Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macspring View Post
    I agree.

What's your impressions on the various new bits, e.g. clutch system etc.

( I'm assuming you've been able to take it out for spin ? )

Thanks.
    The car is back on the road and the gearbox and clutch feel really good. The only issue i'm having i selecting 2nd now and again. The shifter linkage bush is knackered but i have ordered one of 034 shifter bushes. I'm pritty sure that will sort the issue. That will be in my next update!

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      You've been a busy boy Andy, loving your work.
      Any more info on the 911 engine mounts? I've looked at these before but there seem to be a few variants and I wasn't sure which ones would fit
      I got the one's i used of ebay. They came from the US. I bought 4 for the gearbox and rear diif mount but the ABY avants rear diff mount is different. So i have two spare i no longer need.
      Heres the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-91...item1c17d29b8a

Comment

Thanks for reply.

Continuing to 'stalk' the thread.

Comment

superb !
          NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Really Good!

Comment

Its been a while since my last update. I have been busy with various things with the car. My autocheck screen had started to bleed and was bugging me. So i managed to find a replacement:

There has been a mix match of different lengths of wheel bolt on the car since i bought it. So i treated myself some new ones:

The car had been smoking now and again even though i had changed the crank case breather. After a bit of reading it sounded like the one way valve was knackered. So i got a new one and fitted it. This has fixed the smoking problem i've been having:

I've had an ABS light on in the car for a while and with the MOT coming up i thought i would get it sorted. I checked the resistance on each of the sensors and the rear passanger side was faulty:

After a bit of looking i found that sensors were very expensive and i wanted to find a cheaper solution. After a bit of help from the forum i found that an A4 sensor would fit and that i would just need to change the plug. So i ordered on of ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delphi-Rea...UAAOSw5IJWcGyT

The old sensor was a ****** to get out but after about half an hour i got it out:

I then cut the plug of the old sensor and soldered it on to the new one. Once refitted this worked a treat and the ABS is now working again.

The front passanger side spring has been upside down since i bought the car. There has been a knocking front the front which i though was the spring binding up. I decided to change the strut tops while i was at it:

This solved my knocking problem. My track rod ends were looking tatty and the adjusters were seized solid. So i ordered some lemforder track rod ends from ECP:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...53beedd&000349

i also ordered some steering arm bushes and adjusters from bambridge:

After a bit of cleaning up and everything up:

I have been having problems with my shifter. The so i bought a 034 shifter bush and fitted it:

it was a poor fit and the bearing kept coming loose. After a bit of measuring and a morning of searching online i found an alternative to the 034 bush that would fit better:

this is the bearing i decided would fit better than the 034 bearing:

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/abwt9v...l_bearing.html

Then knowing i would have to press the bearing in shifter arm i would have to be able to tighten the sleeve once it was fitted. So i set about modifying the 034 sleeve. I decided to use the head of an allen bolt and weld it to the sleeve:

After welding it to the sleeve i turned down to allow the bearing to have as much movement as possible:

I then noticed that i need something to stop the bush from moving up the shaft. So i welded two tabs and filed them down to allow the bearing to clear then:

The bearing has a larger range of movement over the 034 bearing:

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the shifter arm cup. This would allow me access to tighten the retaining sleeve once the bearing was pressed in. I forgot to take a photo of it. I then pressed the bearing into the shifter arm:

The bearing is a really tight fit so won't need the grub screws to hold it in the cup. I then fitted it together:

I then fitted it to the car:

after about an hour of fiddling couldn't get it to to select 5th and 6th. I then realised that the front pivot arm bushes were worn and when tightened it was pulling the whole arm across to 1st and 2nd. So i made some bushes out of alloy and spaced the arm out and it works a treat:

The bearing is stiff but i think it will loosen of the more its used. The main thing is it selects all the gears.

