4.2 V8 Coupe Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over due an update,

Exhaust nearly done, just a bit of tweeking on the hangers to get it sitting a bit better. Not sure I would attempt exhaust work again, enjoyed the welding but hated everything else!!

As the exhausts done I could finally get coolant back in it so can actually run it for a decent amount of time, got the timing properly set. Above 1500 it revs for fun but it's struggling below and can't get an idle at all. Really struggling with the settings of the ecu, don't understand a lot of it and scared to mess about too much so think I'll make sure it's oil and water tight then get it down south for a proper set up and mapping.

Comment

• That sounds nice already, going to be epic i'd imagine when fully sorted. Would be great to see this car out on a tour at some point?

Exhaust looks great!
      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
      96 URS6 plus speck estate
      94 2.6 80 Avant
      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Thank you, I'm looking forward to the day I'm actually in a position to be able to consider taking her to shows and on tours!!

I feel like I'm reasonably close to finishing it but I'm not quite sure if that's actually the reality, still got a lot of smaller bits to button up but from experience they can take up as much time as the larger bits.

Comment

• Getting a nice stable idle is a fine balancing act for the ECU, and not easy to get right - you are best getting some basic fuelling dialed in then coming back to the idle afterwards.
          There is quite a bit to it and getting a nice OEM idle in all conditions is quite a bit of work, and a lot of tuners don't have the time to do it thoroughly on a from-scratch tune like yours so you might have to do much of the fine tuning yourself anyway

Was it Emerald you are using?

Sounds awesome though, bet you are excited to have it up & running
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yeah, Emerald. I’m seriously considering just taking the hit and getting the car down to them to finish up the tuning. I don’t have any understanding or experience so a bit reluctant to start messing with it myself. I don’t really have anywhere close to me with emerald experience and a 4wd RR so it’s going to cost a bit anyway to get it mapped so might as well pay a bit more and just take it the 400 odd miles down to them

Comment

• That sounds awesome!!! Am trying to organise a meet later in the year would love you to be there in your Coupe!!!

Comment

• That sounding like the Jaguar XK-F and that is one crisp sounding v8 you never tire of hearing. Great stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by ajax1976 View Post
                  Yeah, Emerald. I’m seriously considering just taking the hit and getting the car down to them to finish up the tuning. I don’t have any understanding or experience so a bit reluctant to start messing with it myself. I don’t really have anywhere close to me with emerald experience and a 4wd RR so it’s going to cost a bit anyway to get it mapped so might as well pay a bit more and just take it the 400 odd miles down to them
                  You might be lucky and get some showcase in practical performance car (if they still do walkers workshop I think it was)

Comment

• Thanks all, she does sound good but not made much more progress and starting to loose my patience with her now!!

Whilst checking the exhaust for leaks I noticed one of my cats starting to glow red, pulled the plugs and sure enough one is wet. Messed about with the plugs/coils and all checked out ok so did a resistance check on the injectors, sure enough ones gone open circuit.

I'm thinking no big deal I've got a spare set in the garage, nope they're for an ABZ, different part number and after a bit research they're 180cc and not 200cc. I'll just buy a new one, nope, NLA from Audi but Tradition has them, expensive but needs must, nope it won't let me pay for it. I know, I've had a full set saved on my Ebay watch list for months, nope they've actually sold. Googled it to death and still can't find one, 2nd hand or new.

Now trying to work out if I can upgrade(?) to a Siemens or Bosch equivalent, know practically nothing about injectors so trying to get my head around the various specs to see if I can get something similar. On the bright side I've finally managed to find a spreadsheet of Audi injectors, just a shame the dimensions and spray angle are about the only things I actually understand, the rest means nothing to me!!

Knew I was tempting fate thinking about insurance for it, may be next month :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by ajax1976
                      Thanks all, she does sound good but not made much more progress and starting to loose my patience with her now!!

Whilst checking the exhaust for leaks I noticed one of my cats starting to glow red, pulled the plugs and sure enough one is wet. Messed about with the plugs/coils and all checked out ok so did a resistance check on the injectors, sure enough ones gone open circuit.

I'm thinking no big deal I've got a spare set in the garage, nope they're for an ABZ, different part number and after a bit research they're 180cc and not 200cc. I'll just buy a new one, nope, NLA from Audi but Tradition has them, expensive but needs must, nope it won't let me pay for it. I know, I've had a full set saved on my Ebay watch list for months, nope they've actually sold. Googled it to death and still can't find one, 2nd hand or new.

Now trying to work out if I can upgrade(?) to a Siemens or Bosch equivalent, know practically nothing about injectors so trying to get my head around the various specs to see if I can get something similar. On the bright side I've finally managed to find a spreadsheet of Audi injectors, just a shame the dimensions and spray angle are about the only things I actually understand, the rest means nothing to me!!

Knew I was tempting fate thinking about insurance for it, may be next month :-(
                      I am sure the Emerald guys can advise where to change the fuel injector constants in their map for a bigger set of injectors that you can source more easily.

Maybe they can even recommend some alternatives for which they have reliable latency data for ?

Make sure to get ones with correct impedance for Emerald ECU if you go shopping online.

Oh and very nice project by the way - something about a V8 quattro burble.
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• What about a wanted ad on some of the forums? someones bound to have one, they will never use......
                        Here being No.1 option or maybe PM "bluequattro" on here, he's broke a few Audis I believe

Comment

• At Mance Etheridge's suggestion, I used these folks injector cleaning/matching services. Fast, effective and not too expensive. They can perhaps most likely repair/replace what you need. Russ is gone now but the firm he built survives:

http://www.rcfuelinjection.com/History

Comment

• I agree, get the set inspected / cleaned. They do stick when they've been sitting for a while, even new injectors do this sometimes.
                            I have used these guys and the service was very good. Refreshed, cleaned & tested & supplied with flow data.

http://www.injectortune.co.uk/

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks all for the advice!!

I assumed as it was open circuit it probably wouldn’t be repairable hence the searching for one, didn’t realise cleaning it could solve my issues.
                              I’ve just emailed your guys Error so hopefully they’ll be able to help, save me a lot of time and money if the can:-)

Comment

• Injectortune can't do anything with it unfortunately but I've managed to find another one in Norway, once it's arrived I'll get the set down to them to be cleaned properly and tested.

Comment

Working...
                                X