No announcement yet.

20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as i can remember when Kit and I did my cambelt, the washer fits inside the sprocket and goes between the crank nose and the large pulley?
    The whole assembly i find weird. The sprocket fits over the O/D of the crank nose. The main belt pulley is mounted with the crank bolt to the crank (not he sprocket) and its the four cap heads that hold the sprocket onto the main pulley. Just seems a little backwards to me as the main crank bolt doesn't directly hold the sprocket...
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

• I've encountered the diamond washer a couple of times, it goes on the end of the crank after installing the toothed cam belt pulley and locates between the nose of the crank and back of the vibration damper/bottom pulley.

Did you find your toothed pulley to be a slightly tight fit on the crank Alex? I've got the same one on my engine, I had to carefully smooth the back edge of the hole in the center with Emery cloth before I could get it on the crank without force. Not a negative criticism in the slightest by the way Chef, I'd much rather have to do that than it be loose, the quality of the item is excellent.

Edit, you beat me too it James, I agree it is an odd set up, why the crank bolt has to be that insanely tight is a mystery too me. I gave up with mine at 200 NM + approx 130 degree's.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Yeah i think we tightened mine a similar amount. Do you remember how loose my bolt was when we removed it? That combined with a sheared woodruff, it was a ticking time bomb...

Comment

• That makes more sense to me now, the washer is sandwiched between the crank nose and the outer pulley. What I can't understand is why people have had issues with the belt walking, unless they didn't have the sprocket on correctly. Anyhow mine fits perfectly
          Kit yes I had to file a little chamfer the leading edge of the sprocket edge as it was hanging up a bit trying to get it on. It went on fine with a couple of thumps with the heel of my hand - its a really solid fit so dead pleased with it
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• On the Diamond washer issue, I searched all over to find if it was necessary for my CQ 7A ...I concluded that it didn't, and this article by Mr TecHnical himself convinced me....all to do with the length of the damper snout apparently...so I didn;t use one and all OK....except that I now want one of Chef's pulleys ! Any left ?

Other Q i had was whether or not to oil the hi torq centre bolt ....I founf conflicting theories : max torque cant be achieved on a dry torqued bolt, versus stretch bolts need lube or may snap etc etc....any ideas ? little dusting of graphite maybe ?

Fabulous motor anyhow Alex , I love this thread and have re-read it loads of times now

Comment

• sorry forgot link

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/threads/14330.phtml

Comment

• Originally posted by re2500 View Post
                Yeah i think we tightened mine a similar amount. Do you remember how loose my bolt was when we removed it? That combined with a sheared woodruff, it was a ticking time bomb...
                Yep, I can clearly remember how loose the crank bolt was, can't have been any tighter than 180 NM top's, as you say combined with the sheared key it was very fortunate there hadn't been a major problem.

We nearly got your's the full 180 mate, over 150 anyway.

Comment

• It is difficult getting the crank bolt tight enough. When I do mine I normally use a truck torque wrench. Washer is definitely must though
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• I got a torque wrench if you need mate
                    Chef

Comment

• A torque wrench that reads up to 450 NM would be greatly preferable to the 200 NM + 180 degree method which I think maybe a little on the tight side. I have a torque wrench that reads accurately up to 380 NM, my crank bolt was this tight by approx 100 degrees on top of the 200 NM, can't see it needing another 80 degrees to get the remaining 70 NM.

Also I weigh spot on 80 kg's (give or take 500 g's), by my reckoning this is 400 NM at 0.5 meters which conveniently is the effective length of one of my breaker bars, me bouncing on the end of the bar with all my weight got it to approx 120 degrees so I tweaked it a touch further and called it quits.

Comment

• It's a 1000nm wrench
                        Chef

Comment

• Bloody hell mate, are you racing trucks now?
                          Thanks for the offer dude, I can borrow one from work
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• If you want a laugh use one of those big torque wrenches to take the crank nut off, i had one wound up to 650lb/ft before it broke lose
                            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                              650lb/ft

Comment

• Haha, i think mine was 65! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X