No announcement yet.

ABY Steering Rack Removal Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh, when I did mine earlier this year it was VERY hard to get out even with gearbox remov e d.

Comment

That spline is a nightmare, mine was stuck fast.
      Then, I think if I remember right, the bolt sits in a groove in the shaft so even when it’s loose it doesn’t come off. That had me going.. I did mine with engine in place too, not the sort of job you want to do twice!
      I think this was when I chopped a hole in the battery tray to get to the rack and made up my mind to relocate the battery under the rear seat.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Correct, you must remove the bolt entirely to have a chance of removing -its a secondary safety thing... if I comes off you are likely to have a crash....

That said, the shaft was firmly locked on even without the bolt!

Lever bars, punches and a hammer, and plenty of lube.
        Last edited by Bowie69; 7 November 2021, 13:03.

Comment

Used a "glidehammer" or what its called and hammer and swearing. A lot of swearing, and cigarettes.. and violence. A lot of .. violence.
          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Yeah, was worried I was going to damage it tbh...

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
              Correct, you must remove the bolt entirely to have a chance of removing -its a secondary safety thing... if I comes off you are likely to have a crash....

That said, the shaft was firmly locked on even without the bolt!

Lever bars, punches and a hammer, and plenty of lube.
              My uncle got this S2 project that has steering rack issue. We'll take a closer look next week after we finish installing the suspension and fuel wheels on the Silverado and clear the garage. Hope not to face the nightmare removal.

Comment

Working...
              X