No announcement yet.

My 1996 Silver ABY Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a single mass flywheel Ryan? 6-speed boxes can cause issues when combined with a single mass. However that would be described as a rattling noise rather than a knock.
    Last edited by quattrostyle; 7 September 2014, 18:29.

Comment

• DMF currently. Can't really figure this one out
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Intermittent knocking is normally something loose. I guess you've checked the usual suspects, drop links and top mounts? Has it started since you had all that work done recently?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Ryan - Fantastic looking car. It has made me want the S2 i am toying over all the more.
          How much have you spent on the car? What BHP is it now running?

Its a fantastic looking car. I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            Intermittent knocking is normally something loose. I guess you've checked the usual suspects, drop links and top mounts? Has it started since you had all that work done recently?
            Figured it out Alex, haven't posted as I've been kind of busy lately

Got the SMF setup done now and it is great, also one of those 034 bushing linkage upgrades which I have to say is pretty spot on once setup correctly.

The "clicking" noise I had was an inner front right CV joint, I suspect this was caused by me running just a downpipe for 300 miles, possibly cooked it up

Originally posted by Rav View Post
            Ryan - Fantastic looking car. It has made me want the S2 i am toying over all the more.
            How much have you spent on the car? What BHP is it now running?

Its a fantastic looking car. I love it.
            Haven't counted how much I have spent but more than the car cost me that's for sure

Running about 360hp thereabouts, not dynoed but it pulls like a train and left an RS3 behind
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• You drove your car with only a downpipe for 300 miles??? Did you have to wear ear plugs or are you deaf??? lol. You mad Maltan people!!! lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                You drove your car with only a downpipe for 300 miles??? Did you have to wear ear plugs or are you deaf??? lol. You mad Maltan people!!! lol
                I loved it! Yes we are quite mad actually..miss the sound if I'm honest so the rear box is gonna go (sit in a room) whilst I have a 3" straight through fabricated for the rear end
                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• You might want to consider ditching the center box and leaving the rear box. I have driven a 10V non turbo 5-pot for a week without a rear box and just a 3'' pipe and it was horrible. Ditched the center box and replaced the rear box and it was lovely.

Comment

• Ditched the centre box already and it sounds good with a 2.5" rear box, I might try with a 3" box and it would probably be loud enough for me then
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• That interior looks stunning Ryan.
                      96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                      96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Having gear change problems? Well this part was a little bit worn

IMG_2221 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_2222 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_2223 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Apart from that we modified the clutch slave push rod and extended it as something was clearly wrong before.

When we pushed the slave inside the box, and found the resistance at the gearbox fork, the mounting points for the slave are 5mm away so to mount the actual slave we have to pull it back and that was the reason why the slave rod was pushing out. The clutch is working great now since we extended the rod so my next option may be an adjustable slave push rod if such a thing exists? The only problem is the slave rod is slightly too long and occasionally the clutch pressure plate is pushing too far and making noise.

Can anyone help me out with an adjustable slave push rod?
                        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
                          The 5 spoke 3 piece rims are called ETA Beta Turbo Wheels (18")
                          These rims fits this car superb ! What is ET and J at the front and rear ? Have you had to machine center hole to fit them ?

Comment

• A beautiful coupĂ© ... I love this color ... it's LY7T?
                            The rims were and I really liked on my sedan

Comment

• It's been a while since any proper update, though work and mods are always ongoing with the car. It has taken a bit of a backseat due to a lot of life changes and workload I've been dealing with for the past few years.

We are currently in process of a restoration for the body, sunroof & some interior bits. Basically, the roof around the windscreen was getting rusty as all coupes seem to do, the bottom part of the windscreen also showed some rust once we removed it and that was rectified. The sunroof needed to come out as it had seen better days and a repair was due. Headlining was also sagging which has been done now as we got it out.

Once most of the car has been taken apart, we went ahead for a full proper respray as it had some paintwork done at some point in the past which would be best off to get it all done properly.

I will try and update as we go along, it has been 9 months now, it should be back from the spray painter next week and then we can begin assembly.

Here is what the sunroof looked like..

IMG_8956 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_9726 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

The whole interior was disassembled

IMG_8962 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

We began to reshape a new sunroof from fresh metal

IMG_9725 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_9729 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0146 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Test fitted and it works!

IMG_0382 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Some inner arch rust repairs

IMG_1290 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Front all looking good

IMG_1291 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Some small repairs to the rear panel, which seems to have been replaced likely in early life as an insurance repair.

IMG_1283 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_1292 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Off to the painters!

IMG_2634 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Primer set, painting this week hopefully

bea3c635-244e-4ba6-9f8f-18239166cedb by ryanaqui, on Flickr

6aee24bd-4d53-449a-9e65-2c828e83b852 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

More updates to come as interior bits come back from the upholsterer and we get assembly going!

1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Looking good mate!
                                I still remember the for sale ad when you got this, it looked nuts. Sometimes less is definitely more
                                F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
                                1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

Comment

Working...
                                X