No announcement yet.

My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent job, some dedication there dealing with the rusty bits!
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      Fantastic job on all this Eric. Most people would have run away from this project, screaming, with their aprons over their head (think Monty Python).
      Sometimes I wish I ran away screaming.. . But the shell is sorted now. And the little pieces are coming together nicely.

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
      Excellent job, some dedication there dealing with the rusty bits!
      Thanks mate.
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Gearbox time.

Quite grotty looking.

I lost complete track of time doing this.

Measured the depth of the seal again , which turns out to be pointless really as the new seal is a slightly different shape.

Seems to be very red, is that rust from the cast iron section?
        Needless to say all that was mopped up, and the magnet was cleaned. I will probably change the oil again quite soon just to be sure.

All cleaned up and painted.

Seal goes in as far as the stop. Calipers was used to verify that I have the seal in square.

Same here

Another seal

Before and after below.

Cleaned flanges

Mounts arrived yesterday, had to 'test' fit them Thanks Bambridge
        Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:19.
        Eric

Comment

your going to be dodging puddles rather that potholes with that car eric
          thats great work again fair play to ya !!
          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Not much has been happening over the last few weeks, other 'reallife' jobs had to be done, but in the spare hours in the evenings I was able to get a few things done.

Main pulley had rusted so it had to be cleaned.

All cv joints were rebuilt, but the fronts needed new abs rings. The old ones had cracked off. After cleaning they came out ok, got light coat of paint and put into the freezer, I heated the ring with a hot air gun and the ring went on with out trouble. You can still see the condensation on one of the joints.

Starter motor was fine, just mucky looking, take apart, clean and rebuild.

Alternator had seized, so was a bit of fun taking apart. Not much damage just rust on the stator. Bearing were shot, so they were replaced, but the slip ring got damaged when removing one of the bearings, so that was replaced. As was the regulator.

Just a test clean on the throttle actuator.

Stainless M5x50 allen head finish this off nicely.
            Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:19.
            Eric

Comment

Very nice work

Comment

You are a sick person.. this is concourse style restoration.
                I would be scared to drive it.

Very impressive. Keep it up.

Cheers
                www.quattro.ca
                B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I am sick lol.

This week was a good week, my head and block are finished.

Collected my bits yesterday, I think they look quite well after glass blasting.

My head was done twice. Only because after the head was done, the engine shop got new blasting equipment, it was taken apart and redone to get the finish here.

New rings, Mains, ACL race big ends, Honed, crank polished, and cylinders honed.

I am a little worried about the excess paint around the oil filter area and return, am I being too fussy or should they really be bare metal.

This coming weekend I am going to try and finish painting my engine bay, fingers crossed.

Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:20.
                  Eric

Comment

Shiney that'll all be a pleasure putting together.. Did cork engine centre do the blasting aswell ?

Comment

Nice projects :-)

Where can I get new ABS ring from?

Comment

The blasting is a tale in itself, short version is that yes cork engines did the blasting you see there, they used to outsource their blasting but that company lost my bits for nearly 2 months. by a company you and I know unfortunately, I have pics of the mess they made of my em I was very surprised by how bad it was. That is the outsource company not corkengines. Eventually my bits were found and blasted by corkengines by new equipment they got as they couldnt rely on that company anymore. Many many sleepless nights were had.

Putting it together will be fun, there are bits there that I didnt take off, (bolt lengths assy order etc) , and bits in the victor gasket set that I have no idea what goes were lol. Will be watching error404s build with eagle eyes

The abs rings I was going to get them from http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/, but they are expensive so I though, hell they are abs rings nothing more complicated so I bought them from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150565748744

INSIDE DIAMETER: 63.9 mm

THICKNESS: 8.3 mm

TEETH ABS-RING: 45
                        Eric

Comment

Is it bad to have paint on the mating faces, or am I being to fussy?
                          Eric

Comment

Sorry to hear about you'd troubles, I must have been lucky so, all though there was a long wait, but seems like everything is good nick from photos, was the cost reasonable, labour wise ?

Comment

The have a good reputation, I think I was the unlucky one.

Price I think was fair, considering what was done. The striped the head a second time foc, just to get that quality finish.

This is how the exhust manifold came back the first time, I am not sure a zinc finish on an exhaust manifold is a good idea, certainly not a finish that can be picked off in places with your fingers. took corkengines an hour in their blaster to fix that, and remove that crap finish.

Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:21.
                              Eric

Comment

Glad your up and running.. 2 months is a long time to worry/wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X