No announcement yet.

Project "Sooty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All joking aside about OCD - I'm just jealous that other folk can find the time for such an outlet of energy. That is sound advice there from David on the front brakes... Sure the TDi is no speed merchant but it would be good use of discarded G60 calipers from an S2 to give it some vented discs that have fundamentally better performance than the normal items.

I don't like those rims much either... Same suggestion as David on searching out a timely set of Cabrio alloys on the 4x108 setup.

NOt sure I could be ****d to lower a TDi unless the suspenders need renewing. You could fit a stiffer ARB at the front to reduce body roll. AT the rear I dunno what options you have - I don't do 2WD

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If you want a couple of fog light switches and some blanks drop me a pm as I have some from other car's i've stripped.

Car's looking good, is it possible to fit the 3x gauges in the center console?

Comment

looking good .. a couple of my mates are like this buy a car run it into the ground let it just fall apart an moan about it..
        i will show them this thread and give them some polish well done jason

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
          Sure the TDi is no speed merchant

Ha ha, you sure? humberside constabulary dont think so, after running a modded S2 for over 4 years, 2 months with an 80tdi and i get banned for 2 months. They aren't that slow. (well they will do 98 anyway i have that in writing)

Comment

Good idea

Consider fitting the three gauges, will also tell you when the engine's warm so as you will know if it should be supplying heat for the heater as per a similar thread on here recently.

After a while when you get to know the habits of the three gauges, you'll tend to notice if anything is wrong / starting to go wrong.

Obviously some of us need bigger rear view mirrors, which I've fitted to all of my fleet.

Joking aside, hard luck.

@ Jas, wish I had the time to do what you're doing, with my 2.0L 16v Avant.

Keep up the good work on the car and the thread.

Kind regards.

Comment

Very impressive results so far...... I will need to get somethign along the same lines I reckon soon, but will probably leave it looking a mess and weld a couple of railway sleeps front and back.... Belgian parking protocol....
              R E S P E C T.....!
              Chris
              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

When you have finished getting it sorted, you will be bored with it, so can I have it please ?

great job
                Alastair
                RS2

Comment

looking great Jas, can't believe the paint transformation!

Did you just have the bumper and wing painted in the factory colour code? Has the restoration work on the rest of the body been enough to match up to the new paint?

I've got a similar scenario with my CQ, rusty pattern wings being replaced and an S2 bumper to go on, and Fatty is going to have a crack at restoring the rest of the faded paint at some point
                  Was unsure if getting new bits painted up and then fitted like you have would be a perfect match once the paint has been treated to some OCD love
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Wow, loads of replies and lots of suggestions Thanks

First off, brakes. They were completely overhauled by Jason @ the Lion garage.
                    I'm surprised at them to be honest. Slightest touch of the pedal and they bite like hell. As the car isn't ever going to be used in anger so to speak, I'm sure they'll be fine. I had a spare set of G60's from the S2, but I helped a mate out ages ago with a carrier off them, then some toe rag took them when my shed got looted.
                    Really are good brakes, probably got a bit more feel to them than the 996's on the S2
                    although I'm sure they'd fade away to nothing if pushed really hard.

Martin is right though (and Ben too, from reading about his dag dag anticts on track at ADI last year) the little 80 TDi ain't no agricultural tractor. It's got a surprising amount of torque as I've found from pulling away sharpish from junctions and roundabouts, even in the dry. Wheelspin!! Not had any of that for years

I have a set of aux gauges in the spares bin, along with the ashtray to complete the conversion. I will be looking at fitting them in the not to distant future, along with sourcing a front and rear centre console "without" holes all over them

I will lower is slightly later this year. Nothing drastic, no slammed onto the floor look though. Something subtle so the wheels (whichever versions end up on there) look to fill the arches a bit better.
                    I have thought about plugging and redrilling a 5x112 pattern on the 4x108 hubs. Doing that job properly ain't a concern, I have access to some cool gear at work, but it may not be possible.
                    Doing a 5x112 hub swap is the very last thing I'll look at, it's not as straight forward as buying S2 front hubs and 100/A6 rears and fitting them. I need S2/V6 stub axles or complete struts plus V6 driveshafts for the front.
                    The converters are looking to be the easiest way. but they'd have to be "at least" 20mm thick to be safe, that then takes a big chunk of offset away and may cause touching of the bodywork. Whichever way, it's not going to be simple and I'm not going to break the bank doing it.

