• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veeeeery tempting
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Cool... My meeting in Chipping should finish early, so I'll nip round about lunchtime and have a belt up and down the M40 and see if I can break the sound barrier
      1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
      1987 CQ85RS
      1994 S2 Avant- Gone
      1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
      Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
      Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

• Originally posted by raymor View Post
        Cool... My meeting in Chipping should finish early, so I'll nip round about lunchtime and have a belt up and down the M40 and see if I can break the sound barrier

But officer, I was only testing the car's capabilities on a private test track...
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
          I would second that. I have seen 150mph by tacho and the car felt steady as a rock, I would be very surprised if that changed over the next 10 -20 mph, but then aerodynamics are funny things and I guess the nose could go light as you get faster?

Cheers,

Steve
          Again officer, I was on a private test track

Aero is the big pain in one's bottom for high-speed car design - look at the amount of aero trickery Audi had to come up with to get the Veyron to work at those >200mph speeds.

I would guess yes the nose would get much lighter at those speeds - the Coupe at least has that big wing on the back which must cause some positive aero at high speed, even if it is a very inefficient design. There is no deliberate under-car aero in the S2 either.

Comment

• I've only done 163mph GPS in mine, and that felt like enough. It didn't feel that good to me, although my tracking was a little out at the time.
            SS

Comment

• Originally posted by raymor View Post
              Cool... My meeting in Chipping should finish early, so I'll nip round about lunchtime and have a belt up and down the M40 and see if I can break the sound barrier

Yep, thing is, when I did pop round - there was a shed load of officers + 'safety' camera's round the corner.... just as well I'm the sort of S2 driver who can get 371miles out a tankful
              1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
              1987 CQ85RS
              1994 S2 Avant- Gone
              1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
              Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
              Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug_RS2 View Post
                there is a big difference between 170 and 202 on gps!!

If anyone fancies a top speed run I will let you try in the S2

Sod 202mph. If anyone says that feels ok then they are mad!
                The difference between 150 and 100 is huge, imagine the same jump to 200!
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

• Driving at 150+ is fine..... just when you want to stop you seem to run out of road lol
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by audiman View Post
                    Sod 202mph. If anyone says that feels ok then they are mad!
                    The difference between 150 and 100 is huge, imagine the same jump to 200!
                    Spot on Tom.

I'm reminded again (sorry to keep banging on about the Veyron, but it's worth repeating) of the Veyron Top Speed feature on Top Gear recently. Clarkson was harping on about how pretty much every car ever made so far feels and sounds like a bag of spanners that's about to split in the ~200mph bracket because of the aero battering they get. They then went on to say said that the only car that felt easonable at that speed was the Veyron because of all the aero work, and the fact that it was engineered to go smoothly at 252mph...

Comment

• Following on from the RR meet the original build thread for Audimans / Doug_RS2 S2

Comment

• Doug, is the engine still as it was built back in 2007 i.e. it's not been refreshed since? If so how many miles are on it?
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• AFAIK it's not the same as in they went from solid lifters and high lift cams back to hydro lifters and stock cams to get drive-ability back into the car, Audiman can confirm

Comment

• ah, more people are downgrading than. Its not just me...!

Comment

• as jamo said - the lag and lack of off boost power of the super low compression was too much. I don;t like the sound of solid lifters.

You have to go a step too far to appreciate the previous level of power/lag

the car ran too much boost on the dyno - 34psi - it is supposed to do 30psi - it still made the same power but on a recent top speed event at RAF Marham I only did 178mph - but it would get upto 160 really quick then go flat - probably because it went into the knock map from running too much boost. I did do 28 top speed runs - I got my monies worth. It was the most fun I have had at a top speed event - for just getting the thing launched and keeping it straight in lower gears. I took all the b5/b7 guys out and they couldn't stop laughing. The next day driving into the workshop the rear diff exploded - glad i didn't do that on the pristine active runway.
                              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

• i know. I too went a bit too far and now going backwards. Didnt like the idea of going 2.5 due to the hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X