No announcement yet.

My Coupe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers Steve. I’m aiming for a good quality end result.

Made a start on the back end. Everything cleaned and soaked in penetrating oil.
    Most of the bolts have been sprayed in under seal which is messy but has reduced the rust.
    It’s going to be fun dropping the struts as the car is up on the lift and I can’t drop it as the gearbox is being held up by a ladder. I did intend to do the front first, then rear. I will have to climb into the boot somehow and see if I can get the strut top bolts undone.

The dif oil drain isn’t looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Strut top bolts means dismantling the tweeting shelf/parcel shelf supports either side, or no access, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There is a screw hidden behind the seat belt that holds it in place..... took me a while to find that one!

That drain plug won't come out.... just weld a big (M16?) bolt in there once on the bench and it should come out easily.

I have a refurbed difflock actuator guard I'd be willing to sell -looks like you need one... I made one out of 0.9mm stainless for my car so no longer needed, see my thread.

Comment

• Cheers.
        I will probably leave the rear struts then and do them after the front is back together. Or maybe fit a spare front subframe I have. Will think about it.
        BTDT with the welded bolt in the dif. Worked very well last time.
        Put the guard to one side for me then please. Thanks again. Advice always appreciated.

Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Amazed you still have the brake shields!

Comment

• As I said in another thread you rock man, all that work!

I´ve read all your updates everyday and love the pictures... you do have a rust problem in your country, my car doesn´t have a spec of rust I feel lucky I live in a sunny country because I couldn´t tackle a job like that as you do! Respect!

Comment

• Originally posted by psiconauta911 View Post
              As I said in another thread you rock man, all that work!

I´ve read all your updates everyday and love the pictures... you do have a rust problem in your country, my car doesn´t have a spec of rust I feel lucky I live in a sunny country because I couldn´t tackle a job like that as you do! Respect!
              Salt on the UK roads most winters here in the south, not to mention cars that have spent time in Scotland!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• Called over to see my tractor mechanic friend who has a very useful press.
                Made light work of pressing out the wheel bearing’s.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Hi, Dave
                  I seen you carrying project same as me ?
                  I have grid on the road even temp. is +3°C or little bit below ?
                  To better protect subframes from corrosion, I used Hammerite, not sure how much help, but everything was brushed by wire brush or angle grinder. This help a lot, I'll see next year...

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Note 8 Pro przy użyciu Tapatalka

Comment

• I don't rate Hammerite. It's not as good as it was years ago. I like to use epoxy these days. The products by Bilt Hamber and Rust busters are very good and so is Novol Protect which I believe is made in Poland? I think it's cheaper there too!
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• And got the prop shaft off. The centre joint is sagging and I will need a new one. Haven’t properly inspected the other joints yet.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Well, I was register little bit too late ?
                        And this time I had no time to check what is best for protection. May I make mistake, I don't know, good for this year, better hammerite then nothing, but if I doing job, I should think what I do to make this once, not come back again and strip car and clean this sh***t to make protection again ?
                        What can I say, I leave in house where we don't have garage, I converted small front garden into driveway and I working with my cars on it, not good place but better this then on the street, don't have all necessary tools, all the time it's something missing but I was not planned to strip and fix cars,, that why I do not collected my tools.
                        I hope I find right place here so I'll be learning from you guys and my projects will be better in the future due to... I love this, my wife hate this but I love classics cars and I never stop ?

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Note 8 Pro przy użyciu Tapatalka

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                          And got the prop shaft off. The centre joint is sagging and I will need a new one. Haven’t properly inspected the other joints yet.
                          How is the backend looking any further problems, or is it much like the front?

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post

How is the backend looking any further problems, or is it much like the front?
                            Not too bad. Arches are rust free. Rear tie rods both came off good and after a clean up will be good to go back on. I have ordered new ARB drop links and bushes etc. Rear subframe has surface rust but not too bad. Rear diff has been leaking so I will need to investigate. Fuel filter is hanging as all the rubber mounts have broken. All the fuel lines need replacing and fuel pump mount needs a clean up. Rear bumper mounts are both broken. All normal stuff really.
                            I can't see any major rust underneath which is always a bonus.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Has anyone found replacement dust covers that fit front ball joints? I can't find anything big enough.
                              Also for the rear ball joints?
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Dave,

I was trawling t’interweb a few days back looking for rear tiebar boot covers and came across this site which had a good selection
                                https://bulsell.com/

I decided not to bother with tiebar boot covers in the end though as they’ve cleaned up well and seem in good order.

Comment

Working...
                                X