If the foglight plug and associated wiring isn't behind the dash, then my mate Andy has a switch and the loom that goes to the fusebox. The wiring from the connectors at the foglights is already and waiting at the fusebox. Should be simple enough. I still need
                    a full width switch panel and some blanks though. (Pete? will PM you mate, thanks.)

Ben? if you are reading this, my chassis number is 8CzPa233066.
                    I think from looking at the FA it's a later one, but you know this stuff better than anyone

This weekend will hopefully see the trim, door handles and mirrors colour coded, along with rubbing the whole boot down (has been lacquered in the past which is now peeling off )
                    I have a garage, but you can't swing a cat in it and looks like I'm going to have to steal some space at my dads to do this. Just can't rely on the weather for an outside job.

@ Alastair, I'll swap you it for the RS2 :mischeif:

Jas..
                    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      looking great Jas, can't believe the paint transformation!

Did you just have the bumper and wing painted in the factory colour code? Has the restoration work on the rest of the body been enough to match up to the new paint?

I've got a similar scenario with my CQ, rusty pattern wings being replaced and an S2 bumper to go on, and Fatty is going to have a crack at restoring the rest of the faded paint at some point
                      Was unsure if getting new bits painted up and then fitted like you have would be a perfect match once the paint has been treated to some OCD love
                      Opps, you nipped a post in there while I was writing the other.

I gave the painter my fuel filler hatch for him to colour match if needed. It turned out he didn't need to. The paint he used was good old two-pack and was a perfect match to the existing. (laser red paint code LY3H)
                      I'm well chuffed with it, as I'd heard and read the horror stories of red paint being a colour that is hard to match up. Not sure if that's true, the paint sprayer on here will know more.
                      But, I'm chuffed to bits at how, after getting rid of the pink, the OEM paint has come up great and is a bloody good match to the new. I have half a litre of it left too, should I need it again at some point.
                      I'm using laser red produced into a spray tin/rattle can to do the trim and mirrors etc. Same place that the painter bought the paint from, are the people who have made me up two sray cans.

HTH's
                      Jas..
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

So what jungle juice protects that restored paint from the elements - and for how long, before you need another week of OCD therapy ?

Paul
                        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Jas,

That's the earlier type ECU setup. Has your car got the big metal MAF instead of the S2 style plastic tube? I can't see the pictures at work because of our firms knee jerk internet policy!.

I'm pretty sure cruise can be activated on that ECU but I would need to look through my wiring/fault finding binders to be sure.

As for the foglights I don't think the connector will be there behind the dash. I have looked at the looms on the FA and the front lighting loom is the same across the board so the foglight connectors are there on all models. The dash loom is car specific though so unless it has fogs the connectors more than likely won't be there. I've got the connector sat at home so look forward to hearing how you finish the wiring so I can match it.

While we're on the subject of wiring does anyone have the 95 on (S chassis) wiring diagrams for a TDi? Mine only go up to '94 model year which is fine for the S2 but a PITA when trying to work on the DagDag.

Ben
                          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Forgot to mention other mods.

My standard brakes didn't struggle too much at ADI but I have since converted to the G60 calipers with V6 discs. TBH they are not a lot better. Worth it if you need to change the brakes but unless you are going to drive it really hard it's not really worth it.

One mod that is very worthwhile is the shortshift kit. I took the one of my S2 as I found it to be a waste of time. As discussed in other threads it doesn't seem to work well with the 6 speed box. On the TDi though it is a straight fit and makes gearchanges much better. Well worth fitting if you've got one lying around.

EGR delete and intake manifold cleaning are also a good idea for more power and a bit less smoke.

Ben
                            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Thanks Jas, I'd wondered which way round was best to work out my paint woes - i think i'll book my day with The Perfectionist

watching progress with interest
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ben - I have ALL the B3 and B4 wiring from 1992 onwards... I have a master plan to scan in all the elements needed to cover all S2 & RS2 variants - its a bit of a nightmare project as you'll know... But the idea is to create a searchable/clickable spreadsheet that then calls up the schematic required against type, model year and sectional info.

I'll dig out the 1995 TDi schematics and scan them along with the HVAC ones I need to do. Should be this weekend.

Paul
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X