S2 complete rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 complete rebuild

Hey! I’m purchasing a -91 Audi S2 in a couple of days, and have some grand plans in regards to restoring and building it out. I’m aiming for a somewhat fully stock exterior, but interior is going to be gutted with fullcage, sparco details, recaro seats etc. Will also be reshaping the entire dash and midconsole with alcantara and CF details throughout.

Engine wise i’m aiming for 600-700hp, as reliable as can be. Noise is no issue as i’m planning an internal comm system with hearing protectors. At the moment the car is relatively untouched engine-wise, so it will obviously need quite some modifications to achive my intended power-levels. This is where i need some advice in regards to choosing the right parts and building it right. The car is intended to be used on the street, aswell as the occasional drag against unsuspecting BMW M5’s and Nissan GTR’s

This is my first ”real” build on an older car, where major engine mods will likely be required, but i fell in love with this glorious 5cyl engine and just need to do it.

Any advice and directions are appreciated! The car will be picked up for $14k, and i’m thinking of spending somewhere in the neighbourhood of $20-40k on it.
    I’ll be making a thread on here and update with pictures and progress as we go??

Sounds like you have a good idea on that you want out the car. Look forward to your updates.

Comment

Comment

Remember to get bigger brakes and upgrade suspension etc
        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
          Remember to get bigger brakes and upgrade suspension etc
          Thank you for the warm welcomes!

ofc the brakes will be bigger and the suspension is getting an overhaul aswell.

right now i’m scratching my head about the spark hop that i’ve seen a lot of people go on about, not something that i anticipated. that’s down to poor research on my end.

has there been any final conclusions on the best way to fix the issue, or reduce the chance of it happening? I’ve seen a lot of ghetto solutions, but no definite fixes.

Comment

Either ditch the distributor and go 5 coils or get something like a MSD unit with better coil + correct Bosch rotor tip

Comment

Originally posted by Palin View Post

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

ofc the brakes will be bigger and the suspension is getting an overhaul aswell.

right now i’m scratching my head about the spark hop that i’ve seen a lot of people go on about, not something that i anticipated. that’s down to poor research on my end.

has there been any final conclusions on the best way to fix the issue, or reduce the chance of it happening? I’ve seen a lot of ghetto solutions, but no definite fixes.
              Spark hop issue is only on the 3B engines that have distributors. I take it you are going to use standalone ECU, based on your wanted power levels? With standalone you can ditch the distributor and go COP style coilpacks and the spark hop issue is solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Antsa View Post

Spark hop issue is only on the 3B engines that have distributors. I take it you are going to use standalone ECU, based on your wanted power levels? With standalone you can ditch the distributor and go COP style coilpacks and the spark hop issue is solved.
                That’s exactly what i have!

And yeah, i’m definitely going for a different ECU. Do you have any recommendations on that front? I’ve been eyeing MaxxEcu

Comment

Either ditch the distributor and go 5 coils or get something like a MSD unit with better coil + correct Bosch rotor tip
                  i’ll likely be looking to ditch the distributor, i just don’t know how much work it’ll be to go down that route. Is there any good threads on this?

Need to do more research on this subject!

Comment

My car was a 3B, I did the pin swap on the loom and added the extra wires for 5 high output coils. This basically converts the loom to the same as the later ABY 5 coil setup.
                    The Maxxecu is then plug and play with the supplied adapter. I’m still running Audi trigger using the hall sensor in the dizzy body with a short cover on it and the flywheel sensor. You can convert to ABY style hall sensor with trigger wheel on the cam or fit a more up to date and more reliable (?) 60-2 trigger wheel to the crankshaft.
                    My car runs around 450 HP 610Nm on a GT3071 and is nice and torquey

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

What he said ​​​​​​

Would also take a look at the engine wiring harness/loom just to check that its not crispy rotten cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Palin View Post

That’s exactly what i have!

And yeah, i’m definitely going for a different ECU. Do you have any recommendations on that front? I’ve been eyeing MaxxEcu
                        MaxxEcu does have a plugin adapter for S2, so it would be an easy choise. Of course there are a lot of different ecu brands to choose from. As newsh pointed out, there is a little work involved before the MaxxEcu PnP harness will work with 3B.

Comment

But on your budget maybe a custom loom would be a good idea

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                            My car was a 3B, I did the pin swap on the loom and added the extra wires for 5 high output coils. This basically converts the loom to the same as the later ABY 5 coil setup.
                            The Maxxecu is then plug and play with the supplied adapter. I’m still running Audi trigger using the hall sensor in the dizzy body with a short cover on it and the flywheel sensor. You can convert to ABY style hall sensor with trigger wheel on the cam or fit a more up to date and more reliable (?) 60-2 trigger wheel to the crankshaft.
                            My car runs around 450 HP 610Nm on a GT3071 and is nice and torquey
                            Interesting! Thanks for this, i might have some follow-up questions but we'll get there soon enough.

I'm still learning a lot, and as i said this is my first real project where a major overhaul of the entire car will be required. I'm trying to consume as much information as i can about these engines and the car in it's whole. It's a lot to chew

Comment

What he said ​​​​​​

Would also take a look at the engine wiring harness/loom just to check that its not crispy rotten cables.
                              Definitely doing this, i reckon i will need a new loom, as this car has been abused back and forth over the years for different purposes.

I'll update later on with some photos of the general shape of it, which is pretty bad....

For now, i have picked up the car, took it for a couple testdrives and trying to identify issues and problems with it. I almost instantly found a huge boost leak originating from one of the intercooler hoses, so i went ahead and ordered a whole new set of silicon hoses from do88. No point in kicking that issue down the road and replacing the as they go, rather just get it all over with instantly. Went with the Inlet hose, pressure hoses and the radiator hoses for a grand total of 690$

I've removed the front of the car, and i'm taking a general peek inside the engine bay to get a better idea of what's going on. The entirety of the intake system is more or less filled with oil and small pieces of dirt... Not good! I've also removed the intercooler with the intention of flushing it clean of all the oil that is likely trapped in there.

The turbo has been having a field day chopping dirt, and that most definitely shows. Furthermore there's a catch can (wrongly) fitted, with only two hoses on (no ventilation). I'll have to deal with that issue immediately as well!

Here's some pics of where we're at atm!
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X