No announcement yet.

80q => RS2 Saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your talklng about GTX turbos the compressor flow is greater than the the cast ones. The 3076r in cast form works so well because it's on the limit of both compressor and turbine flow.
    With the 3076r you will hit a ceiling, get a 3576r with the bigger turbine wheel and there is no turbine flow limitation.

End of the day it's your money and your choice of turbo, if it was my money and i've been in this position last year and did a hell of a lot of research I wouldn't buy the gtx3076r. Go for the gtx3071r up to 500 bhp or the gtx3576r if you want more bhp than 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      Your talklng about GTX turbos the compressor flow is greater than the the cast ones. The 3076r in cast form works so well because it's on the limit of both compressor and turbine flow.
      With the 3076r you will hit a ceiling, get a 3576r with the bigger turbine wheel and there is no turbine flow limitation.

End of the day it's your money and your choice of turbo, if it was my money and i've been in this position last year and did a hell of a lot of research I wouldn't buy the gtx3076r. Go for the gtx3071r up to 500 bhp or the gtx3576r if you want more bhp than 500
      Ok, thanks for that. I had done a search and I came across a few posts of yours from last year, but I couldn't draw a clear conclusion, there are some quite varied opinions. I obviously can't afford to buy every turbo in that will produce ~500hp and test which one I like the feel of most so I'm going to have to go on people's experience and whatever data I can use.

The GTX3576r isn't listed on the Garrett website, I'll look into it though.
      92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
      63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
      69 Austin Mini Cooper
      71 MGB GT
      75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
      04 Kawasaki GPX250
      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Just had a read through your thread. Just wanted to make a suggestion that might help, I know of a forum member and good friend (hoffer76) who has a load of RS2 bits that would be of interest to you. He recently offered them to me for my S2 Avant but I don't fancy doing a replica. Might be worth getting in touch before they get advertised. I'm sure he said hes got bumpers, mirrors and interior etc. Also he deals with a lot of different turbos. I bought mine new from him (gt3076) and I'm sure hes got a few others including gtx's "in stock" at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by twenty valve View Post
          Just had a read through your thread. Just wanted to make a suggestion that might help, I know of a forum member and good friend (hoffer76) who has a load of RS2 bits that would be of interest to you. He recently offered them to me for my S2 Avant but I don't fancy doing a replica. Might be worth getting in touch before they get advertised. I'm sure he said hes got bumpers, mirrors and interior etc. Also he deals with a lot of different turbos. I bought mine new from him (gt3076) and I'm sure hes got a few others including gtx's "in stock" at the moment
          Cheers for that, I've sent him a PM.
          98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
          69 Austin Mini Cooper
          71 MGB GT
          04 Kawasaki GPX250
          96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Nice, same as I but much power:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59479

Will follow this!
            1000HP RS2 SEDAN project!
            Follow this at 07K Motorsport

-JONUS RACING-

Comment

I've just returned from 2 years working in Australia and New Zealand so this hasn't really progressed, as you'd imagine.

I'm not in a position to build the 20VT at the moment, but there are some issues I need to address just to keep this car on the road;
              - First and most major is that the Torsen diff has failed and put a hole in the gearbox, amazingly it still drives albeit with a lot of unpleasent noise. I picked up a gearbox on Sunday, so soon to be resolved.
              - Engine has a lot of valve noise, I changed the lifters and check valves 3 years ago which cured the problem for 2 weeks, it is now worse than ever. I don't want to change the lifters again if that isn't where the issue lies.
              - Fuel economy is poor and idle is lumpy, read the codes and showing lambda sensor fault, they're only 8 years and 40k miles old, I would have expected more. I've ordered new Bosch ones.

All these issues are taking time and money away form the actual aim of the project, but it's more important to me to keep the car on the road than it is to do anything else at the moment.

Some good things;
              - I finally have a leather rear seat to go with the rest of the leather interior I fitted in 2009! You wouldn't believe how hard these are to find.

- I have a pair of RHD RS2 mirrors, one step closer!

Does anyone know of an RS2 rear bumper for sale at a reasonable price?. It's probably the last major bodywork item I need. Is the grille available from Tradition? I haven't seen one for sale for some time now.
              Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 10:47.
              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
              69 Austin Mini Cooper
              71 MGB GT
              04 Kawasaki GPX250
              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Welcome home!!

Comment

Welcome back mate
                  Just thinking, your poor running might be due to a vacuum leak in the intake soomewhere. Check all the small bore hoses and replace if they look dodgy.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Get that i5 in there !

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      Welcome back mate
                      Just thinking, your poor running might be due to a vacuum leak in the intake soomewhere. Check all the small bore hoses and replace if they look dodgy.
                      I'm hoping it's the lambda sensors now I've bought 2! I will have a look at the vacuum hoses while I'm undoing those awkward top gearbox bolts! It's the valve noise that worries me though.

Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
                      Get that i5 in there !
                      I'm so far off being able to afford building that at the moment, I've pretty much come home to 2 years worth of maintenance so I'm trying to prioritise which basically means essential work only for the moment.

That exhaust manifold of yours is still here if you want to come and collect it?
                      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                      69 Austin Mini Cooper
                      71 MGB GT
                      04 Kawasaki GPX250
                      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

The rain finally stopped today meaning this could happen;

Working on the wet drive is certainly a hardship after having use of a workshop with a 2 post hoist for the last couple of years!

