This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerflex Coupe rear diff mount

Well it’s been an interesting few months since I’ve had around 400 horses living under my bonnet, but the added strain on the cars driveline has taken its toll. Driveline shunt has gotten worse and the rear diff has been banging around back there, like it’s trying to get in the car with me.
    I had a look at the rear diff mount a couple of weeks ago and the bush was noticeably slack with several centimetres of play in it. I was going to just replace it an OEM bush and housing but before that I had a look to see if there was another option. I could find none listed for the S2 coupe, but Powerflex do list one for the quattro and coupe 1980 to 1991. I had a look on ETKA and the bonded rubber bush for these cars is specified as being 64.4mm in diameter and a quick measurement on my diff mount showed that was close enough, so I took a chance and ordered the bush part # PFR3-107 from Powerflex.

quattro page here:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/productsfr.htm

I picked it up today and it comes in two halves with a metal sleeve (my pack had two, I don’t know why?) and a small pack of grease.
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

assembled
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

Comment

I removed the housing from the diff and the subframe (the subframe has to be lowered to get enough clearance)

The old one was totally shagged!!
      Attached Files
      Mark - Modded

Comment

I cut the old bonded rubber bush from the housing
        Attached Files
        Mark - Modded

Comment

And hacksawed a cut into the bush shell and tapped it out with a chisel
          Attached Files
          Mark - Modded

Comment

I then cleaned up the housing and greased the bushes and assembled them and pressed in the metal sleeve
            Attached Files
            Mark - Modded

Comment

another
              Attached Files
              Mark - Modded

Comment

The whole lot was re-assembled. The new bush is wider and fits perfectly into the housing in the subframe, the new assembly is nice and tight and the diff is well and truly secure.
                Attached Files
                Mark - Modded

Comment

I’ve road tested it and its made a MASSIVE improvement probably cancelling out 75% of the driveline shunt that I was getting, alright admittedly the old bush was shagged but this has got to be better than the OEM bush especially for higher power applications that stress the whole driveline. I particularly like the fact that it is wider and takes up the entire subframe housing allowing no room for lateral play.
                  I think for the coupe that you have to buy the whole aluminium housing for around £50 this was only £24.95 with VAT, so a cheap upgrade as well, How often do you get that!!

Cheers,

Mark.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Not needed on Avants
                    S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Mark, that's fantastic news mate, that's another bush I don't have to worry about. Thanks for taking the chance for the rest of us!!

BTW, you think your bush was shagged? Take a look at mine...
                      Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
                      Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

Blimey Mik,

Those parts look like they've spent some time at the bottom of the ocean. That is quite some corrosion!! I guess you threw most of it away and remewed it.

Lee
                        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                          Blimey Mik,

Those parts look like they've spent some time at the bottom of the ocean. That is quite some corrosion!! I guess you threw most of it away and remewed it.

Lee
                          Probably some bright spark wanted to make it look nice under there and steam cleaned the wax off it, DOH! Reminds me, I must get under mine with the Waxoil before winter sets in.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Mark that looks like a great mod, thanks for posting I know which route I'll be taking when I do my car, and the UR too. The last one I fitted on the UR the guy in the parts dept told me the part No. was the same for a Golf void bush, about halved the price of the Audi part at the time.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

nice one mark, mine has some driveline shunt too and with my recent power upgrade i'll be needing to do this also, never actually checked what condition mines in, suspensions getting sorted asap so ill do it then.
                              ha ha the Mark H mod number 2

Comment

Working...
                              X