95 S2 Limo Replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJW,

Re: Circled brackets, IIRC they are a V6 thing (each w/two threaded studs, correct?), I believe they are the two rear-most of the attachment points for cars that could have then been fitted with an additional plastic under-tray extension that also fitted onto the aft edge of the usual one, similar to those found on some of the later, larger and VW cars also.

Comment

Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
      Never seen these brackets on a Coupe before?
      Attached to the body at the rear of the front subframe maybe a V6 thing?

brackets 2.jpg bracket 3.jpg
      It's attachment point for subframe reinforcement plates which your car is missing. One of the V6 body differences.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the information, didn't expect the old V6 to need additional support its not a very exciting power plant​

Comment

Thanks for the information, didn't expect the old V6 to need additional support its not a very exciting power plant​
          Lot more low down torque than the 7A, hence the faster acceleration times, pretty much across the board.

Comment

Looking at the state of the metal did it live near the seaside

Comment

mdz

Interesting, so do those two triangles you've shown then fasten to the rear sub-frame through-bolts, or to something else? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Yes, rear subframe bolt goes through the single hole. I'll take a picture if get the chance to be under a v6 car.

Comment

Thanks Michael, how you getting with yours? seen your S6 for sale very nice
                  Hoping to get the S2 back into daily use in April all things going well. S6 for sale but I'm slowly doing jobs on it and would like to keep it too, but if someone wants it then I would probably let it go.

Keep the updates coming you certainly know your way around these engines now.
                  1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                    Looking at the state of the metal did it live near the seaside
                    Thought it was in pretty good nick compared to my 95 Coupe.

Made a start on the the rear end.
                    All the bolts came out ok but the brake lines were all seized.

Downpipe is sleeved to 76mm a neat job with heat shield still in place.

sleeved dp.jpgexhaust.jpg

Lowered the whole lot as suggested using the lift.
                    Forgot about the vac lines to the diff until the clips came pinging off.

subframe 1.jpg subframe 2.jpg

Comment

Working on the Limo last couple of weeks.
                      Broke down the rear end in order to shift all that weight off my old table before it collapsed.
                      All the main bolts loosened off ok but all the brake lines and hoses were all kaput.
                      Was going to blast and powdercoat everything but with the lockdown I have been using the pressure washer, wire brush, wire cup and some electrolysis on the smaller bits.

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

Glad I managed to take all the parts to my mates work to press out the bushes a few weeks ago.
                      Got everything in bits so lots of cleaning and preparing at the moment.

After the table frame came in handy decided to stick some wheels on it and had some old metal shelf's to make a mobile up-cycled workbench.

IMG_9359.jpg IMG_9368.jpg

Rear diff look in good condition drain and fill bungs have loosened off, tempted to just clean and reinstall but there is some furry oily residue on the fuel tank shields that maybe points towards a diff seal leaking so maybe it will be best to change all the mechanical seals?

IMG_9173.JPG

Comment

Nice work
                        Not easy to outsource work when the whole country is in lockdown..
                        I would change all the seals while your at it..
                        00 S8
                        94 RS2
                        94 80 Competition
                        88 urquattro 20vt

Comment

Great work. I hope you have everything you need so you can continue making progress during quaratine. You might wanna check 4WheelOnline for the parts that you need.
                          Last edited by silverstark; 5 May 2020, 04:56.

Comment

Another month has passed and the limo project continues.
                            Been working on lots of jobs round the house during lockdown but moving on slowly with the refurbishment.
                            Here are some pictures to share.

before and after electrolysis

1.JPG 2.JPG

3.JPG 4.JPG

Had some red oxide primer at home so thought it would be good to coat the sub frame while waiting for POR15 to arrive, but the POR 15 sticks better with bare metal so will just roll with it and see how long it lasts.

11.JPG 5.JPG

Ordered a wee tin of yellow hammerite to clean up rear shocks. Decided to paint spings yellow as well but it was like painting with egg yolks and springs are hellish to brush paint the way

6.JPG

Comment

The electolysis gave really good results. I've wanted to the same for ages now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                                The electolysis gave really good results. I've wanted to the same for ages now.
                                Yea same here
                                Started with an old battery charger then ended up using a laptop power supply.
                                8 to 10 hours and the rust was just flaking off.

22.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X