No announcement yet.

Red S2 avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup ! I remember , I never got that far the last part for me was going to be to pull the motor and front subframe and have it all done , but I couldn't afford any more investment at the time :-(
    NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by audinut View Post
      yup ! I remember , I never got that far the last part for me was going to be to pull the motor and front subframe and have it all done , but I couldn't afford any more investment at the time :-(
      I know what you mean. Over all its still a cracking car and money permitting i will have it up to tip top shape! Going to be selling up my metro track car soon because i can't afford 3 money pits in my life. My metro' the audi and my house!

Comment

Originally posted by andy j View Post
        I know what you mean. Over all its still a cracking car and money permitting i will have it up to tip top shape! Going to be selling up my metro track car soon because i can't afford 3 money pits in my life. My metro' the audi and my house!
        dont forget the wife nr 4

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
          dont forget the wife nr 4
          Haha, wasn't sure if she would read this or not!

Comment

Well its been evenful few weeks. Got the burst radiator stripped out of the car:

after removing it the waiting game began. I had payed next day delivery for the radiator, but two days later it still hadn't shown up. I then received an email to say it had been dispatched and would be with me the next day. It finally turn up and straight away i notice a hole in the box:

then opened the box to this:

phoned the company and they told me they couldn't get another radiator. So the refunded me.
            Luckily i received an email from a previous company i had ordered an alloy radiator from. I got sick of waiting weeks for it and cancelled my order. They said they had a radiator in stock and wondered if i was still interested. I bought that and waited 5 days for it to arrive:

I got the radiator from here http://www.carlicious-parts.com/epag...Products%2F496

The only thing i had to do to it was add mounting holes for the fan cowl:

Got it all fitted:

I finally received my turbo from Albert :

Still got a few things to get before i fit this. Need to sort out some injectors, a fuel pump and the downpipe and exhaust.

When fitting the radiator i noticed that plug on the thermostat on the coolant rail was damaged:

I ordered a new plug and some gaskets from audi:

I decided to get a new genuine thermotstat for the car:

I got a new N75 valve and fitted it too:

Fitted my new plug too:

I am having a problem getting the air out of the system. No matter what i do the heater keeps air locking and the lower rad hose never gets warm. The only way to keep the heaters working is keep the revs over 3500rpm but even after alot of driving it still airlocks at lower revs and the lower hose stays cool!

Anybody know how to get rid of this airlock?
            Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 09:42.

Comment

5-pots can be a pain to get the cooling system air free. What has worked for me in the past is removing the top hose from the radiator and fill it up as well as the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                5-pots can be a pain to get the cooling system air free. What has worked for me in the past is removing the top hose from the radiator and fill it up as well as the radiator.
                Thanks, i will give that a go!
                My next problem is that the bleed point has now broken of the heater return hose:

Going to phone audi today see about getting a new one.
                Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 09:46.

Comment

You can elevate the header tank to make bleeding easier, unbolt it from the car but leave the hoses connected, stick a bit of wood etc under to hold it high.

I also bleed it at a fast idle, stick a screwdriver in the throttle stop to hold it at 1500-2000rpm, heats up faster and seems to work air bubbles through the system.

I have poured water in the rad hose to fill it faster.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Had another hose burst so I've ordered a new set of roose silicon hoses. Will give that a go when i get them andy.

Comment

Been a while since my last update but i've been really busy with the car.

I got myself a code reader and it came up with the code for a lambda sensor fault. So i got myself a lambda sensor:

After removing the old lambda sensor i'm not surprised it was showing a code. The wires had been cut:

I fitted the new sensor which got rid of the code:

I got a secondhand power steering pump from ERROR404 because my one was leaking and i wanted to rebuild it:

My steering damper was knackered so i managed to get a new one:

It made alot of difference to the way the car drives. Worth every penny!

I noticed my knock sensors were all cracked and broken:

Got myself two new one's and got them fitted:

I removed my fuel pump to see what it was like so i could order a better uprated one:

My friend owns H tune and is an aeromotive dealer. So i got him to order me an aeromotive steath pump. I went with the 11169 GM inlet:

I finally got round to getting my new sachs clutch and slave cylinder:

and i decided to get myself a JHM full carbon synchro kit:

Then the games began. I had every intention to photo every step of doing this but once i was in the zone i forgot:

So the old clutch didn't look to bad. It wasn't slipping but i decided to change it anyway for when i fit my new turbo:

Got the new one fitted and torqued up:

The slave cylinder had seen better days too:

I got myself a bosch slave cylinder which the bleed port was in a slightly different position but it still fitted:

I then set about the gearbox:

New selector collar and 1st and 2nd gear synchros:

Here is original audi second gear synchro. It was well worn and bits of brass were showing through the carbon:

Here is the orginal audi first gear synchro which wasn't as worn as second gear:

I tried to get more photos of rebuilding the gearbox but all the photos were blurred cause of the oil over my phone and weren't worth posting. Here is the pile of bit i had left over after i was finished:

Here is some of the tool i need to complete the job:

The next think to do was remove the inlet because the injector seats needed removed. I ended up burning them out because the were stuck. I had to clean up the cylinder head too:

I refitted the seats with gas tape and high temperature sealant:

While i had the front subframe i decided to clean up and repaint it before fitting the solid subframe bushes:

Front subframe finished and bushes fitted. I used porsche 911 engine mounts for the gearbox:

I fitted a new crank case pressure relief valve and cleaned all the flame tramp and pipe work up:

I have done alot more work and more to do but thats enough for one update. More to come soon!
                      Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 10:09.

Comment

Now that's an update! Great work

Comment

Great work there.

Regarding the slave cylinder:

1. Any details on the Bosch replacement Part Number?

2. You pre-emptively dodge a bullet. That is the exact kind of slave cylinder failure that caused my 94 UrS4 V8 6 spd avant fail to release the clutch from the flywheel = flat bed home when the failure is many kms and several hills between you and home.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post

Now that's an update! Great work

I agree.

What's your impressions on the various new bits, e.g. clutch system etc.

( I'm assuming you've been able to take it out for spin ? )

Thanks.

Comment

You've been a busy boy Andy, loving your work.
                              Any more info on the 911 engine mounts? I've looked at these before but there seem to be a few variants and I wasn't sure which ones would fit
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                                Great work there.

Regarding the slave cylinder:

1. Any details on the Bosch replacement Part Number?

2. You pre-emptively dodge a bullet. That is the exact kind of slave cylinder failure that caused my 94 UrS4 V8 6 spd avant fail to release the clutch from the flywheel = flat bed home when the failure is many kms and several hills between you and home.

I'm glad i took the advice of the forum and ordered a slave cylinder before doing the job. Here is the part number:

Comment

Working...
                                X