No announcement yet.

My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok mate , if you think its not saveable ? i had my old ones blasted and coated and they came out really well , but the rear box one got destroyed along the line
    NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

• Yea really it's quite rotten, if it would have survived electrolysis I would have used it and repainted it.
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• What a hot weekend, with temps in the 30s I found it very difficult and sweaty, but if I am sweating, may as well be sweating doing some work.

Drive shafts rebuilt

Diff installed, and drive shafts bolted up. More new brake lines made.

Another Rs4 heat-shield, didn't quite fit, so had to elongate the holes so the shield would slide on.

Painted

Sorting out the ABS lines.

Test fitted the disc and caliper, so there wouldn't be any surprised down the road.

Fitted the front subframe, struts, I used the old discs+spacers to fit the wheels, and refreshed the steering arms I got from Acidburn, which also included bambridge inner bushes.

You can see the new bambridge bushs here on this incorrectly fitted steering arm assy, I could tell the heat was getting to me, as I couldn't figure out how the arms went together.
        Had to refer to etka in the end.

On the ground, first time in 8 months.
        Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:26.
        Eric

Comment

• yes they go on the inside of the bracket, I purchased a car off another forum member who had been running the car with the arms on the outside of the bracket as above and on a hard lock it had actually pulled the bush thru the arm and he lost steering on one side. The tyres was shocking and some was about 3/4 completely bald and down to the canvas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
            yes they go on the inside of the bracket, I purchased a car off another forum member who had been running the car with the arms on the outside of the bracket as above and on a hard lock it had actually pulled the bush thru the arm and he lost steering on one side. The tyres was shocking and some was about 3/4 completely bald and down to the canvas.
            Wow. Scary stuff.
            Eric

Comment

• Such awesome work, love this project
              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                Wow. Scary stuff.
                yeah, it was completely stripped out inside, I drove it back home and it was making some weird noises. To be fair, the previous owner didn't know that and wouldn't have thought anything was different. If you'd have tried putting the arms back correctly then the steering would have been out very badly.

I had a gray tdi avant that had the tracking setup to sort this years ago, it was only just before i got rid of the car we found out the arms was like that, we tried them the proper way around and it sounded like a old 70's american cop car with the tyres screeching at any slight steering correction and above 20mph.

Another thing to check is the condition of the metal bracket that holds the arms together, check this is either new or not cracked as its quite common for them to fail and makes the steering even more awful.

when you get it back on the floor, check tighteness of the two nuts on this bracket, then drive it a mile or so and check again. Another forum member took his avant to have the tracking done, and after having it done between then and the following weekend the tracking had gone out after this working lose even with it being double checked for tightness. Cost him big for the tracking to be done fully twice.

Comment

• Thanks, oh also please ignore that nasty engine mount
                  Eric

Comment

• This should be a sticky! Complete S2 restoration guide.. thank you!!
                    www.quattro.ca
                    B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                    B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

• Updates? Hows it going Eric?
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Still moving forward, but hurt my back a few weeks ago over a trivial non-car related activity, so progress has slowed slightly. I am fine now but the back is still a bit weak, so I will wait until next weekend to continue. Itching to get back at it

Thanks for asking.
                        Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                          Still moving forward, but hurt my back a few weeks ago over a trivial non-car related activity, so progress has slowed slightly. I am fine now but the back is still a bit weak, so I will wait until next weekend to continue. Itching to get back at it Thanks for asking.
                          Sorry to hear about your back. Good to hear that you are on the mend.

I just noticed that your photo of the S2 on the ground. You do know that rolling the car with no axles in the front (or rear) wheel bearings will kill the bearings, right?

(Fingers crossed that you didn't roll it).
                          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Good catch, and it would but I have the cv outer without the shafts themselves in the bearing, with the bolt adequately torqued up.
                            You can see the cv outers in the third last photo.

I did this as it has to be able to roll (to go for paint) and I didn't want the shafts themselves spinning aimlessly.
                            Eric

Comment

• the underneth of the back of yours reminds me of mine :-)

what front brake setup a are you using ? 996?
                              NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

• Lol sweet

Yea standard Porsche 323mm affair up front.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X