Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

• Excellent color, success in works!

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
        Had some time tonight to get a small job done.

Insert Part No.

Threads still needed a little clean out, so I used one of the old inserts I took out as a sort of thread cleaner, making sure it could go all the way in easily.
        I only put a bead of sealant about halve way up all the way around the thread, and screwed the seat in, in a way thinking of the day I might be removing them. At least there will be the top half that wont be glued in.

All seats went in all the way.

Injectors next. I didn't want buy new injectors right now, and these were working perfectly before, so hopefully they are still ok. They each got a coat of por15.

Injectors with seals were a snug fit. A bit of brake fluid helped ease them in.

New clips, old ones looked bad.

Still have got to get a few new bolts, but I am happy with the look.
        Really nice and tidy! Shame I didn't get my intake done as well, ruins the look of the engine bay but you've done this car justice and saved it from the scrappers which is something you can really be proud of
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Thanks guys, It means alot.

The colour is the same as AndersS2, see here That's my holy grail.
          Seems an impossible task, but little by little things are now again getting done.

Onto todays little bit.

G4 Timing pin:

I didn't want to be wishing I did this, after breaking down at the side of the road sometime in the future, and after seeing a few threads here I decided it had to be done.

My dual mass flywheel is in very good condition, no play at all.

Here is the culprit of future problems.

A quick blast of the wire brush , shows the pin is just held there with magic, and we all know magic wears out.

I welded it with the MIG, high current, low wire speed and keeping the weld far from the outside edge so as not to interfere with the timing, and the weld as small as so its effect on balance is minimised. Hopefully.

I decided to do the spigot bearing too.

I was surprised how easy it pushed out.

New bearing in.
          Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:38.
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Very nice Eric
            I keep having nightmares that I welded my pin in the wrong place, luckily I got JP to balance my flywheel and pressure plate separately to the crank assembly so I have a get-out if need be
            I guess it can't be that vulnerable to very small inaccuracies as the block style pin on the DM flywheel is larger than the pressed cylindrical pin on the SM.
            I still don't really understand how the DM pin is secured to the flywheel,it must be resistance welded or something
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Just spent hour and a half reading the whole thread, and I must say, one of the best restorations I've ever seen. Car will look and drive like new Just got an ANN powered urS4, so good to see the engine part of this thread. Can't wait for updates

Subscribed!!!
              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Very nice Eric
                I keep having nightmares that I welded my pin in the wrong place, luckily I got JP to balance my flywheel and pressure plate separately to the crank assembly so I have a get-out if need be
                I guess it can't be that vulnerable to very small inaccuracies as the block style pin on the DM flywheel is larger than the pressed cylindrical pin on the SM.
                I still don't really understand how the DM pin is secured to the flywheel,it must be resistance welded or something
                I hope so anyway.

I think its resistance welded, and it would probably last lifetime of flywheel, but just didn't want to risk it since its been kicking around an enginebuilders workshop and my own for over a year

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                Just spent hour and a half reading the whole thread, and I must say, one of the best restorations I've ever seen. Car will look and drive like new Just got an ANN powered urS4, so good to see the engine part of this thread. Can't wait for updates

Subscribed!!!

You are too kind, but there are far better restorations on this forum
                Hopefully the car will be like new Thats what I want lol

To get that "New Car Smell", I have to do something about the interior.
                Everything has to come out, my carpet is in good condition but needs a clean, the underlay has to be replaced. The heater matrix also has to be replaced at this stage.
                I also want to go black headliner, and trim.

Interior has gone moldy after being laid up for so long.

Nearly forgot about these bolts holding onto the heater system

All out, I want to remove the existing MPT1340 alarm and repair the damage to the loom. I intend to replace it with a TOAD alarm.

Storage. On the top shelf you can see my recaros, and the makeshift shelf holding up the dash so it doesnt squish the leather of the seats.

How do I remove this?
                Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:39.
                Eric

Comment

• See the little 5mm circular pegs? Just tap them down and retrieve once you've lifted the foot rest trim and carpet.

Comment

• Excellent thanks.
                    Eric

Comment

To get that "New Car Smell", I have to do something about the interior.
                      Everything has to come out, my carpet is in good condition but needs a clean, the underlay has to be replaced. The heater matrix also has to be replaced at this stage.
                      I also want to go black headliner, and trim.
                      New car smell is a great idea, or at least getting rid of the old car smell would be for me and my cars as well, really enjoying the thread so far, but this bit will have extra resonance for me as I also want to go black, my with interior, to match my Recaros.

Comment

• Thanks. I have also got some black alcantara on order to do the door cards, while the car is at paint.
                        That has got to be fun
                        Eric

Comment

Thanks. I have also got some black alcantara on order to do the door cards, while the car is at paint.
                          That has got to be fun
                          Can't wait to see how you go about doing the door cards, when I was doing them on my A100, it didn't work out as I wished.
                          '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                          '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• That interior is going to look great.... I plan to do my headlining at some point too
                            Its amazing how much space all the interior takes up when its out of the car, and keeping it all stored safely is quite a challenge so I like your rudimentary shelf
                            I had good results cleaning my "new" carpet - hung it up and jet-washed it first to blast out all the real ingrained grime and then biological washing powder and also fabric softener
                            Came out looking and smelling like new
                            I've heard you can use an o-zone generator to remove any residual odours from the interior, not sure if it works but you can hire them quite cheaply I might give it a go when mine's all back together
                            So is the engine build-up complete now Eric?
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yep powerwash is the way to go.

No, engine isn't together yet. Main focus is to get car to paint, and while that's gone finish off the engine and interior.
                              Eric

Comment

• I am amazed at your commitment to doing everything "right" in one go, and too keep going!

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                Its amazing how much space all the interior takes up when its out of the car, and keeping it all stored safely is quite a challenge
                                I covered the floor of a freshly decorated room for about a year before sticking it in the loft, didnt go down to well
                                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X