No announcement yet.

Red S2 avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the car as my daily driver so i would like to keep the DM flywheel. When i mean abuse just a bit of fast road and track. I'm not planning to be doing full throttle launches. I already have a dedicated track car and I'm hoping not to end up with 2!

Comment

The dual mass SRE is still good for 450bhp and 500nm IIRC.

Its a slipper slope.....
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Been a funny old week with the car. I went to get something out the back of the car and was met with a puddle of water on the floor. I have been having issues with my heater unit air locking and residue on the windscreen. I put two and two together and decided that the heater matrix was burst. I set about changing it after work which turned out to be a nightmare of a job. 3 hours later the dash and heater unit were out. To my annoyance i found the heater matrix was in perfect working order ! So i fitted the new matrix anyway because this was not a job i wanted to be doing again! Sorry for the lack of photos but the rage i was i just wanted it to be done!

On sunday i started to have a look for the leak. it seemed to be coming from the bonnet cable:

The sealer looked ok but i decided to remove it and found water and dirt under it:

i then used sickaflex to reseal it. Its not prity i know but i'd rather this than water in the cabin:

can anyone tell me what this cable would have been for? it was tucked behind the fuse box:

I then removed the drivers seat to lift the carpet:

The sound deadening was knackered so i removed it:

I then held the carpet up and use the space heater to dry it out a bit:

I noticed that there was a plug under the drivers seat. It looks like the seats are heated.

I think they are out of a golf. I will need to have a look to see if its possible to wire them up.

The other job i have done this week is fit my golf gear shift balljoint. I used the guide Rusty had written up and got the shifter working well:

it seems there is still some play with the shifter which will probably be the shifter rod balljoint. I haven't decided yet whether to get an audi joint or the 034 one.

My next job will probably be diff and gearbox mountings. I have read some people using porsche mounts so will have a look at them.
        Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 09:14.

Comment

Ugh, I hate water ingress. But be careful, there is a hole there that allows water to run out onto the inner wing. That shouldnt be blocked.

Originally posted by andy j View Post

can anyone tell me what this cable would have been for? it was tucked behind the fuse box:

This looks like the loom for the heated windscreen washer jets.
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by andy j View Post
            I'm pretty sure the wires are for the under bonnet lamp and possibly heated windscreen washer jets. Take a look at the bottom of the jets to see if they each have a two pin plug to confirm this.

edit: Eric got there first.

Comment

I smoothed the sealer to the bottom of the drainage whole.
              I will have a look at the washer jets. The under bonnet light isn't working either.
              Anyone know where i could find wiring diagrams for my car?

Comment

Got few more jobs done on the car. First one was replace the broken oddometer gear after getting a new gear of Greg S.
                the old broken gear:

New gear fitted:

Then i turned my attention to the knackered rear upper arm bushes. The bolts were seized to the bushes but after a bit of soaking with penetrating oil i got them loose and the arm off:

i decided to buy some power flex inner and outer bushes for them:

I got some new nuts and bolts for them too:

All fitted and tightened up. No knocking or rattling from the back end anymore:

I also treated myself to a neuspeed rear anti roll bar:

It was really easy to fit. I haven't had it out a proper drive yet to see if it has got rid of the understeer:

I decided to change my gearbox oil too. What i have done is filled it with cheap gear oil to flush the box out. I will leave it in until i change the clutch then i will put the genuine VAG gear oil i have:

I decided to do an oil and filter change too. Got some fuchs titan GTI 5w-40 to put in:

I got home from work tonight and there was steam under the bonnet. The bleeder pipe had decided to snap off:

After some help on the S2 facebook page i got a new radiator from here:

http://www.adrad.co.uk/car-radiator/...=2.2&year=1994

It should arrive by thursday/friday. I will borrow my brothers car till then for work.

More updates soon hopefully!
                Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 09:28.

Comment

"Reassuring" to see you've having as much grief as I was with my S2.

There are two ways of doing it.

1. Have two S2s, and rebuild one and replace all of the obvious things, powder coat every bit and reassemble with copper grease. Daily drive the second one and interchange parts as break-downs dictate, new parts allow.

2. Have one S2, and repair it as it breaks, and have a spare ordinary car, as the back up/daily.

Different strokes for different folks, but either way, it's plenty of money, although the eventual payback from the first method is the long term better bet, albeit dearer.

It allows you to obtain new parts when funds allow / second hand parts when they come up for sale.

Now all of my S2 is done, it is very reliable and runs strong, looks good at just over 100k miles.

I think the mechanicals are the most important, then the interior, and lastly the paintwork. Ironically I find that when the paintwork is perfect I am continually fussing and irritable by new small scratches.

Enough of my opinions, thanks for sharing the 'normal' ups and downs of owning and using it. The parts numbers, the photos and the web links.

Comment

I know what you mean. I have always been a tinkerer and enjoy working with my cars. It gets very frustrating at times but anyone can go out and buy a car that is 100% reliable and live with it. But most generic cars like that would get boring after a 5 minutes of owning them and of course they aren't audi S2's!
                    The plan is get the chassis and drive train sound first then go chasing power.

Comment

what happened to the underside of me ol motor!
                      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by audinut View Post
                        what happened to the underside of me ol motor!
                        What do you mean?

Comment

It lives in Scotland, nature is trying to reclaim it
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Haha, here's me thinking it isn't that bad! With the camera flash it looks alot worse than it is.

Comment

thats how i remember it andy !
                              NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Well if you don't like the state the rear subframe is in then wait till you see the front subframe. Its my next job!

Comment

Working...
                                X