No announcement yet.

Scratched my RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OHHH MY GOD Charlie, can't believe you're bad luck!!! Lucky for you that you could actually contemplate whether or not the difflock would help you get out of there!! Main thing is that you and your dog are ok and that no-one else involved were injured. Hope you get you mind sorted out after this one mate, I know it will take a while to get over losing your pride and joy, but you will get over it someday...I'm still not over my loss yet!!!

Anyway take care buddy
    1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
    2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
    1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
    1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
    2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
    1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
    2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
    1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Glad to hear you and your dog are ok.

Comment

Wow , amazing you both got out without serious injuries to paw or posteria ! Shame about the car but I'm a massive dog lover and would've been more worried about the pooch than the car in a similar situation ! Like you said you can live to tell tale and walk the dog .!,

Re the standard of driving nowadays I drive for a living and can only agree with previous posts that it is indeed shocking nowadays , and so true that in rural areas people seem to ignore the white lines in the middle of the road. Wonder why it seems to be on the up .? I therefore did invest in a high pixel dashcam that would be admissible as evidence in a court of law - some aren't - so check . The Police did a list somewhere of preferred units that are suitable. Just that being on the roads all times of the day and night you never know and if it's on camera it's irrefutable...

Again , glad you're both ok.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a huge dog fan as well, Holly love's playing with my elderly Staffy, their so good natured together and are great fun to watch even if things can get a bit out of hand at times.

Oh well, their going to get to spend the day together tomorrow as I'm going to to give Charlie a hand to strip the car of all useful parts, air tools at the ready...
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
            ... as I'm going to to give Charlie a hand to strip the car of all useful parts, air tools at the ready...
            I thought that the insurance company said that was verbotten so that no potentially damaged parts make it back into the market, potentially resulting in future accidents and/or loss of life. What is that Category A? B?

Category A

Scrap only. For cars so badly damaged they should be crushed and never re-appear on the road. Even salvageable parts must be destroyed.
            Category B

Body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles.

Category C

The vehicle is repairable but the costs exceed the vehicle’s value. Can re-appear on road.

Category D

The vehicle is repairable but repair costs are significant compared to the vehicle value – including time delays to source parts. Can re-appear on road.

The ABI Salvage Code dictates that Category A and Category B cars should be crushed, with Cat B vehicles allowed to donate some safe and serviceable parts.

However, write-offs in the latter two categories can be sold on by the insurance company, either to the original owner or to a third party via a car salvage company. Cars written off as a Category C case, according to the ABI’s Salvage Code, “require a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) before a V5C registration certificate is re-issued by the DVLA.” The VIC is carried out by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) (formerly VOSA).

As no notifications are made to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or VOSA when a car is written off in a Category D situation, the vehicle is not subject to a VIC before it is allowed back on the road – just make sure the repair work has been carried out to a safe and satisfactory standard.

Cars in the latter two categories can sometimes represent a bargain, if they are priced accordingly. An older car can be repaired to an acceptable standard at a lower cost than that dictated by an insurance company’s standards – especially if used parts or cheaper labour are used.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

It doesn't really make much scene, but to put it as simply as possible....

Cat A.... Straight to the crusher.

Cat B.... Can be stripped for parts, either by a breaker or the owner, often ends up in the crusher anyway.

Cat C&D... can be fixed and put back on the road.

The VIC check is no way safety orientated, all their interested in is preventing ringing, they don't even put the car on a ramp, simply a formality.

This car is a Cat B...
              Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 August 2016, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                I thought that the insurance company said that was verbotten so that no potentially damaged parts make it back into the market, potentially resulting in future accidents and/or loss of life. What is that Category A? B?
                The insurance company said I can take any parts I want off the vehicle and then they will come and pick-up the shell/carcass so I would imagine in my case it's a cat B.

Nice one Kit I'll see you tomorrow.

Tried removing the front seat today, I have no idea what the problem could be...
                RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                RS2 - LHD on the road again
                RS2 - reduced to component parts
                RS2 Saloon replica
                A4 1.8T
                BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cardcrash View Post
                  The insurance company said I can take any parts I want off the vehicle and then they will come and pick-up the shell/carcass so I would imagine in my case it's a cat B.

Nice one Kit I'll see you tomorrow.

Tried removing the front seat today, I have no idea what the problem could be...

It probably needs kicking a bit and I might have to cut a couple of slots to release the tension in the floor pan, will bring my 9" disc cutter with me.

Having done a couple before I have a plan, we'll strip it in a day mate.

Comment

Yes it''l definitely require your grinder, the rails are bent in a way that has made the seat absolutely solid, no amount of shoving had any effect whatsoever!
                    RS2 Saloon replica
                    A4 1.8T
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cardcrash View Post
                      In that case you could transfer almost everything to a Audi 80 quattro to re-create the RS2 experience even if it is still registered as an Audi 80.

Just sayin'.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Right grinder and sledge hammer it is.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                          In that case you could transfer almost everything to a Audi 80 quattro to re-create the RS2 experience even if it is still registered as an Audi 80.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, that's an option... but the cam timing has taken a whack and there's no compression on all five cylinders, so the heads going to have to come off, plus there's loads of bent components.

Until it's stripped it's hard to know what to do with it.
                          Last edited by K Simmonds; 11 August 2016, 08:42. Reason: So it makes sense.

Comment

Everytime I look at this car I'm amazed at the amount of damage it has sustained, it's really quite fascinating just how mangled it is.

Definitely not square and true anymore

Near side rear door requires a little nudge to open and close now

Would have been a little unsettling being a rear passenger, and diffcult to advocate the use of seatbelts in this situation

Who wanted the front bumper? £500, minor scuff marks at each side

Same deal for the rear bumper

Buckle up people. Unless perhaps you're planning to sit in the back and have a side on impact, jury's out on that one.
                            RS2 Saloon replica
                            A4 1.8T
                            sigpic

Comment

Bumpers will be fine with a few staples and some filler don`t forget to remove the front and rear rs2 badges, easy to miss and £40 each new
                              ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                              THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
                                Bumpers will be fine with a few staples and some filler don`t forget to remove the front and rear rs2 badges, easy to miss and £40 each new
                                Good point, I think their brand new ones to boot.

Everything of use will be removed tomorrow and the rubbish thrown in the car ready for the insurance company to take away and crush.

I have my eye on the Recaro's, bent or not I'll fix them for my Coupe.

The carbon trim all seems to have survived intact which is remarkable give how mangled the nearside doors/cards are.

Oh yeah, nice one for removing the dash today Charlie, it's a something of a fiddle and will save me a bit a load of time pulling the looms through the bulkhead tomorrow.

Have you got any old tyres? No worries it not I'll grab some from Jims in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X