No announcement yet.

S2 complete rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed DO88 everywhere, it is quite okay. Think Roose motorsport is a bit better or maybe samco, but some say the samcos have bad fitment on s2s so not sure..
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      My car was a 3B, I did the pin swap on the loom and added the extra wires for 5 high output coils. This basically converts the loom to the same as the later ABY 5 coil setup.
      The Maxxecu is then plug and play with the supplied adapter. I’m still running Audi trigger using the hall sensor in the dizzy body with a short cover on it and the flywheel sensor. You can convert to ABY style hall sensor with trigger wheel on the cam or fit a more up to date and more reliable (?) 60-2 trigger wheel to the crankshaft.
      My car runs around 450 HP 610Nm on a GT3071 and is nice and torquey
      For simplicity, would this kit below work along with a MaxxEcu RACE?

https://www.jemo-motorsport.de/epage...ts/Zuendung-3B

and 5x

https://www.jemo-motorsport.de/epage...cts/ERA-880065

Comment

Looks like it!
        Google translate
        description
        Conversion kit from distributor ignition to single ignition
        including all necessary cables
        pre-assembled
        Installation instructions
        Suitable for 20V 3B engines!
        Not worth it if you’re replacing the whole loom though.
        Unless you intend to convert to 5 coils and run the car for a while before going for big power.
        For the power you said you want to make you’ll need inlet and exhaust manifolds, big IC, big turbo, DP and exhaust. Engine refresh. Lower compression pistons or thicker head gasket.
        You need to find out what bearings are in the motor and what head gasket. You need the RS2 type mains and big end shells and the metal head gasket, the 3B had a paper one.
        It’s a long way from a 3B to 700hp
        Last edited by newsh; 12 August 2021, 08:34.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like it!

Not worth it if you’re replacing the whole loom though.
          Unless you intend to convert to 5 coils and run the car for a while before going for big power.
          For the power you said you want to make you’ll need inlet and exhaust manifolds, big IC, big turbo, DP and exhaust. Engine refresh. Lower compression pistons or thicker head gasket.
          You need to find out what bearings are in the motor and what head gasket. You need the RS2 type mains and big end shells and the metal head gasket, the 3B had a paper one.
          It’s a long way from a 3B to 700hp
          The mission right now is to get everything running, and erase and fix any major issues. Aswell as carrying out some small fixes to the engine, i.e the ignition, hoses, catch can etc. In general proofing it for survival....
          I’m also planning on acquiring all the exterior parts and plan out the interior before tackling the ”power” part of the engine.

Unfortunately some parts of this car looks like utter garbage, and will need some major love and affection. Here comes the pictures as promised
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 17 photos.

Comment

Newsh pretty much said it. Compression ratio depends on the fuel you are running. If E85 is available in Sweden, I would consider running stock compression or even a little higher (stock advertised comp is 9.3:1 but I think it actually measures a little lower at 8.8:1).

Comment

Also based on your pictures you have 7A cam cover. I think it needs a little machining to accept COP-style coilpacks. Just something to remember if you are planning the coil conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Antsa View Post
                Also based on your pictures you have 7A cam cover. I think it needs a little machining to accept COP-style coilpacks. Just something to remember if you are planning the coil conversion
                No 7A cam cover here unless i misunderstood something, but i do miss the ”20V Turbo” plate which makes them look similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Palin View Post

No 7A cam cover here unless i misunderstood something, but i do miss the ”20V Turbo” plate which makes them look similar.
                  You are absolutely right, it is a 3B cover now that I looked closely

Comment

Did some peeking around today, looking at how to redo the whole catch can thing!

The person who installed it previously, installed it between the flow from cam cover and the pressure regulating valve (as shown in the sheet below). I don’t know what function he thought it would fill

Does anyone with experience on the 3B engine have any tips as to how i should redo it?

Is it recommended to go with return to sump, or simply just having it breathe/flow out to wheel well, and emptying the gunk every so often?
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The car is back together now after installing all the new hoses, and removing the old ****** catch tank solution. I’ve decided to run it for a couple weeks to try and catch some issues before it goes down in parts.
                      The boost is now steady like a rock and no more leaking from the PCV.

I have noticed that i have terrible misfires on 3rd and 4th on WOT. Sometimes 2nd aswell, but not as often. Right now i have no idea what this could be or what i should attribute it to.

on another note, i’ve gotten a lead on a VERY exciting project that will most likely put this one on the shelf for the foreseeable future if it happens.