I kept having coolant hoses bursting. So i ordered some roose coolant hoses:

While fitting the hoses the top snapped of the auxiliary pump. After a bit of hunting i found a pump:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-WATE...IAAOSwKIpWAb4t

The pump arrived and i got it fitted:

I have previously fitted my wagner exhaust manifold and RS2 downpipe but hadn't put it in my build thread:

I decided to order a rebuilt wastegate from EFI express. I would like to thank marc (a4kquattro) for all his help with the wastegate:

http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=56

The only thing i had to do is change the wastgate diaphragm:

When i stripped my wastegate (right hand in photo) i found a spacer and the adjuster screw had been turned right down:

My car has a homefries chip. Is this spacer and adjuster screw fully out normal to have or has someone been messing about with the car?
              I fitted the new wastegate without the spacer.
              I fitted a poly stub mount bush:

I decided to change the plugs while working on the car:

I then got the car MOT'ed which it passed no problem. With having the front apart and rebuild the steering arm to bits the handling was all over the shop. So i booked the car in to get the geometry set up:

Even though i tried to get everything close after the rebuild the geometry was out by quite a bit. The car is now driving great again.
              My next job is finding out why the car isn't holding boost. The car only boosts to 0.6 bar. I have done a a boost leak check and had the system up to 1.5 bar and it takes about 30 seconds to fall to zero. I can't find any leaks on the system anywhere.
              I'm not sure what to check next anybody got any suggestions?

Last edited by andy j; 15 October 2019, 18:31.

Comment

If you didn't find a boost leak but it only boosts to wastegate spring pressure, I have to suggest that something is wrong with your N75 WGFV. Could be unplugged electrically or the plumbing is wrong or something

N75 WGFV info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20987.phtml

Last edited by UrS4boy; 19 December 2015, 19:45.
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Great post listing the real world issues that affect our cars.

Good to see that a new oem crank breather valve helped.

My goodness, 034 do not cover themselves in glory with some of their products. Why can they not get them right, or just drop them.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the post. and include the photos which make the thread.

It's obvious too soon to see if there is any improvement with your new EFI wastegate. What did you feel was wrong with the old one ?

Also any feedback re the front snub mount ?

Hopefully the boost issue is something small and easily found.

Kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    If you didn't find a boost leak but it only boosts to wastegate spring pressure, I have to suggest that something is wrong with your N75 WGFV. Could be unplugged electrically or the plumbing is wrong or something

N75 WGFV info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20987.phtml

I fitted a new N75 valve earlier this year and Its plumbed in properly. It could be an electical issue with it. I will have a check.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                      Great post listing the real world issues that affect our cars.

Good to see that a new oem crank breather valve helped.

My goodness, 034 do not cover themselves in glory with some of their products. Why can they not get them right, or just drop them.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the post. and include the photos which make the thread.

It's obvious too soon to see if there is any improvement with your new EFI wastegate. What did you feel was wrong with the old one ?

Also any feedback re the front snub mount ?

Hopefully the boost issue is something small and easily found.

Kind regards.

Thanks for that! I would have to agree with you that a build thread isn't anything without photos.

I bought the wastegate when I bought my new turbo and manifold. If I'm honest I just wanted to start with fresh parts when I was going down the route of tuning the car. I haven't fitted my turbo yet but because of my boost issues I thought I would give the new wastegate a shot.
                      The snub mount has a lot less play in it. I'm in the process of making a mount with a cup on it. This should have no play in it.

As for the the boost issue. I would like it to be easy to fix but as you can see by my build thread nothing seem to be an easy fix for me!

Comment

Nice job Andy
                        Glad you got the linkage sorted in the end, as Mac said 034 parts are too often are a shower of ****. I never understand how they seem to be successful :l
                        Every time I see your car I want LMs
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Andy how are you finding the solid subframe bushes?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

For the low boost try disconnecting the MFTS electrically. Next stop would be possibly the knock sensors. Have you pulled any codes?

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              Andy how are you finding the solid subframe bushes?
                              Both front and back are solid bushes on mine and I don't mind them. My front subframe bushes were totally shot so if anything they are better.
                              Yeah, 034 parts from what I've experienced are pritty crap!
                              The shifter bush has loosened off and is feeling really good now.
                              The LM's are my favourite part of the car!

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                                For the low boost try disconnecting the MFTS electrically. Next stop would be possibly the knock sensors. Have you pulled any codes?
                                I will give the disconnecting electrically it a go. What should I be looking for when I disconnect it? The car is already acting like it's only working of the spring pressure only.
                                I fitted two new knock sensors not that long ago. My code reader has stopped working. Will get a new one ordered up.

Comment

Working...
                                X