Hoyle's typ85 80 quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Hoyle,

Great car / work so far. Love the back story.

I remember the car being advertised in the back of Audi Driver magazine.

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=21599

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=21125

A steal at the price given the condition and the spec.

Was the TSR head much different to a standard head ? Just idly curious.

Each bit more I read you anticipated what I would have done myself. Powder coating, stainless steel jubilee clips, prep of the engine block, head and rocker cover etc.

So glad you got rid of the bonnet pins, ruined many a good looking car.

If I could make a couple of comments, the first is that you might consider a black chrome electric ariel as all ‘brightwork’ trim is already black “GTI” spec.

Also a black out the chrome trim inserts on the door trims, ( a lower spec car may have all black plastic from the factory ? ), and on the four ‘silver’ door handle inserts, take them out and run a line of high quality black insulation tape along them and slip them back into position.

Source the all red ( U.S. spec ? ) rear light cluster that just has an insert of the number plate, like the taillights on say a UrS6 saloon ? http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...t=24812&page=2 See photos on post number 19.

Do the Audi 90 bumpers and sill easily fit your Audi body shell ?

"White" indicator covers on the front ?

Is the reg “A 80 AWD” available ?

ABY was the right choice, and an RS2+ spec should be more than enough. Anymore and you’ll have to start upgrading loads of other bits to maintain perfect reliability. Chipping the ABY will be fun as it is.

Do the ur quattro 8 x 15 rims fit this car, or are they too wide for the existing arches. The ‘dished’ effect might be nice imho, with a suitable sized tyre.

16" Avus wheels or UsS4 five spoke 16" rims. ( Change of hubs to 5 x 112 being necessary acknowledged ).

Great thread, and well documented and photographed. Thanks for sharing. A great read, just what I’d like to do, as well as everything else I want to do with C4s and B4s. Was relieved that I saw later in the thread that it’s taken you three years and counting as I was beginning to feel even more envious at your apparent rate of progress.

As you appear to be doing, keeping it looking oem on the outside with a ABY+ on the inside is the way to go, i.e. sleeper / resto mod.

Some old Mk 2 Recaros in Audi 80 period style cloth would be a good addition to the car given it’s performance potential.

I love the mirrored wall at the back of the garage that might give your wife the impression that you had a second white Audi 80 !!!

Looking forward to further updates.

Last edited by macspring; 28 November 2015, 01:35.

Comment

Ur Quattro rims are et20 and will not fit without the appropriate wheel arches.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
        Ur Quattro rims are et20 and will not fit without the appropriate wheel arches.
        Ok. Thanks.

That sorts that then.

Comment

I've just added comments in red to reply!

Originally posted by macspring View Post
          Hi Hoyle,

Great car / work so far. Love the back story.

I remember the car being advertised in the back of Audi Driver magazine.

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=21599

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=21125

A steal at the price given the condition and the spec.

Was the TSR head much different to a standard head ? Just idly curious.

- As far as I'm aware, it had oversize valves & porting.

Each bit more I read you anticipated what I would have done myself. Powder coating, stainless steel jubilee clips, prep of the engine block, head and rocker cover etc.

So glad you got rid of the bonnet pins, ruined many a good looking car.

If I could make a couple of comments, the first is that you might consider a black chrome electric ariel as all ‘brightwork’ trim is already black “GTI” spec.

Also a black out the chrome trim inserts on the door trims, ( a lower spec car may have all black plastic from the factory ? ), and on the four ‘silver’ door handle inserts, take them out and run a line of high quality black insulation tape along them and slip them back into position.

I quite like the chrome/ss accents on the car - and it's how it left the factory - which, although I'm by no means a purist, I do like it to be how it was intended, mostly.

Source the all red ( U.S. spec ? ) rear light cluster that just has an insert of the number plate, like the taillights on say a UrS6 saloon ? http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...t=24812&page=2 See photos on post number 19.

The "all red" clusters are only suitable for the typ85 shape 80 and 90 - they wouldn't fit and if I do anything to my lights, I'd tint the top half with grey film, to look something like the MK2 GTI 16V rear lamps.

Do the Audi 90 bumpers and sill easily fit your Audi body shell ?

Yes, they would - but the originals give the cars much better lines. Audi probably only introduced those bumpers for pedestrian safety or some form of legislation!

"White" indicator covers on the front ?

These are available in Europe, at great cost though. I'd not pay a 3 figure bill for 2 pieces of plastic!

Is the reg “A 80 AWD” available ?

As far as I'm aware, no. But my friends say HWD is Hoyle Wheel Drive - I'll take that.

ABY was the right choice, and an RS2+ spec should be more than enough. Anymore and you’ll have to start upgrading loads of other bits to maintain perfect reliability. Chipping the ABY will be fun as it is.

Do the ur quattro 8 x 15 rims fit this car, or are they too wide for the existing arches. The ‘dished’ effect might be nice imho, with a suitable sized tyre.

They would be far too wide - I've got a set of 15x7 Ronal R8 - an ideal compromise.

16" Avus wheels or UsS4 five spoke 16" rims. ( Change of hubs to 5 x 112 being necessary acknowledged ).

Running 5x112 gives me more scope for wheels - I quite like the B5 S4 17" Avus.

Great thread, and well documented and photographed. Thanks for sharing. A great read, just what I’d like to do, as well as everything else I want to do with C4s and B4s. Was relieved that I saw later in the thread that it’s taken you three years and counting as I was beginning to feel even more envious at your apparent rate of progress.

As you appear to be doing, keeping it looking oem on the outside with a ABY+ on the inside is the way to go, i.e. sleeper / resto mod.

Some old Mk 2 Recaros in Audi 80 period style cloth would be a good addition to the car given it’s performance potential.

I love the mirrored wall at the back of the garage that might give your wife the impression that you had a second white Audi 80 !!!

Looking forward to further updates.

Comment

Working...
          X