• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a bash today at all red rears,

Stock lights,

Rubbed down with 600 W+D,

Quite a few coats of candy red then some 2K clear,

Actually over the moon with them, so glad I didn't just buy tint spray or film.

Comment

Popped into see the car yesterday and saw some good progress, doors, trims and bumpers etc all in primer. Luckily there was nothing nasty hiding anywhere, windscreen aperture etc were all clean so Stuart's hoping to have it all in primer over the weekend.

Comment

Getting closer!! Shell, bumpers, doors, bonnet and trims done. Tailgate tomorrow and then the glass man is booked for Monday for the new screen. Really impressed with the quality so far, just a shame silver doesn't show up so well in pictures.

Comment

Paintings all done so spent yesterday with Stuart and started the rebuild then brought the car up the road tonight. Absolutely delighted with it, Stuart's a top bloke and he's done an amazing job.

Comment

Spent today pottering about, just taking my time to get through various bits and bobs. The inside stayed dry after last nights rain so that was a big relief, I'll give it week or so before starting on getting the interior back in.

Comment

Been busy pottering away with interior bits.

3 attempts at the headliner but finally nailed it,

As black plastics are rocking horse poo and I'm running out of money out came the plastic primer and acrylic black. I'm actually really pleased with them and it's actually a tougher finish than I'd thought, passed the finger nail scratch test no problem.

Finally figured out and wired in the mirrors so the movement, heat and indicators now work,

Tyres arrived for the OZs and RS2s, that was to be todays mission getting them fitted but realised I'd forgotten to run the sealant around the split on the OZs so did that instead. Then I thought I'll just get the RS2s done but the adaptor for the valve still hadn't turned up so total fail on the wheel front today.

It wasn't a total waste of a days holiday though as the guys at Pipe dynamics did their usual top job on the exhaust.

Comment

The headlining went back in without too much drama, used velcro this time to fix it to the roof instead of the horrendous glue Audi had used. I'd picked some avant grab handles that have individual lights in them a while ago so painted them up and made up a simple loom to get power to them and popped some LEDs in.

The car's booked in for a MOT tomorrow and luckily I had a delivery of carbon so cracked on and got the door panels on and seats back in etc, still got bits to finish off but priority was getting the bits it needed to get the through MOT(Hopefully).
                I think the interior is actually probably my favourite bit of the car, it's genuinely a nice place to be now, small simple changes that have made a night and day difference to it, to me anyway!!

When I stripped the car I had to destroy the sill covers to get them off but in typical fashion they are no longer available, not even Audi tradition has them. Due to the way they're attached in would be impossible to get useable 2nd hand ones, luckily a nice chap in Hungary makes reasonably priced carbon ones so they arrived but won't be fitted until the cars a bit closer to being finished.

[url=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/ajax1976/media/IMG_4827.jpg.html][/u

Comment

Well the old girl did me proud, not even an advisory!! If I'm honest I was a bit surprised, thought the emissions would throw a spanner in the works but she sailed it. I know it's only a MOT but I have to admit I do love getting a clean one, this ones the bet yet tho, over the moon!!

My Dads Bongo camper thingy didn't do quite so well, nothing major tho so we'll have that back on the road soonish.

Comment

Not really been doing much to the coupe recently, still got various trims etc to refit but struggling for time, will power and day light to crack on with it. I prefer it much more on the RCs so think the RS2s will be sold on and RCs refurbed properly. For the year or so I've had it it's never failed to start, that changed a fortnight ago. Nice Sunday afternoon so thought I'd take it out for a wee spin, it drove well and I was enjoying giving it the beans. Parked up for some pictures but would not restart, flattened the battery but still no go, even tried bumping and jumping it with no luck. Got a tow home and started messing about, fuel pump checked but no spark at all so I'm currently testing the various sensors that the FI system uses, hopefully it'll be something simple as I won't be spending a great deal of money on it.

Last picture before it let me down,

Even when the V6 was running I was never really blown away by it, always started well but seemed to lack performance. So to save throwing money and time at an engine I'm not a fan of and seeing as it's a project car I took a wee run to Selkirk to pick this up.

4.2 V8. Perfect spec for my conversion, non DBW and 340bhp unfortunately it's a dog, snapped timing belt. Long term I'm not sure what I'll do with it, depends on what I find when I strip it. Worse case there's still enough parts on it to cover my £100 investment, it'll give me something to tinker with in the garage and I can use it to fab up my engine mounts. This stage of the project will definitely be a slow burner, need to get the 2.8 back up and running, finish the rest of the car and keep my eyes peeled for the other bits I need to finish the conversion.

