Audi S4 small drag project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice! I like the white engine bay, needs a new coolant reservoir though

Looks like the black spot on the right is a piece of contaminated weld bed as well, i would recommend rewelding that piece after grinding the porosity part if you are already in need of welding it...

Comment

• New exhaust.
      Attached Files

Comment

• that will be loud in your face. Consider new windscreen stickers every run on the strip as they will melt

Comment

• Well, this is a temporary setup till i try the new turbo. If this is a good match, i will try to have made an light alumiunium exhaust, usual way !

Comment

• Updates
            Been to Budapest, my tunners did the settings for the new turbo , power as in graph.
            There have been some problems managing the boost, first time could not get over 1.6bars, there where tried muliple solution, in final it was found a workaround which allowed the boost to be rised up, it did 800h@7500@ 2 bars.
            On a side note, there is a big difference in spool over the last 67mm turbo, over 1200 rpm for reaching the same boost, first i thinked it has to do with boost control - n75 valve, but even with wastegate shutddown the spool was only 100rpm faster.
            It seems that the gap between 78mm and 67mm turbo is to big - at least for my setup, maybe for a high reving engine, it is better.
            Probably the 67mm, on the edge, without any leaks could have been 800hp, for me and keeped the wider powerband i had.
            On the bright side, no missfiresm, no other problems. The tuner (bauer racing), told me that 900hp, could be reached with another 0.4 boost.
            I'll soon try the setup on drag streep to see how it goes. My 2 cent is , that it will no go faster
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by vcosmin View Post
              If this is a good match, i will try to have made an light alumiunium exhaust, usual way !
              Wow, hope your ex-temp dosn't exceed 660C degrees..?

Nice power levels!!!

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• turbine wheels / 5 runs

I really see it flying thru exhaust , over me, and small bits afterwards. Engine seems to be runing smooth thou

It was something like, power , power, then nothing ! broken wheng changing from 2-3 !
                Attached Files

Comment

• End of that turbo! Not happen with a Holset.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                  Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                  BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                  BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• True, till proven wrong

Waiting for some turbo expert ... ideas, why it might hapened hapened ?

Comment

Updates
                      Been to Budapest, my tunners did the settings for the new turbo , power as in graph.
                      There have been some problems managing the boost, first time could not get over 1.6bars, there where tried muliple solution, in final it was found a workaround which allowed the boost to be rised up, it did 800h@7500@ 2 bars.
                      On a side note, there is a big difference in spool over the last 67mm turbo, over 1200 rpm for reaching the same boost, first i thinked it has to do with boost control - n75 valve, but even with wastegate shutddown the spool was only 100rpm faster.
                      It seems that the gap between 78mm and 67mm turbo is to big - at least for my setup, maybe for a high reving engine, it is better.
                      Probably the 67mm, on the edge, without any leaks could have been 800hp, for me and keeped the wider powerband i had.
                      On the bright side, no missfiresm, no other problems. The tuner (bauer racing), told me that 900hp, could be reached with another 0.4 boost.
                      I'll soon try the setup on drag streep to see how it goes. My 2 cent is , that it will no go faster
                      The boost difference is due to the massive increase in turbine size for me not the compressor

Comment

• In my case only difference in hotside is going to 0.96 from 0.81 , the ramp-rate seems tad slower also.

Honestly on drag strip the the lag was not se noticeable - like in video - street tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5lVvrVk5tw

Sadly, the timing did not work, so it was a street style startup !

Comment

• Yeah but the ar is t4 sized it is huge
                          .68 t4 is approx .84 t3
                          .96 t4 is like 1.20 t3 or larger
                          I would guess street performance would suffer but drag be excellent

Comment

turbine wheels / 5 runs

I really see it flying thru exhaust , over me, and small bits afterwards. Engine seems to be runing smooth thou

It was something like, power , power, then nothing ! broken wheng changing from 2-3 !
                            That's a shame, most likely a complete write-off since the compressor will be damaged as well. Last CompTurbo for you i reckon?
                            Looks like failed friction weld between shaft & turbine rotor casting. But why? I have only seen this on VGT turbo's after thousands of loadsteps 100% -> 0% -> 100% throttle.

Perhaps the clearance was too small on turbine side and turbine made contact with housing.. we will never know because it is hardly impossible to find out now. Make pics of the rest of the parts to get some clues. Do you have any ECU log data from when this happenend?

Comment

• Compresor is in perfect shape, spining without problems. When i will the car at home i will open the turbo. The housing also have a big crack on it, it is like the turbine split in two, dont saw other manufacturers turbines wheel, but this one is very heavy!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv0tD_weLYg

vs a5 tdi revo stage 3 , 340+ hp

Comment

Working...
                                X