anyone know the number of thie piece??

Comment

I've been chatting to Will about this via PM, and I think we've confirmed the problem.
                ZF/Audi have obviously changed the kits. The original kit was more pre-assembled like this...

The later kits have some seals that need to be pre-assembled before fitting, like Will's here...

I suspected this already. See earlier in the thread here.

I'm also worried that some kits seem to be missing vital parts.

And Will, I told you not to use old fluid in your nice clean rack. And don't scare us with that red stuff!
                SS

Comment

which was the problem in my case then which leaked all over the place as well?

i still havent managed to get the rack back to you 4wheel to see what has happened. It would be interesting to see.

Comment

I can confirm the rack isnt leaking still (with the correct fluid!) i've moved the rack in and out alot and its nice and dry still. still need to pressure test which will be the true test of it.

i think the bush seat on the oring in ring M is crucial for the seal. it was very awkward to insert and can see it being damaged quite easily. but if you ensure its seated correctly, the right way around (and the o-ring is underneath it ) it appears to be sealing based on people were seeing it pouring out of there under gravity before.

I also seemed to have every seal i needed for the rack.

It wasnt old fluid haha, it was some new stuff i had on the shelf which was still the wrong stuff bit of a flush with brake cleaner and filled with new stuff, all good!!

Thanks for all your help though Stu!

Comment

• How far should the end cap screw in? I cant get it any further than this....

Comment

• looks about right - its a taper thread anyway i think
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• End cap is 50Nm and 2 punches. I torqued mine up when it was back on the car.

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                          which was the problem in my case then which leaked all over the place as well?

i still havent managed to get the rack back to you 4wheel to see what has happened. It would be interesting to see.
                          It would be good to take a look at it to confirm what the problem was.
                          SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post

End cap is 50Nm and 2 punches. I torqued mine up when it was back on the car.
                            Are the 2 punches on the side of the housing? I can see 2 punch marks already IIRC

Comment

• Originally posted by benntenn67 View Post
                              Hi, I've not had a rack recon by this company, but I know of somebody who had calipers done with no probs -

http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/
                              Just to let you all know, this company can pressure test racks, about £25 he reckoned.

Going to take my rack in later this week and see what happens...hopefully not

Comment

• how much to actual do the reconditioning as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X