X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruins your whole day doesn't it......

hope you recover quickly from the shock of the accident

Comment

Bloody hell Charlie I seriously hope like everyone else on here that you are ok. Take care

Comment

Eish.....hope you're physically OK. That is a sad sight

Comment

Dam that looked like a big one, hope you're OK?
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

wow, cannot believe my eyes. Echo everything said above.

Comment

Gutted for you Charlie. By creating the post I take it your OK?
              Stuart
              B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Lucky to walk away from that one bud.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Sad for the both of you, glad your ok

orsum

Comment

Sweet holy heck! That's a really sad sight, you're lucky be alive. Everyone needs an Action Kit on standby to save the day.

Comment

Oh no!
                      B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Holy s*i!. Fair play to Kit, the build quality of that car and a bit of luck thrown in for good measure.

Good to hear you posting and maintaining a good sense of humour. Biggies are not funny but can be laughed at in time.

Good to see you walked away from that.

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, I was/am remarkably unscathed bar some seatbelt bruising and an airbag burn on my wrist.

What happened was, as best as I can remember after being punched in the face with an explosive balloon (I also went back to the site for a little forensic examination) I was tootling along as I often did on a road I travel very, very frequently, I guess about 40-50mph, when ahead of me a big black Mercedes was in the middle of the road coming round a corner so I instinctively snatched it left and as I corrected it the rear wheel dropped into the drainage ditch, which is about a foot deep, that then flicked the wheel out sending the car into an uncontrollable power slide into the gate and trees opposite.

Now, one can argue that a safe speed is one where you can safely stop the car, but this is a 3 mile stretch of road between me and Kit that I could probably drive blind and to take a gamble between the ABS and a head-on, and he and I taking an evasive manoeuvre onto the verge and going by each other, which is a fairly common occurrence on narrow B roads, just not to this degree/severity, well I chose the verge and we went by each other. And besides it was totally instinctive, he just suddenly appeared, consuming the whole road. If only that ditch was a few more inches over...

When I came round the cabin was full of the smoke from the airbag charge, first thing I did was look around for my dog having a minor panic attack. I couldn't see her so I coughed and spluttered my way out of the car to see her sat down looking at me from about 5 metres away. By some miracle I think she was thrown out of the window which she loves to stick her head out of, and tumbled out somewhere. Luckily she only had a small scratch above her eye, and has no PTSD effects as she's still quite happy to travel by car.

Anyway, that was my biggest worry, when I had a look at the car, I thought "I wonder if the diff-lock will get me out of here??", after a few nanoseconds of deliberation I concluded that it most probably wouldn't. Luckily a passer by stopped to see what had happened and took me home where I called Kit....... Somehow the accident occurred in such a way as to cause as much damage as possible whilst allowing me to live and behold the results.

2 things: sorry I will be ignoring request for parts, and secondly always wear your seatbelt, as I'm sure you all do.

Thank you again everyone for your concerned responses....

Oh, as for insurance, when I took out the policy I wasn't that sure what the underwriters would accept as agreed value and was still coming round to the staggering rise in the worth of these things, so I set up the policy for £18k which they have agreed to pay me minus the salvage which I still have to sort out. I have sent a whinging email but can't imagine they'll say "Yes Mr Sutherland, we will happily give you more money than we agreed upon" As Kit has pointed out in another thread somewhere, it's probably best to get a good present market value policy for a car that is rising in value. Kicking myself for that one, there again I wasn't planning on crashing the damn thing.

Wear your seatbelts
                          RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                          RS2 - LHD on the road again
                          RS2 - reduced to component parts
                          RS2 Saloon replica
                          A4 1.8T
                          BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                          sigpic

Comment

OMG !!

I think you had a very luck escape ! Glad nobody was hurt.

Did the other driver even stop after the accident, I guess not.

Hope your insurance company are reasonable.

Paul

Comment

Just read through the post of the incident... Thank heavens you walked away from that with minor injuries, and the pooch is fine

Thanks for reiterating the wearing of seatbelts, confess I don't always belt up

I have to say, what does boil my piss is drivers taking up the whole road. Being London based, it seems the Highway Code is different for each person, but a relatively new phenomenon over the past 6months/year is how people heading towards you tend to be over the white line/middle of the road. I think the line is there for a reason...

It sounds like you just got real unlucky to be facing something head on, the ditch being a few inches nearer, and the insurance whammy. To repeat though, at least you get to tell the tale and walk the dog

Comment

Very sorry to read about this mate... You really had back luck indeed. What a shame for the car, but above all it's great to read you are totally fine... All the best with your mental recovery. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X