Comment

Another quiet few months with the coupe, not really achieved much.

Got it going but not 100% sure what was up with it, changed a couple of the easy sensors, no change then worked out I wasn't getting voltage at the sensors so the ECU wasn't getting power or it was actually the ECU that was goosed. Ended up changing the ignition switch as the back of it was badly worn and chewed up, still no start. Checked umpteen relays and fuses, cleaned the connections, replaced all the vacuum lines, cleaned the MAF and idle stepper motor but still no go. Was just about to buy another ECU but thought I'd try it one more time and guess what, it started!! Glad it's going and still continues to but a bit miffed at not actually finding the issue, got a horrible feeling it was something as stupid as a bad connection in the fusebox on a relay or fuse as they were pretty cruddy.

No surprise the £100 V8 wasn't in the greatest of shape but thought it might be salvageable. I pulled the cam covers and the cam lobes looked a bit worn, not really an expert but didn't look great to me.

Pulled the heads to find 6 bent exhaust valves, pistons had only minor marks in the carbon build up. With the costs of repairing it and buying the bits that were missing from it I decided to cut my losses with it. Moved on to plan B, strip it to a bare block leaving only the crank. I could then lift it manually and use it to mock up the new engine mounts, remote oil filter bits etc and check the clutch/flywheel fitment with out messing about with an engine crane. In the meantime I've picked up another complete AHC motor and been trying to source all the bits I'll need, luckily found a place down south that makes a proper flywheel to replace the automatic flexplate. Prior to that I was going to have to buy an 034 insert to convert the flexplate but it was pricey and only available from the states. The new flywheel also takes a B5 S4/RS4 clutch so that's a bonus too.

Now I'm actually starting to have serious doubts about doing it all myself, I know heehaw about standalone ECUs and it hurts my head trying to find out about them and deciding whats best for me and car. I can't get the car in garage, well not enough to let me work on it at the same time. My drives chipped so I'll need to get slabbing before I can think about using an engine crane etc. I'd like to actually use the car this year and I'm not really in a position to spend as much time on it as I'd like so it'll be a slow job. Nothing drastic but I'm now swaying in the direction of finding someone to do it for me, or most of it and I'll catch the minor bits that'll need done, it's really just a question of cost as usual. Time will tell, it's going to happen tho!!

My wheel issues have also got the better of me again, bought a set of 19" LMs. Had a wee trial fit, I think the blue actually looks ok but think I'll change the colour.

I also picked up a set of bargain S4 avus, dropped them off to Mikey and collected them yesterday, hopefully get the caps back on Monday.
                      Cars not been washed since last year but the silver certainly hides the dirt well,

Last edited by ajax1976; 31 March 2017, 22:53.

Comment

Finally got my **** into gear and got torn in about the conversion, well the easy bits!!

Flywheel, new mounts and RS4 clutch turned up,

Due to clearance issues I need to ditch the oil filter/cooler thing but it's also the alternator mount. I didn't fancy doing a new custom alternator bracket so went crazy with a hacksaw, turned out pretty good.

New belt, guides, tensioners, thermostat and pump fitted,

Stripped the old block to a point that I can now man handle it and use to mock up mounts etc.

Had to remove some material to fit over the subframe, the bell housing on my manual block is smaller so it's not required anyway but it's good to fine tune on this old block to get it just right without any pressure of screwing it up.

And today, bye, bye 2.8, ridiculously heavy lump compared to the V8,

The bay needs a bit cleaning up but couldn't resist popping the block in just for an idea how it will sit.

Comment

That's everything up to speed now!!!

Todays job was the engine mounts, other than photos of others that have done the same swap I didn't have much to go on. Started off with cardboard but it was useless so picked up some plastic sheet and spot welded with a soldering iron. Took me all day but I'm happy with them, a bit fine tuning to do but good progress and almost ready to transfer over to steel. Hopefully get over to Penicuik to use my Uncles plasma cutter then home to tack up then to my work to fully weld.

Comment

What a decent job buddy
                            Fantastic

Comment

Wow!
                              95' 2.8E Coupe quattro pearl blue
                              97' A3 1.8T Sport Auto Silver

95' Yamaha FZR600R

Comment

Wow! That's a incredible amount of work you've done there, it's all the more impressive that you've achieved most of the work on your drive way. Out of interest what other forum did you post your project on as I've never seen it before?

Comment

Working...
                                X