Comment

If the misfire is like a complete cut out, this can be caused by a poor connection at the MAF, it can look good but it’s not!
                        Try giving it a clean with some good switch cleaner and a good old wiggle and plug-unplug a few times and see if it sorts the problem. If it cures it then you need to pop the pins out of the MAF connector one by one and either replace them with new ones or clean between the mating faces of the pin with very fine wet and dry soaked in switch cleaner.
                        Otherwise if it’s not the MAF connector it can be due to a boost leak that only happens at WOT. You’ll need to do a proper boost leak test by pressurising the whole intake system from a bung with a tyre valve in the MAF hose. If you’re still using the rubber PCV hoses they may burst so test them gently, they only need to deal with vacuum, then disconnect the PCV hose from the MAF hose and plug the hole before pressurising to 1Bar.
                        Lots of info on here on how to do it.
                        Other causes of bad misfire on a 3B will be plug leads breaking down, distributer slightly out of time.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

If the misfire is like a complete cut out, this can be caused by a poor connection at the MAF, it can look good but it’s not!
                          Try giving it a clean with some good switch cleaner and a good old wiggle and plug-unplug a few times and see if it sorts the problem. If it cures it then you need to pop the pins out of the MAF connector one by one and either replace them with new ones or clean between the mating faces of the pin with very fine wet and dry soaked in switch cleaner.
                          Otherwise if it’s not the MAF connector it can be due to a boost leak that only happens at WOT. You’ll need to do a proper boost leak test by pressurising the whole intake system from a bung with a tyre valve in the MAF hose. If you’re still using the rubber PCV hoses they may burst so test them gently, they only need to deal with vacuum, then disconnect the PCV hose from the MAF hose and plug the hole before pressurising to 1Bar.
                          Lots of info on here on how to do it.
                          Other causes of bad misfire on a 3B will be plug leads breaking down, distributer slightly out of time.
                          Thanks for the advice! Will definitely try the above.

The misfires are a series of very quick 5-6 losses of power, occurring during 1-2 seconds. After that it continues like it should on that gear.

when i dissasembled the intake system after i bought the car i also noticed the MAF was mounted the wrong way, but now it’s the right way....

Comment

Have you got the right distributor rotor in the car? I can’t remember if we already had this conversation but it’s really important on the 3B that you have the correct rotor and the timing is spot on.

When it misfired, was there smoke from the exhaust?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Have you got the right distributor rotor in the car? I can’t remember if we already had this conversation but it’s really important on the 3B that you have the correct rotor and the timing is spot on.

Unsure about the distributor part.

Doesn't seem to throw any smoke when it misfires, not a noticeable increase anyways.

---

Either way, a little general update, seems like the car is going down in parts sooner than i thought. I'll be looking to sell the majority of the 3B engine along with the gearbox, the seats, belts, intercooler, rad, fuel tank, turbo etc will all be for sale as well. Will do a separate thread about this.

I've found an already built but never started engine, along with a 01E 5-speed gearbox. Apparently it's a 3B block, with AAN cam cover with reverse IM, 7A cams, uprated rods and bolts, new gaskets all round and metal head gasket.

I'm going to pick those up this weekend. Started building a parts list, i'll list it here and if you have any suggestions or advice, please do tell!

Aiming for a street-able 550-600hp, running on E70-E85. I'm also future-proofing for bigger numbers, hence some of the choices i've made below.

MaxxEcu Race
                              60l Fuel cell w/ built in catch tank
                              2x E85 converted external Bosch 044 pumps
                              2x 100 micron fuel filters before pumps
                              2x full flow check valves
                              Fuel log to combine the two pumps flow
                              10 micron filter after pumps
                              New fuel pressure regulator
                              Nuke fuelrail
                              Nuke vacuum station
                              GFB, DV+ TMS DIVERTER VALVE
                              Stainless EM with T3/T4 turbo flange, 44m Tial WG and 5x EGT NPT
                              Precision 5862 or GTX3071R
                              Tons of AN fittings
                              A **** ton of PTFE Nylon hose
                              Injectors??? 550-600hp running on E85, not sure how big ones i need ( advice appreciated )
                              Uprated coils and plugs, what plugs are recommended for these applications?
                              Bigger intercooler
                              Bigger rad
                              Bigger oil cooler than installed today

that's what i can remember off the top of my head

Attached Files

Comment

Seems that i fixed this issue, i replaced the plugs and THOROUGHLY cleaned the pins on the MAF. That did the trick!

Now for a different question, i've since removed the engine from the car, and started shopping parts for installing the new one. Upon doing this i realised that my loom is more rotten than i thought, hence i'm now on the hunt for someone to make me a custom one, or a different solution. If anyone got any ideas about this, please hit me up!

Comment

Working...
                                X