My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here goes another little update.

Most of the last few weekends have been kinda preparing for this weekend. I had to pull dad's old mig welder out of storage where it sat idle for 7 years or so, luckly all it needed was some gas, wire, and tips. Then follow some youtube videos on how to weld body panels

If I am going to be welding, I dont want this anywhere near me.

Luckly tank was nearly empty, just under the red line on the dash, but it was still heavy enough.

This is the offending piece. It's well rotten. And has seperated from the spare wheel well. only one or two spot welds holding it.

Audi wanted a pretty penny for this panel. Luckily it showed up on ebay for the tiniest fraction of the Audi price. Score.

Cut what I needed off the panel, and then test fit it.

Bit by bit it gets stuck to the body. The lower lip gets welded from the inside with many many spot welds.

A bit of POR15

A bit of primer.

Front wings next.
    Got a new toy, its a needle scaler.

Its one of the best tools I have bought recently. It makes short work of all the rust .
    After de-rusting the inner wings , and treating it with metal ready, I gave them a shot of POR15

Both sides look pretty much the same.

As I wanted to move to Vacuum assist, the fuel line bracket and suspension brace had to go. I am going to put the brace back, over the servo, but I have to strengthen the firewall as the bracket will sit a good 1.5inches higher than before.

Ta da.
    Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:14.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Great work. I wish I had the space/lift to do similar ! Put the engine back in coupe yesterday, I reality I just can't take on a rebuild like yours until I get a good work space sorted . I live by the sea so rust is a acquaintance of mine also ! Keep up the good work, it'll be worth it in the end .
      1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Good work!

Was that an expensive needle gun?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks stocious, great news that your engine is going back in. Sometimes when I look at the car, I start to panic, but I just concentrate on one thing and just try and do that. Will see

Thanks Andy,

The needler was £65 + 12 shipping.
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200863259634

I was skeptical at first, but once you start using it its fantastic. There is a bit out in the front of the car, where the toe eye meets the chassis via a straight bar. It gets quite tight where it meets the chassis leg. Mine was very rusty , no room for a wire brush, or grinder, just point and shoot and the rust flies off. Treat the metal and paint.
          Eric

Comment

[QUOTE=irishs2;706328]Thanks stocious, great news that your engine is going back in. Sometimes when I look at the car, I start to panic, but I just concentrate on one thing and just try and do that. Will see

Past the panic, just a bit lost as to which way to attack it again.. Had to pass on a few jobs wich I had planned/budgeted for with the engine which I'm not happy about but such is life ! Need to get the excitement back in it somehow, 1 part after the other of NLA over the last few weeks. I even sold a car and watched how little it actually covered for the coupe is crazy lol

Comment

I thought Canadian cars were bad..

Subsribed!!
              www.quattro.ca
              B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
              B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

still going well i see , mines back on 4 wheels now and has just come out of the paint shop !
                NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Sweet, my suspension is blasted and painted, just still scraping under seal off , heat gun +scraper and wire grinder seem to to the trick. I think it will be another month before I get it on all fours again
                  Eric

Comment

With the long weekend here, I took the opportunity to do more work to the car. Fitting the bearings didn't have to be done right now, but the monotony of underseal scraping was so much that doing the bearings was a welcome relief.

Hub carriers all cleaned up, turned out pretty good.
                    New bearing ready to go in.

Bearings went in without issue. Yes I know my bench is messy

Fronts done with hubs pressed in.

Same again with the rear.

Bearing fully seated.

Hubs were pained with aluminium paint, shaft was polished, and the front face only got the very lightest dusting of paint.

Silky smooth.

Its hard to believe these were so rusty, yet after cleaning the part number detail is still there.

Test fit of hub and strut.

This has got to be the worst job so far on the car.

3 solid days of scraping, and wirebrushing and almost there now.
                    Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:15.
                    Eric

Comment

Good work with the underseal
                      Coming along nicely !

Comment

Those hub carriers have come up really well!

[QUOTE=irishs2;713541]

Is that one of these kinds of kit?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

This was the one, although I have no idea what the 4 smaller bolts are for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290842533261
                          Eric

Comment

Awesome, thanks. Will be adding one to the birthday list

Have you ever used it on the car?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Afraid not, I just bought it out of frustration as my 20ton press failed to press out one of my front bearings, then while lying in bed that night it dawned on me to bleed the bottle jack on the press. Doh!

Unfortunately I think my set is incomplete for doing bearings while on the car. You will need to add a support for getting the hub out, as none are included unlike that bmw one saltinot linked to.
                              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                                This was the one, although I have no idea what the 4 smaller bolts are for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290842533261

The smaller bolts are Force screws to remove the hub! Assuming they were of the correct size and pitch. You screw them into the wheel bolt holes as diagonally as possible until they bottom out on something or place a packer behind them and wind the hub out by alternately tightening the screws. You could do the same with wheel bolts and packers at a push!
                                Presumably you were able to extract those bearing with that kit?
                                Last edited by twoqu; 19 March 2013, 16:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X