• Show
Clear All

I feel for you mate,
    1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
    2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
    2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

people asking for parts after you specifically said not to ask

glad both you and the dog are ok, any pictures of her? and you could argue with your insurance that it would cost you way more to get back into the drivers seat of another one as there have been cases of people doing that and getting good results.

Comment

Glad you and the dog are ok, that is a lucky to walk away from!

Sad to see the car end up like that, it looked spot on before, but at least its just a car.

Regarding the insurance

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u..._disputes.html

64/04
        motor vehicle insurance - dispute over insurer's valuation - classic car insured on "agreed value" basis

When Mr H bought a classic car, he took out a motor insurance policy on an "agreed value" basis rather than on the more usual "market value" basis.

Such policies are generally taken out only by owners of classic or particularly valuable cars, where the value is unlikely to depreciate substantially - if at all.

The value of the vehicle is agreed in advance and insurer is then obliged to pay that amount if the car is lost or damaged beyond reasonable repair. However, the insurer is not obliged to pay for the replacement cost of the vehicle.

Mr H agreed the value of his classic car under this policy was £2,500. Unfortunately, the car was badly damaged when Mr H was involved in an accident. The insurer took the view that it would cost more than £2,500 to remedy the damage, so it offered him £2,500, in settlement of the claim.

Mr H thought that this figure was far too low. He told the insurer that, bearing in mind the good condition of the car before the accident, it would cost between £4,000 and £5,000 to replace. He therefore wanted the insurer to pay that amount.

complaint not upheld
        We noted that Mr H had renewed his annual policy twice - on the "agreed value" basis - before the claim in question. The policy terms, which had been clearly stated in the policy documents, said that Mr H was entitled to receive the "agreed value" of the car - not the cost of replacing it. So we told him we could not uphold his complaint.
        What you have to do to get Kit topless though!

At least if you keep the salvage you will have a good pile of spares, or swap the running gear into an 80 saloon
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

That's such a shame, glad your ok though.

Darren

Comment

You were beyond lucky to walk away from that one mate, given what you and the car went through the fact you weren't impaled on a fence post or tree still amazes me.

It took a good deal of effort to extract, I had to seriously abuse that dumper to get it to budge and opened a link on one chain doing it, I used three foot run up's and full throttle to rip it out from there! That bank is much steeper than it looks in the photo's!

All in all quite hot work, hence the need to remove garments.

Edit... I must reiterate the request not to ask for parts, the car is totalled, yet to be stripped and at this stage it can't be determined what can be safely salvaged and reused other than a handful of trim parts. The timing has jumped due to hitting a tree head on and I'm yet to take the head off and see what the score is. Also the drivers seat is twisted and I haven't even attempted to remove it yet.
            Last edited by K Simmonds; 6 August 2016, 20:17.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

All in all quite hot work, hence the need to remove garments.
              Does it really get that hot in Wales kit ?! Your just showing off!

Great to hear Charlie is ok and his dog.

Looking on the bright side, .. .. .. i can see a B4 80 quattro saloon rebuild coming on.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

That is such a shame, gutted for you mate. The fact you walked away unscathed is all that matters at the end of the day..
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Glad you walked away from that! Not as easy to replace body parts as it is a car even if it was a prized possession it would have done you know good if you were dead!

Comment

Firstly although it's a little tactless I can't begrudge anyone wanting to jump in and put their hands up for parts as they're increasingly difficult to get hold of and unless you're devoid of any empathy it must be difficult to ask someone who's just had an accident if they can scrounge any of the debris without feeling like a cheeky git.

That said I won't be granting anyone first dibs on anything until I've settled the salvage and decided for myself what I want to keep and get rid of.

As far as insurance I've claimed that it was my understanding that the agreed value was agreed minimum value and that similar examples have been fetching around £34k, I'll see what they say about that. Not holding my breath though.

Besides as Dean says as least I can tell the tale and walk the dog.

Speaking of which, meet Holly who I'm immensely proud of as she very much brightens up my life with her funny quirks, squeaks, bemused looks on her face, tail chasing and general crazy behaviour, and her growl when she wants to play always brings a smile to my face:

This is Holly checking out a slug that had fallen off the bottom of one of my recycling boxes as I brought them in yesterday:

The slug didn't survive the investigation, but it's always great fun to watch Holly as she stumbles upon new creatures. The way she jumped back and forth to a bedazzled little bird that had flown into my glass sliding door was hilarious! I have a picture of her discovering a hedgehog somewhere, fantastic, she never knows what to make of new animals and insects!

Holly sleeping on my lap, looking like she's whacked out on drugs:

Holly deciding my clothes basket would be a good place to take a nap:

The same but this time trying the foetal position as opposed to the ball position:

Chewing a stick:

Posing in the kitchen:

Posing in front of the fire using a piece of wood pretending to smoke a cigarette:

Making a mess, something she excels at:

She's just lovely:

She has certainly helped in these unfortunate times...
                    RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                    RS2 - LHD on the road again
                    RS2 - reduced to component parts
                    RS2 Saloon replica
                    A4 1.8T
                    BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                    sigpic

Comment

Charlie,so glad your both doing well and have to say Holly's a right character
                      and must be great company especially after whats happened.
                      Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 7 August 2016, 02:04.
                      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

sorry for that car, but the most important thing is that you are OK

S2 limo

Comment

Originally posted by cardcrash View Post
                          Firstly although it's a little tactless I can't begrudge anyone wanting to jump in and put their hands up for parts as they're increasingly difficult to get hold of and unless you're devoid of any empathy it must be difficult to ask someone who's just had an accident if they can scrounge any of the debris without feeling like a cheeky git.That said I won't be granting anyone first dibs on anything until I've settled the salvage and decided for myself what I want to keep and get rid of.
                          Thought: Buy an Audi 80 avant and swap *ALL* of the RS2 goodies into the shell. A lot of work but you'd have an RS2 (clone) again. Depending how creative you wanted to be, you could even swap the VIN on cowl and ARGE plate to really re-create your RS2.

Maybe.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Jesus ! hope you okay

Comment

Similar thing has happened to me. Tootling along at 90kph on a very familiar road, see an old Corona with one wiper up ahead waiting to turn onto the main road and as I am about go past decides to pull out. I ended up down the bank and the guy in the Corona once he sees me crawl out the window takes off!
                              Your lucky to be basically uninjured. Brings you back down to earth quickly.

Comment

Sorry to here and see this mate.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X