I stripped the box down to get the input shaft out to use as a clutch centring tool and this is what I found in the Torsen diff;

I'm not sure whether the thrust washer of the spur gear failed first, it's amazing that it was still driving for the last 4 months with no oil in the gearbox, with the exception of first and reverse, all the gear teeth look like they've been getting pretty hot.
                        Last edited by 80Quattro; 6 August 2017, 02:50. Reason: Photobucket are cunts
                        98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                        69 Austin Mini Cooper
                        71 MGB GT
                        04 Kawasaki GPX250
                        96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

This is not the biggest of updates, but today an exciting delivery arrived for me in the UK. A genuine, complete and undamaged RS2 rear bumper No pictures I'm afraid as I'm still the other side of the world, but it's taken me 6 years of searching and 3 failed purchases to be able to get hold of a good one at a fair price. Now I just need a front bumper and the lower door trims!

In other updates, the car is still going well in my absence. It just passed it's MOT, although both rear brake calipers are sticking slightly, which will eventually be resolved when I fit the Brembos, but probably not before.

Being realistic it's going to be at least a year before I can do anything with this project, but for the meantime I'll keep on the lookout for the parts I still need.
                          98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                          69 Austin Mini Cooper
                          71 MGB GT
                          04 Kawasaki GPX250
                          96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Congrats! I know that feeling well. Searching and searching and then finally scoring that seemingly impossible part. Be careful....it's a drug.

I thought I saw the lower door trims in Audi Tradition's web store. Not cheap, but decent used ones are almost non-existent.

Comment

Another piece in the puzzle;

1D46A22E-C86D-43B2-8A73-E2DC31FFC58F by Matt4475, on Flickr

Good points;
                              - It's a genuine Audi part
                              - Both front and all grille mountings are intact
                              - It cost £100

Bad points;
                              - It has 2 cracks which will need plastic welding and a small hole filling
                              - Both rear mountings are completely missing, I'll have to source some from another bumper, or make some. I can't see either option being easy.

Excuse the poor phone camera pictures, it's actually Nogaro blue!

A bit of a general update on the car and the next stages for this project.

I'm still working outside the UK so I'm limited to sourcing parts, I should be returning in April. The car will be coming off the road in the next week and put into storage, I've tried to keep it on the road, but after 4 years I think it's reached the point that it's too difficult and too expensive to find people to look after it for me.

The current issues are;
                              - Ignition barrel broken internally
                              - Both rear brake calipers sticking
                              - Battery doesn't hold charge
                              - Needs new top mounts, again!
                              - Excessive valve noise, definitely lifters but not worth fixing.
                              - Fuel lines rusty and need replacing

Nothing major, but I've almost got enough parts to start focusing on the conversion rather than just keeping it going. As I no longer require the car as a daily driver, I think I'll just look to do everything at once.

If anyone can help, the parts I still require are;

Body

- Front grille, looking for genuine, will buy new if I don't find anything
                              - Lower door trims
                              - Full set of doors with lugs for trim as fitted to all S2s and most 80s from 92 onwards
                              - Pair of front wings, new genuine

Running gear

- Rear handbrake assembly
                              - Brackets for 911 Turbo monoblock calipers

Interior

- Black leather Recaros, must be heated
                              - Full set of black door triggers
                              - Gear lever leather boot
                              - Climate control retrofit
                              Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 10:58.
                              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                              69 Austin Mini Cooper
                              71 MGB GT
                              04 Kawasaki GPX250
                              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

I'm back in the UK for the first time in 2 years, I'm only here for a couple of months, but I'm hoping to make some progress with this.

First of all, the car needs some work, it hasn't had much attention since 2012 so there's a lot. I've fitted a new ignition barrel as the old one had snapped like they do. The front bumper was damaged, presumably by someone reversing into it the driving off. It had bent both bracket, cracked one of the mounting points and broken both indicators. I did some pretty dubious plastic welding with a soldering iron, not pretty, but it worked.

39BD9CF8-BF35-4672-9774-8CF6C4A88011 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I'm just short of a LH indicator now.

I had a couple of bits for the interior that had been waiting for me to fit them. First off I got an inertia reel lap belt for the rear seat, it's a big improvement over having a few feet of belt across the rear seat.

DSC_2420_1 by Matt4475, on Flickr

Second was a new head unit, I've been looking for a period correct Blaupunkt for a while, I never listen to CDs, so having a cassette isn't an issue. I bought 2 units that were both faulty in different ways and made one good one. Still some wiring issues to overcome, but here's a picture of it half fitted.

DSC_2426 by Matt4475, on Flickr

I'm really pleased with it, functionally it has everything I want and it looks perfect.

I haven't neglected the RS2 project, I've been busy collecting parts. I have almost everything for the brakes and running gear now and I'm hoping to start fitting that very soon, so with any luck I'll be able to post a few updates.

I have a lot of the body items now, the major one I'm missing is the lower door trims. I've also had a very hard time finding a decent front bumper, the one I've got is good, but missing both mountings to the inner wheel arch and I don't know how to make them. Here's a terrible picture which just about shows my issue.

3719F495-E6A9-45FE-9EBB-304B47A94C36 by Matt4475, on Flickr

That's about it for the moment, I've only been back a few days, so I'm still trying to organise everything before I start anything more major.
                                Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 11:01.
                                98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                                69 Austin Mini Cooper
                                71 MGB GT
                                04 Kawasaki GPX250
                                96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Working...
                                X