No announcement yet.

Red S2 avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that guys. I have already changed the plug a while back for a new one. I cleaned the terminals up while swapping it but there might have been a faulty one I hadn't noticed.
    What's the chances the MFTS is faulty. Might just order a new one of those too just to get rid of any doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by andy j View Post
      Thanks for that guys. I have already changed the plug a while back for a new one. I cleaned the terminals up while swapping it but there might have been a faulty one I hadn't noticed.What's the chances the MFTS is faulty. Might just order a new one of those too just to get rid of any doubt.
      Have a look at Martin62's thread, specfically post 8 where he has figured out that he has a faulty MFTS that was sending an over temp signal to his ABY ECU and the ECU was properly using that info (albeit false info) to decrease boost (this is an ABY and ADU issue not an AAN issue)

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79721
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Success, i have boost!

I changed the connectors in the hope i didn't have to fork out £150 for a sensor from audi:

Unfortunately that didn't work. So i got a sensor from audi. I was expecting a four pin sensor but got a three pin:

They went and checked the system. The sensor was changed from a four to a three pin back in 1993:

I changed the sensor for the new one and the one that had come off was a three pin sensor:

I took the car out a drive and it so much faster now. The boost gauge seems to sit about 1.2/3 bar. I'm going to check the guage at work with my calibrated pressure tester to see how accurate it is.

Since buying the car there has always been a smell of fuel. When i last checked the fuel pump i noticed that the tank cover was split pritty much in two and the rubber seal wasn't fitted right. So i finally got round to swapping the old snapped one for new one from audi:

The new one fitted and the smell of fuel has gone:

My boot has been getting damp and the car steaming up. So i went looking and found it was coming from the rear lights. Turns out the only thing holding the rear lights in was the sealing gasket. Not a nut or bolt in sight!
        So i ordered some sealing rope from audi. I stripped the old stuff off:

and refitted the lights properly with sealing rope and nuts:

I decided to take a look at the ECU to confirm that it was a homefries chip. I was met with this :

I have never heard of this company. I have done a bit of looking and they seem to do a lot with fords. Anybody on here heard of them before?

On another note.
        My dad has decided to sell up his bodyshop business. This means i will have nowhere to work on/ look after the car. It also means that the other projects that i have on the go will need to be finished up before he shuts up shop. This unfortunately means the S2 will need to be sold to fund finishing everything else up. Its a a pain cause all the work i have put in to the car has finally payed off and it is driving brilliantly but needs must!
        Last edited by andy j; 15 October 2019, 17:34.

Comment

Oh well at least you have found out that its not Homefried in the S2 Forum sense!
          We suspected that as the wastegate would not have been played with.
          Can you get a shot of the boost chip, the one on the same board as the map sensor already pictured. It doesen't appear to have a mappers label on it which could be worrying as it implies it has not been reprogrammed.
          The issue is of course you don't know what you have really. If the wastegate is now stock and the boost chip is unmodified, you shouldn't have more than stock level of boost say 1 Bar or 1.1ish! It has the hallmarks of a Superchips conversion, the encyption board and bodged wastegate. If that company was associated with Superchips that might explain it.

Just Googled that firm and they did rebadge Superchip conversions!

Comment

The white label on the boost chip was blank.

Comment

The white label on the boost chip was blank.
              So its not silver with numbers starting 1 267? If not then its possible that it has been reprogrammed as you would need to remove the OE sticker to UV erase the chip.
              However if it was reprogrammed they wouldn't need to ****** about with the wastegate! Unless of course somebody has touched the wastegate to get back the boost loss caused my the faulty MFTS! Who knows.
              I would ensure that the mechanical boost level, i.e without the MFTS or N75 connected is within the standard 0.4-0.5bar range. Then see what happens when reconnected.
              The consensus has been that Superchips did not touch the boost chip and used underisable ways to get increased boost, something that competent tuners did not!

Comment

Did the new fuel tank cover come with a new seal as well? Also, what kind of a tool did you use for securing the black ring around it? I can never get it to go on very well.
                1994 Audi 80 Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Klobsters View Post
                  Did the new fuel tank cover come with a new seal as well? Also, what kind of a tool did you use for securing the black ring around it? I can never get it to go on very well.
                  The tank cover came without the gasket. I re used the one that was there. I just used my hands to tighten the black nut. The trick is to get the fuel lines high enough to start the nut square. This stops it cross threading and is tricky to do!

Comment

Andy, such a shame you have to sell up after all the work you have put in
                    Can you not store the other projects temporarily? You will really struggle to ever find another avant like this one

IF it does have to go, at least sell me the LMs first

Seriously though, find a way to keep it
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      Andy, such a shame you have to sell up after all the work you have put in
                      Can you not store the other projects temporarily? You will really struggle to ever find another avant like this one

IF it does have to go, at least sell me the LMs first

Seriously though, find a way to keep it
                      If I can find a way to keep the car I will. I will need to get this ECU chip sorted before I sell it. I couldn't consciously sell the car to someone knowing there is a problem. I'm just not made that way!

Comment

My power steering pump decided to start spraying out of the X plug on the top of it:

I took the plug out and the O ring was split:

So i ordered a new X plug and O ring from audi:

I got the plug fitted and i had a spare bottle of power steering fluid:

The pump bled up fine and my leak is now sorted.
                        I have been going through all the bits i have for the car. I have all the bits i need to fit the bigger turbo to the car:

But now the boost is fixed, it is plenty fast for back roads. So i'm not sure if i'm going to fit the bigger turbo or not!
                        Last edited by andy j; 15 October 2019, 17:40.

Comment

I have all the bits i need to fit the bigger turbo to the car:

But now the boost is fixed, it is plenty fast for back roads. So i'm not sure if i'm going to fit the bigger turbo or not!
                          That turbo is a K26 and is not suited to your car. You want a K24-7200 or K24-7400 and appropriate software. The K26 will be way too laggy and you won't enjoy driving it.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Been really busy between my work and my dads bodyshop, so not done to much to the car. The main reason for this update is i have sorted out my issue i had with the chip. I would like to thank Martinsw for selling me a set of PRJ chips.
                            I was going to have a go at fitting the chips myself but thought better of it. The fuel chip was socketed but the boost chip being standard and soldered in:

I headed over to my buddy at H tune and he removed and socketed the boost chip for me:

I refitted the ECU and all i can say is it is awesome. Put the foot down and boom 1.4bar and car pulls really strong in any gear and it is running alot better too.

There is another thing i have noticed since fitting the chips:

I have never really had anything more than 175 miles out of a tank of fuel and thats on a run somewhere. Between changing the fuel tank cover and fitting the chips i'm up to 250 mile out of a tank and thats day to day commuting.

Next plan for the car is engine oil, gearbox oil and rear diff oil change before getting the car up for sale.
                            Last edited by andy j; 15 October 2019, 17:47.

Comment

Good result, more economy and power. That doesnt see quite right does it!
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                                Good result, more economy and power. That doesnt see quite right does it!
                                I think the fuel tank cap had a lot to do with it. The car was always stinking of fuel ever since I bought it. Since the last fill up i have just went over 300 miles and there is still fuel in it. Some how it has got more economical.

Comment

Working...
                                X